PDA

View Full Version : +1 girlfriend's +5 make-up cost

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 01:15 AM
So, I want to save on my weapon enchantments. But, to get a custom slotted 2/day command word item of Greater Magic Weapon (+5), I need to pay 43.2k.

Suppose I've already got all sorts of other things to buff my attacks, and the enhancement bonus is the only one I'm missing. Is there an easier/cheaper way to get that +5 or better? I'm open to buffing any sort of weapon type (wooden weapons are fine, if that's necessary), but it will need to be a long-term solution. As long as the duration is 8 hours or more per day, then it should be good.

Alternatively, if there's a comp/sacred/circ/etc bonus that will give me more than +5 with the same requirements as above, that might solve my problem, too.

Edit: solutions using more than 1 feat, or more than 5 class levels aren't going to work in my build, but I would still love to hear them. I'm not eligible for an ancestral relic.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 01:18 AM
Tooth of Leraje in ToM. GMW (CL 20) 1/day for 21k.

Flickerdart
2013-06-26, 01:21 AM
When you are creating custom magic items, you should determine the price based on the result and not the method. As an item that grants +5 enhancement to a weapon is to be priced according to "Weapon bonus (enhancement)" for which the formula is bonus squared times 2000, which is 50,000gp.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 01:22 AM
When you are creating custom magic items, you should determine the price based on the result and not the method. As an item that grants +5 enhancement to a weapon is to be priced according to "Weapon bonus (enhancement)" for which the formula is bonus squared times 2000, which is 50,000gp.The result is a casting of Greater Magic Weapon once per day as a 20th level caster. It's quite inexpensive, relatively speaking.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 01:27 AM
ToM's Tooth of Leraje will save me 1k (I can't maths, apparently), which isn't half bad, especially considering it's slotless.

I'm not sure that it's the end result that you're pricing (I don't see anything about that in the DMG, but I might have missed it). If I wanted to apply some metamagic to GMW, then I would be forced to use the spell pricing, and the weapon enhancement pricing doesn't include duration or x/day uses. Using the spell, it will only last 20 hours, whereas the weapon enhancement lasts forever.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 01:31 AM
ToM's Tooth of Leraje will save me 1k (I can't maths, apparently), which isn't half bad, especially considering it's slotless.

I'm not sure that it's the end result that you're pricing (I don't see anything about that in the DMG, but I might have missed it). If I wanted to apply some metamagic to GMW, then I would be forced to use the spell pricing, and the weapon enhancement pricing doesn't include duration or x/day uses. Using the spell, it will only last 20 hours, whereas the weapon enhancement lasts forever.If you want to see some serious weapon stacking, check this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863) out.

It only really works that well with unarmed strikes, though.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 01:35 AM
I've been afraid to visit that thread after reading the serving skewer/longsword one. Tippy is insane (in a good way). Unfortunately, my build is already set, so there's not too much leeway to do things like get a +26 weapon or other cheese.

Edit: The OP lists the flexibility I've got (1 feat, 5 levels [15-20]), but I've also got cleric 1, wiz 1, UMD, and potentially 1-20 pp or 1 essentia if I switch my race to Azurin/Kalashtar.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 01:40 AM
I've been afraid to visit that thread after reading the serving skewer/longsword one. Tippy is insane (in a good way). Unfortunately, my build is already set, so there's not too much leeway to do things like get a +26 weapon or other cheese.Mine's closer to +30, after everything's said and done. Though that's not including all the +1d6 of various types of always-on energy damage from Holy Strike and whatnot. With those it's...what, +36? And I could have more, if I were allowed to break WBL through one of various means.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I'm looking over your build, and it looks pretty good. Quick question about it - how do you sell back the Training Dummy for full price? I didn't see any magic item creation feats.

Edit: Unless you chaos shuffled them away. I just noticed you used that.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 01:44 AM
Yeah, I'm looking over your build, and it looks pretty good. Quick question about it - how do you sell back the Training Dummy for full price? I didn't see any magic item creation feats.According to the rules of the trial, certain things can be gotten for so very little that they might as well be free, but only so long as the item is no longer in your possession. For one, Planar Binding for free Wishes (so +5s to all stats) and the training dummy (since that retains its value and will be gladly snatched up by any monk, monastery, or dojo with the funds).

