PDA

View Full Version : Random Question assortment

GutterFace
2013-06-26, 09:54 AM
So i have odd questions that need some playground help!

i have no access to books at the moment so im going off of memory and your collective judgement(s).

1) If a Wizard buys a wand of Wand Modulation can he use the wand to cast Wand Modulation on the wand of Wand Modulation? (assume 50 charges)

1a) IF so, and the Wizard decides to cast Grease on the wand (formerly of Wand Modulation); can Grease be cast from the wand INTO a receptacle for temporary storage? (ie. like a jar, etc.). can said stored Grease castings be given to others players to then (within the apportioned time frame) be thrown/spread?

2) If a rider on a mount does not have Evasion, but his Mount does; does the rider benefit from the Evasion, since, in essence his mount and himself are designated as 1 unit, albeit 2 targets? or are AOE's resolved separately?

i know this is odd, but thank you for any help!

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-26, 12:33 PM
I'll answer question 2;

No. In order to benefit from an SQ, each person must have that SQ. Would you allow a Rogue to give piggyback rides to other PCs in order to give effects of evasion to the rider? Or would you invalidate the rogue's evasion for being encumbered? Personally, I wouldn't give the mount the benefit of the SQ because it is carrying the rider.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-26, 01:14 PM
1a) IF so, and the Wizard decides to cast Grease on the wand (formerly of Wand Modulation); can Grease be cast from the wand INTO a receptacle for temporary storage? (ie. like a jar, etc.). can said stored Grease castings be given to others players to then (within the apportioned time frame) be thrown/spread?

If the 'wand of grease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm)' were used this way it would result in the jar to be covered in a greasy coating for 1 round/level. They could throw the jar, but the coating would only affect the jar, it wouldn't 'rub off' on anything else, because there is nothing in the spell mechanic to accomplish this. Remember, this isn't like using the wand as a hose to spray grease, it's a magical effect restricted to the spell description.

Barsoom
2013-06-26, 01:17 PM
I'll answer question 2;

No. In order to benefit from an SQ, each person must have that SQ. Would you allow a Rogue to give piggyback rides to other PCs in order to give effects of evasion to the rider? Or would you invalidate the rogue's evasion for being encumbered? Personally, I wouldn't give the mount the benefit of the SQ because it is carrying the rider.That seems unnecessarily harsh. The Rogue's Evasion class feature has only two limitations: (a) can't be Helpless (b) must be wearing light armor or no armor.

The Animal Companion's Evasion SQ doesn't even have those limitations. It simply states "If an animal companion is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw".

Now, it would be reasonable to assume that the Animal Companion's Evasion is subject to the same limitations as the Rogue's Evasion, but to make it actually worse and deny Evasion for being encumbered - even though no version of Evasion denies it due to encumbrance - is going a bit too far.

GutterFace
2013-06-26, 01:20 PM
If the 'wand of grease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm)' were used this way it would result in the jar to be covered in a greasy coating for 1 round/level. They could throw the jar, but the coating would only affect the jar, it wouldn't 'rub off' on anything else, because there is nothing in the spell mechanic to accomplish this. Remember, this isn't like using the wand as a hose to spray grease, it's a magical effect restricted to the spell description.

This seems legit, thanks! I have a lot of free thinking PC's that have wild imaginations. i need to keep them in check.