PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Divine Arcanist

Jades
2006-12-05, 11:41 PM
Divine Arcanist
You can prepare spells from a spellbook.
Prerequisites: Divine Focus (Magic), Knowledge (Arcane) 5 ranks, level 6
Benefit: You are capable of casting arcane spells like a wizard of a class equal to your effective wizard level. You prepare these spells seperately from your cleric spells, and take an extra hour to prepare.

I don't think that I know the words to describe the way I see the benefit...

Your Magic Domain's granted power is

Use scrolls, wands, and other devices with spell completion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#spellCompletion) or spell trigger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#spellTrigger) activation as a wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#wizard) of one-half your cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm) level (at least 1st level). For the purpose of using a scroll or other magic device, if you are also a wizard, actual wizard levels and these effective wizard levels stack.

and I basically am mulling over the idea of making it so that a cleric with the magic domain could potentially begin to use the "effective wizard levels" to gain arcane spells per day.

A sixth level cleric with this feat, would also have the spells of a third level wizard. At twentieth level, its a tenth level wizard.

Is this completely broken? How do I phrase it?

worldbuilding is so much easier...

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-06, 12:21 AM
This is incredibly broken, IMO. Using scrolls and wands is one thing, but actually gaining spells per day? Not something you should be able take a feat for.

If this feat allowed you to have a spellbook with arcane spells in it, and to prepare spells from the spellbook using your cleric spell slots, that would be one thing, but this...

Jades
2006-12-06, 12:32 AM
Yeah, that was what I was thinking, but that is essentially then the bonus "spells" domain.

But, compare to the Leadership feat, which would give you a wizard two levels below you that follows you and can cast spells in the same round as you. Whereas this one allow you to channel some of the same power that you could just have somebody else do.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-06, 12:37 AM
So what's wrong with that?

icke
2006-12-06, 10:31 AM
This feat is extremely broken, as it doubles for at least one prestige class I know. Mystic Theurge, anyone? Evenworse, Mystic Theurge with cleric HP, BAB and saves.

But, compare to the Leadership feat, which would give you a wizard two levels below you that follows you and can cast spells in the same round as you. Whereas this one allow you to channel some of the same power that you could just have somebody else do.

Yeah, leadershipped characters get that, but all challenges are recalculated as if Your party had an extra member of the cohort's level - as it has. Plus, the cohort takes his share of XP, and what other feat can claim to do that.

XtheYeti
2006-12-06, 12:55 PM
Divine Arcanist
Prerequisites: Divine Focus (Magic), Knowledge (Arcane) 6 ranks, level 6
Benefit: You are capable of casting arcane spells like a wizard of a class equal to your effective wizard level. These spells count against your daily spells avalible, and must be prepared from a spell book as a wizard prepares spells. You must prepare these spell separate from your cleric spells. You must use any focus, or components needed.

There much more balanced.

icke
2006-12-11, 10:22 AM
I'm with the Yeti.

Even so, I think it's still VERY powerfull, since the caster gets access to spells normally prohibited to him. Nobody wants to see a fireball-whirling wizard cast healing spells, so why should the cleric be allowed to learn fireball?

The Mystic Theurge class has this versatility at the cost of 3 caster levels, the most important ressource for any spellcaster...

Yakk
2006-12-11, 11:47 AM
Divine Arcanist
Prerequisites: Divine Focus (Magic), Knowledge (Arcane) 6 ranks, level 6
Benefit: You are capable of using your Divine spell slots on Wizard arcane spells. These spells must be memorized as normal, and take a spell slot 1 leve greater than the original Wizard spell. Taking this feat once gives access to cantrips, twice to L 1 spells, three times to L 2 spells, etc.

Triaxx
2006-12-11, 02:13 PM
I'd add an INT requirement, so you'd have to build towards this. Otherwise my cleric can use INT as his dump stat, and then get wizard spells without wizard levels.

Yakk
2006-12-11, 04:10 PM
Sure. "You must have an int of 10+spell level to aquire this feat, and to memorize and cast the spells. The spell's resistance is based off of your int, and your effective caster level for these spells is 1/2 of the divine class you are stealing spell slots from."

The point is, one feat shouldn't turn you into a cleric/wizard hybrid.

A L 20 cleric has 7 feats. That would be access to up to L 6 wizard spells (using L 7 spell slots) if they burned all their feats on it. Still pretty damn powerful -- probably still too powerful!

Triaxx
2006-12-11, 07:02 PM
Which would in turn require an INT of 16, and preclude any other feat taking. If you're that dedicated to becoming a 'swiss army caster' it's probably not that powerful.

icke
2006-12-12, 06:01 AM
It is still more powerfull than cross-classing, even to a double caster prestige class(I'm tired of using the Mystic Theurge example, but it's still the best one I can come up with). Sure the Theurge has more spell slots than Yakk's cleric version, but at the cost of everything else: hit die, BAB, saves, class abilities(turn undead...). And this thing is a prestige class, it should be more powerfull than a standard caster with specialized feat selection.