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 01:50 AM
But magic items are always sold back at 1/2 price, I thought?

One other thing: where is it in the MIC that you found the base pricing for manyfang? I would love to use that for a few other items...

Rubik
2013-06-26, 01:54 AM
But magic items are always sold back at 1/2 price, I thought?By the normal rules, yes. But any given monk character could easily find a buyer for such a thing, and laugh at whoever tried to rip him off like that. Those things would be in high demand by just about any monk monastery you could name, and it's not like it depreciates. Anyway, that's just part of the contest's rules.

One other thing: where is it in the MIC that you found the base pricing for manyfang? I would love to use that for a few other items...The manyfang dagger is in Savage Species Serpent Kingdoms. According to the MIC, you can lift special properties off of magical items to add to others, and the manyfang property just happens to be worth the equivalent of a +3.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 01:57 AM
Ah, I was asking if you remembered which page number in MIC. It's easy to reverse-calculate the costs of things.

I really like your use of the morphing weapon enchant in your build. I hadn't thought of that when I used morphing on a character (it was a reach fighter, but everyone can use more initiative).

Rubik
2013-06-26, 01:59 AM
Sorry, the manyfang dagger is in Serpent Kingdoms. Typo city.

Ah, I was asking if you remembered which page number in MIC. It's easy to reverse-calculate the costs of things.

I really like your use of the morphing weapon enchant in your build. I hadn't thought of that when I used morphing on a character (it was a reach fighter, but everyone can use more initiative).It's quite useful. A +10 weapon for 1/50 the cost? Yes please!

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 02:08 AM
I might have to try that morphing exploit with this build - it makes having an actual +5 weapon affordable, and since my weapons are incredibly small, it should be fine size-wise.

Is there some way to make something like a free action resetting trap of true strike or something to get +20 to each attack every round?

I see that you used two rings in your build - did you consider the Ring of Might from MoF? It might be useful. Don't worry about typos - I have an index of most useful items (of which the manyfang dagger is part of).

Rubik
2013-06-26, 02:13 AM
I might have to try that morphing exploit with this build - it makes having an actual +5 weapon affordable, and since my weapons are incredibly small, it should be fine size-wise.Don't forget to add sizing, so it can turn into any weapon you want, of any size you want. Metalline will make it any of the important metals, assuming you care for that. Or just make it from aurorum or something.

Is there some way to make something like a free action resetting trap of true strike or something to get +20 to each attack every round?According to the rules in the DMG, yes, but that's also rather abusive. I wouldn't try that in a real game unless it's really high-optimization.

I see that you used two rings in your build - did you consider the Ring of Might from MoF? It might be useful. Don't worry about typos - I have an index of most useful items (of which the manyfang dagger is part of).It wouldn't be very useful (like, at all) to my particular build. For one, the battlefist already makes unarmed strikes 1d8, and the ring doesn't actually give Improved Unarmed Strike (which I already have), and as such it would be useless for a DCFS combo.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 02:26 AM
Don't forget to add sizing, so it can turn into any weapon you want, of any size you want. Metalline will make it any of the important metals, assuming you care for that. Or just make it from aurorum or something.

According to the rules in the DMG, yes, but that's also rather abusive. I wouldn't try that in a real game unless it's really high-optimization.

It wouldn't be very useful (like, at all) to my particular build. For one, the battlefist already makes unarmed strikes 1d8, and the ring doesn't actually give Improved Unarmed Strike (which I already have), and as such it would be useless for a DCFS combo.

I'm making a fluff build rather than a high-PO build, so I'm just trying to shore up my weaknesses with some appropriate PO. I hate that wotc decided that so many of the martial classes didn't deserve full BAB for whatever silly reason.

If I did just use a trap of true strike, then that would be the only +attack I would need, so I could drop knowledge devotion, plus all the other assorted attack buffs I've got (they're over +10, at least. I haven't counted yet). I would have used Divine Power, but an item of that costs 224k minimum, so it's not in the budget, since Mind Blank is always more important. Plus I could find something interesting for my last 5 levels instead of a dull full-bab class. It's such a downer not being a full caster =( So many things to worry about.

Getting +10 effective weapons for 1/50 isn't abusive? =P

Ah, I was just wondering. I didn't look through the whole build, just the items and feats section. I don't know anything about monks, so I figured it would all just go over my head. One other thing - I noticed you were using camouflage paint. Is there any way to merge that with darkvision-invisible paint, perhaps? I keep looking for ways to exploit the stuff, but can't seem to find any fun ways.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 02:37 AM
I'm making a fluff build rather than a high-PO build, so I'm just trying to shore up my weaknesses with some appropriate PO. I hate that wotc decided that so many of the martial classes didn't deserve full BAB for whatever silly reason.Not all of them need it. Psychic warriors, specifically, definitely don't. However, non-caster classes almost assuredly do, swordsage notwithstanding.

If I did just use a trap of true strike, then that would be the only +attack I would need, so I could drop knowledge devotion, plus all the other assorted attack buffs I've got (they're over +10, at least. I haven't counted yet). I would have used Divine Power, but an item of that costs 224k minimum, so it's not in the budget, since Mind Blank is always more important. Plus I could find something interesting for my last 5 levels instead of a dull full-bab class. It's such a downer not being a full caster =( So many things to worry about.Have you considered a rebuild?

There are things you can do which will make it easier to hit enemies without resorting to bonuses, such as inflicting status effects. Try carrying a shield (even if it's just a buckler) with a few Permanencied glyphs and Symbols of- spells attached. Find ways to make yourself invisible, to Hide effectively, to attack flat-footed or with touch-attacks.

Even tanglefoot bags (for entangle) and bags of marbles (to subtract Dex) will work well, assuming you have Quick Draw or something equivalent. Use your lower-BAB'd attacks first using those, followed up by your higher level ones. Nobody ever said what order you have to use those in.

Getting +10 effective weapons for 1/50 isn't abusive? =PWeapons are seriously overpriced anyway. Martial types need all the help they can get.

Ah, I was just wondering. I didn't look through the whole build, just the items and feats section. I don't know anything about monks, so I figured it would all just go over my head. One other thing - I noticed you were using camouflage paint. Is there any way to merge that with darkvision-invisible paint, perhaps? I keep looking for ways to exploit the stuff, but can't seem to find any fun ways.Try a few scrolls of the No Light cantrip with the 2,000 gp ring of the darkhidden (from MIC). You'll be invisible to everyone that can't see through magical darkness.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 02:50 AM
I could do a rebuild, although I'm loathe to do so. I've already spent over a week on this one, and have got all of the things you've mentioned, plus others - FF, touch attacks, hide, miss chance, UMD, balance, polymorph, good saves/low failure, effective pounce, status effects, SoDs (with DCs for non-optimized foes), mind blank, FoM, true seeing, caster denial, spell protection, oodles of damage... the only things I'm really missing are an attack bonus that will consistently hit on my -15 attacks (I think a +30 attack should do it), IHS, and potentially self-healing (I need to look up the regeneration rules). And, of course, full casting.

Are you really sure that you can use the lower iteratives first? I haven't heard of that before, but I guess I've never looked, since in play I always just ask if my lowest attack hit and go from there.

Ah, Ring of the Darkhidden is perfect! I actually don't even need a darkness spell for that work, either, if I just cast invisibility on the paint (with metamagic to get around personal). True seeing is defeated by mind blank, iirc.

Coidzor
2013-06-26, 02:52 AM
Nah, nah, you don't buy +5 make up, you use the spell Greater Magic Makeup to make up the difference and just put other enchantments on your girlfriend.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 02:56 AM
Ah, I was trying to remember whose sig had that in it (one of my favourite sigs on these boards, btw)! Yes, that is what I was going for with the title. Greater magic makeup was too long for a title, though, so I had to condense.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 03:03 AM
I could do a rebuild, although I'm loathe to do so. I've already spent over a week on this one, and have got all of the things you've mentioned, plus others - FF, touch attacks, hide, miss chance, UMD, balance, polymorph, good saves/low failure, effective pounce, status effects, SoDs (with DCs for non-optimized foes), mind blank, FoM, true seeing, caster denial, spell protection, oodles of damage... the only things I'm really missing are an attack bonus that will consistently hit on my -15 attacks (I think a +30 attack should do it), IHS, and potentially self-healing (I need to look up the regeneration rules). And, of course, full casting. I assume that the penalty you refer to is that of your third and fourth iteratives in your attack sequence?

You could take the Wild Cohort feat and train your animal companion to flank while it uses Aid Another. Give IT Wild Cohort and so on so you have a full pack of dire wolves using Aid Another (after they trip, of course). Flanking is +2, and each Aid Another is also a +2.

I'd grab Quick Draw and use your lowest attack or two to fire off alchemical items, marbles, bags of flour (to blind your opponents) and whatnot. You can also invest in nets and lassos and other weapons which inflict status effects. Thunderstones and all sorts of other stuff, as well.

Have you thought about taking 5 levels in master thrower for ranged touch attacks?

Are you really sure that you can use the lower iteratives first? I haven't heard of that before, but I guess I've never looked, since in play I always just ask if my lowest attack hit and go from there.I do not believe there is anything preventing you from using them first, other than the fact that nobody has thought to do so yet (to my knowledge, anyway).

Ah, Ring of the Darkhidden is perfect! I actually don't even need a darkness spell for that work, either, if I just cast invisibility on the paint (with metamagic to get around personal). True seeing is defeated by mind blank, iirc.I'm only using regular paint (black and gray), as it's acting both as a masterwork tool of Hide and is covering up the glow of my mask of flying when I use it. Can't have the stupid glowy mask ruining my invisibility, eh?

Coidzor
2013-06-26, 03:09 AM
I've been told that the iterative order had to go from highest attack bonus to lowest attack bonus and run into cited rules text for it, but I can't recall where it's covered offhand. :/

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 03:17 AM
I'm using TWF, so both my crappier iteratives and the GTWF and ITWF penalties (although in my current revision I dropped GTWF until I could up my attack bonus enough).

I've got Island of Blades and that loyal fire elemental from ToB, plus I think one of my PrCs gives +4 to flanking instead of +2 (I might have taken that one out, though. Wolves aren't really fitting with the fluff for this character. What I put in/take out really depends on me getting a consistent attack bonus, which is why I made the thread instead of muddling through it myself, since it's slowing down the whole process too much).

Quick Draw is obviated by pounce and 10' movement (sparring dummy!), plus I haven't done any sort of quickrazor/war fan shenanigans with this build, so I don't think it will be too useful. A good suggestion, though. I always forget about that feat. Also, I can't actually throw things - this character is hands-challenged. Fukimi-bari could do the trick, but I don't think it's worth it.

I used master thrower for my last build, so I would rather not stick it in again. Plus the pre-reqs are horrendous (both for it and invisible blade. Why can't wotc just properly review and edit their materials for once!). In any case, I anticipate all of my attacks being consistently FF or touch already. But sometimes there's things like ettins that prevent you from doing things like that. I'm trying to be prepared for all situations (If I knew I had a guaranteed cleric/caster to GMW/buff me up, this wouldn't be such a problem).

Hmn, that's a neat trick. I'll definitely have to take advantage of it with some of my other characters whose final iteratives are always going to waste.

If only magic items like that counted as cursed, so that they would be cheaper/easier to obtain. Like that ridiculous flash tunic or whatever from MIC that teleports you, but leaves a giant lightning bolt following in your wake. Gross. If I wanted to change what my spells/magic items looked like, I would just use metamagic or glamers.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 03:23 AM
There's always Great Cleave, Robilar's Gambit, Karmic Strike, Combat Reflexes, and Double-Hit. Make your first attack count, then cleave through everyone around you at your full base attack bonus. Then whenever anyone attacks you, hit them anywhere from two to four times for every attack they make against you, again at full BAB.

Use six levels of martial monk (Dragon #310) to grab the more prereq-intensive feats. It'll be worth the lost BAB, I promise.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 03:31 AM
Iteratives have to be in order? Ah, a shame.

Great cleave + AoOs seems like fun - I had been considering doing power attack TWF for the giggles, but then decided against it (feat cost, attack bonus). I already have combat reflexes, and cleave and great cleave are available from items and PrCs, I believe, so I could potentially pick up robilar's and karmic.

Do weapon enchants affect cleaved targets? eg. poison, con dmg, etc? Also, I wonder if a cleave still counts as "the next attack".

I don't have access to Dragon, but if it's in the Dragon Compendium, I can definitely take a peek. Hopefully I can dump an extra level if it looks worthwhile.

Edit: There's no way to cleave if you're fine-sized, unless I'm missing something... bummer.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 03:51 AM
Iteratives have to be in order? Ah, a shame.While that rule may exist somewhere, I've never seen it, so it might be a houserule or something. Don't discount the idea yet.

Great cleave + AoOs seems like fun - I had been considering doing power attack TWF for the giggles, but then decided against it (feat cost, attack bonus). I already have combat reflexes, and cleave and great cleave are available from items and PrCs, I believe, so I could potentially pick up robilar's and karmic.

Do weapon enchants affect cleaved targets? eg. poison, con dmg, etc? Also, I wonder if a cleave still counts as "the next attack".Unless something in the description says it only works on a certain attack, all of your weapon enhancements should affect every attack you make.

I don't have access to Dragon, but if it's in the Dragon Compendium, I can definitely take a peek. Hopefully I can dump an extra level if it looks worthwhile.The description of it is in my Elder Evil monk description. You trade out 1 skill point per level and the regular monk Knowledge class skills for Intimidate, the ability to multiclass freely with fighter, and fighter bonus feats of your choice at levels 1, 2, and 6, with all the same rules and restrictions as the other feats you can choose at those levels. The changes apply at every single monk level, meaning you lose 1 skill point EVERY level.

Edit: There's no way to cleave if you're fine-sized, unless I'm missing something... bummer.The Long Reach feat from Unapproachable East will do it with a spear or long spear, or with any aptitude weapon you care to name. That's 10' or 15' of reach no matter whether you're Medium or Fine.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 04:02 AM
"It could grip it by the husk". You can do that with spears, right? Right now my character is a sparrow (swallow), thus the whole no-hands thing. That feat looks like it should work from the wording. There's so many good things in the FR books, especially UE and SK. It's great. I'll probably also have to seriously consider aptitude.

I don't suppose there's any way to keep the knowledge skills for the devotion? Otherwise, that might be useful. I've already got fighter 2 purely for the feats and BAB, so this would help. Even just two levels would be nice.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 04:06 AM
I don't suppose there's any way to keep the knowledge skills for the devotion? Otherwise, that might be useful. I've already got fighter 2 purely for the feats and BAB, so this would help. Even just two levels would be nice.You give up all the abilities from the Knowledge domain to get Knowledge Devotion if you perform the swap. Either you can take Knowledge Devotion as a separate feat, or you can grab a feat like Education, from the Eberron Campaign Setting, which grants all Knowledge skills, a +1 bonus to two of your choice, and must be taken at 1st level.

"It could grip it by the husk".I think you mean "haft."

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 04:16 AM
Devotion only takes away the benefits of having the knowledge domain, it doesn't remove know:x as a class skill. My other classes still have know:x as class skills, so it's fine. It's just cheaper to have more classes with it so I can save on the skill bonus item cost.

So you're telling me that you haven't seen the Holy Grail? Truly, a travesty. It's a tradition in D&D groups to reference it as often as possible while playing. Doing so gives you a +2 circumstance bonus to classiness.

Edit: also, if you're not playing a serious game, take a shot every time someone makes a reference. For heavyweights, also take one whenever a Dead Alewives or The Gamers reference is made. In my group, also take one for every Spartacus or Ben-Hur reference.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 04:18 AM
Devotion only takes away the benefits of having the knowledge domain, it doesn't remove know:x as a class skill. My other classes still have know:x as class skills, so it's fine. It's just cheaper to have more classes with it so I can save on the skill bonus item cost. Note that one of the benefits of the Knowledge Domain is all Knowledge skills as class skills. You lose that along with the other benefits.

So you're telling me that you haven't seen the Holy Grail? Truly, a travesty. It's a tradition in D&D groups to reference it as often as possible while playing. Doing so gives you a +2 circumstance bonus to classiness.I've seen parts of it, but Monty Python really doesn't hit my humor buttons very well.

TuggyNE
2013-06-26, 04:20 AM
While that rule may exist somewhere, I've never seen it, so it might be a houserule or something. Don't discount the idea yet.

If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first. If you are using a double weapon, you can strike with either part of the weapon first.

Technically this only applies if you have iteratives (and not if, say, you're TWFing at BAB +1, or using haste with BAB +4, or something).

Rubik
2013-06-26, 04:22 AM
Technically this only applies if you have iteratives (and not if, say, you're TWFing at BAB +1, or using haste with BAB +4, or something).There it is, then. Thank you, Tuggy.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 04:38 AM
Cleric (not cloistered cleric) still gets 4 know skills. Although I could grab all of them, I don't need every single one. Dungeoneering is probably the only one that I really want that I don't have.

Edit: Thank you for the rules clarification, Tuggyne.

Edit: All of the suggestions so far have been quite good - thank you very much, Rubik. I definitely want to try out the cleaving idea, as it seems to fit in to what I've got quite well, and seems to be a good way around needing reliable iteratives.

Rubik
2013-06-26, 06:03 PM
Have you considered using a natural attack build either in its entirety or appended to your current idea? Natural attacks never go below -5 (unless applying some effect that lowers your attack bonus, such as size changes, Power Attack, or TWF), or -2 with a single feat. And if you know what you're doing, you can even get iteratives with them (see: Rapidstrike). A druid, psychic warrior, or totemist is your best bet for pulling off awesome natural attack routines, the latter two of which can gain even more through shapeshifting magic (while the former has that as an innate part of it). Imagine being a 7-headed hydra with 4 claw attacks, 4 tentacles, and rend on a pounce. This stuff can get really nasty if you want to go there, and the only thing you need to worry about is adding some magical enhancements onto them, which only costs a bit of gold, or perhaps some levels in kensai. Add on the Improved Unarmed Strike feat (or a few levels of monk, preferably the martial monk variant), and it gets even crazier.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-28, 02:20 AM
Natural attacks are definitely a good idea - I had looked at the Hunger Domain, but that was as far as I got. I've already got polymorph up to 7HD in my build, so adding in Rapidstrike, IUS, Multiattack, etc might not hurt. If I swing it the right way, I might even qualify for venomfire ^^

Having a sparrow character that turns into a Roc or Arrowhawk or something similar would be pretty neat. I'll take a look at those classes. Hopefully a 5-level dip will do what I need.

ericgrau
2013-06-28, 04:17 AM
The high cost shows part of the reason why you can't assume that you'll get GMW. Even if you did have a party caster it might be 18,000 gp in pearls of power or he might not be able to squeeze it in or if he does it is at the expense of some other spell.

Assuming you spend money on your weapon, you aren't full BAB with attack bonus boosters, and don't end up going an entirely different direction you may want to include a little enhancement bonus.

Samalpetey
2013-06-28, 04:26 AM
Have you looked into black blood cultist (http://dndtools.eu/classes/black-blood-cultist/)? Looks quite good, sporting 3 natural weapons and the ability to attack with them all at once with a grapple check

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-28, 05:59 AM
The high cost shows part of the reason why you can't assume that you'll get GMW. Even if you did have a party caster it might be 18,000 gp in pearls of power or he might not be able to squeeze it in or if he does it is at the expense of some other spell.

Assuming you spend money on your weapon, you aren't full BAB with attack bonus boosters, and don't end up going an entirely different direction you may want to include a little enhancement bonus.

Yup, that was the whole reason I started the thread. As happens, it has morphed into something entirely different at this point. I'm still very keen on come cheap ways to get a good enhancement bonus, if you have any. I definitely don't take spells for granted - I usually play a cleric, so I know how important each slot is.

Have you looked into black blood cultist (http://dndtools.eu/classes/black-blood-cultist/)? Looks quite good, sporting 3 natural weapons and the ability to attack with them all at once with a grapple check

I've never seen that class before, and it looks quite fun! Level 5 isn't the best drop point, but what's cooler than a cdg in the middle of combat with your teeth? I'll definitely add it to my index, and hopefully into this build. However, I don't think I have space for two feats and a level of barb as things stand. Maybe I'll stick it into a fighter build I never finished.

Samalpetey
2013-06-28, 06:30 AM
I've never seen that class before, and it looks quite fun! Level 5 isn't the best drop point, but what's cooler than a cdg in the middle of combat with your teeth? I'll definitely add it to my index, and hopefully into this build. However, I don't think I have space for two feats and a level of barb as things stand. Maybe I'll stick it into a fighter build I never finished.

Glad to be of help :biggrin:

Rubik
2013-06-28, 11:30 AM

Assuming you spend money on your weapon, you aren't full BAB with attack bonus boosters, and don't end up going an entirely different direction you may want to include a little enhancement bonus.A tooth of Leraje and three levels of spellthief should get you +5 on every weapon you've got. That, or if you can manage a Chain Spell-Like Ability feat.

ericgrau
2013-06-28, 02:31 PM
Yup, that was the whole reason I started the thread. As happens, it has morphed into something entirely different at this point. I'm still very keen on come cheap ways to get a good enhancement bonus, if you have any. I definitely don't take spells for granted - I usually play a cleric, so I know how important each slot is.

A tooth of Leraje and three levels of spellthief should get you +5 on every weapon you've got. That, or if you can manage a Chain Spell-Like Ability feat.
3 levels is a lot to pay and you usually only need 1. But that's good for a TWFer.

Well the tooth comes online at level 13. Assuming it's allowed, I'd get a +1 weapon or masterwork weapon in the mean time. For a low to mid level budget there are so many nice things you can buy that are a better value than a +2 equivalent weapon. Even if you aren't using things like a belt of battle, boots of speed and a +2 strength/con item are a better deal. That's 20,000 gp already. Even if you don't care for AC and defenses, a defensive +1 that's 4 to 6 times cheaper than an offensive +1 is still hard to ignore. Heck even upgrading to a +2 on armor is probably an easy choice. Likewise +1 or +2 on saves. Now we're at 32,000 gp. That leaves only level 10-12, and probably 11-12 once you include misc items. With magic item compendium you could easily find better alternatives to a weapon for those two levels.

So there's your half answer. Rather than upgrading your weapon, get something else that gives more benefit for the gp for the first 12 levels. For attack bonus I also found bracers of aerial combat to give a +1 for about 5k if you can fly. But other items may be better.

Rubik
2013-06-28, 02:46 PM
Actually, I was wrong about the 3 levels of spellthief; apparently it takes a 9th level spellthief to steal Greater Magic Weapon. Oops. Of course, that's assuming that stealing spell-likes is restricted by level the same way that spells are. Otherwise, it's 5th level.

Zombimode
2013-06-29, 02:52 AM
Tooth of Leraje in ToM. GMW (CL 20) 1/day for 21k.

While the tooth is nice, what people have neglected to mention is that you will permanently (at least as long the tooth is in your mouth) look "sickly and diseased, and your skin becomes sallow and pockmarked." Also, you become "quiet an unassuming", and if you make an attack against an elf creature, you take a -1 penalty to pretty much everything for the rest of the day.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-29, 03:01 AM
Yes, using the tooth is the same as binding a vestige, essentially. I'm not too worried about the consequences of that - elves aren't a high priority, and there's glamers for everything else. Glamered armor is incredibly cheap, but nobody seems to mention it very often. It's good to note, though.