PDA

View Full Version : An E6 tweak: "post epic" progression

Mighty_Chicken
2013-06-26, 11:18 AM
I call it the E(6+10)/2 tweak.

The general idea (that I had in a dream): after 6th level, after every 5 feats, until the 20th, you gain a "progression". You may take the same progression 4 times, or each of one, etc.

I know this imbalances E6 balance, in a way, and that's the point: to mimic fiction where one swordmaster's skill is bigger than any other in the world, but he still isn't any more bulletproof than other swordmasters; or where one wizard is feared by having bigger powers than any other in the world, but he isn't, necessarily, more resilient or wise then others.

(for clarity sake: it's free. You don' have to pay a feat to get them)

BAB progression

Every time you get this progression, you get a +1 bonus to your BAB stat. It doesn't give you extra attacks.

For example, an epic (6th level) cleric who chose this progression 4 times would have BAB +8; it would allow her to get feats with a +8 BAB prerequisite, but in a full round action she'd still make just one attack

A character who already had BAB +6/+1 before getting this progression advances normally. For example, a paladin who chose this progression four times would make two attacks at +10/+5 in a full round.

Skill progression

Every time you get this progression, you get 4+Int mod skill points. You maximum ranks for all your skills grows by one.

The second and fourth times you chose this progression, you also get a free skill trick.

Class ability progression

You have access to all class abilities of one of your classes as if you were one level higher, up tp 10th level. This progression also affects any level-dependent ability.

Spellcasting doesn't count as a class ability for the purposes of this progression, unless if you choose a class that has partial casting just as the paladin, the ranger or the hexblade.

Caster level progression

You cast all spells as if you where one level higher in one of your spellcasting classes as if you were one level higher, up tp 10th level.

(super polemic aditional option) If, by taking this progression, you achieve a caster level where your class would have access to 4th level spells, you have access to the Legendary Magic feat (for example, caster level 8 for wizards or caster level 9 for sorcerers). If you achieve a caster level where your class would have access to 5th level spells you have acces to the Epic Magic feat.

Legendary Magic

Prerequisites: Caster level progression (see above)

Benefit: Choose a 4th level spell. If your class has spells known, you forget 4 levels of spells (for example, 4 1st level spells, 2 2nd level spells, etc) and learns this spell. Similarly, it takes 4 levels of spell slots to be cast.

If your class prepares spells, you have to give up 4 levels of spell slots each for time you prepare this spell.

Any Concentration check made to cast this spell is made with a +5 bonus to the DC.

Epic Magic

Prerequisites: Caster level progression (see above), Legendary Magic

Benefit: Choose a 5th level spell. If your class has spells known, you forget 6 levels of spells (for example, 4 1st level spells, 2 2nd level spells, etc) and learns this spell. Similarly, it takes 10 levels of spell slots to be cast.

If your class prepares spells, you have to give up 10 levels of spell slots each for time you prepare this spell.

Any Concentration check made to cast this spell is made with a +10 bonus to the DC.

This feat can only be taken once.

Hit Dice progression

Every time you get this progression, you get +4 hit points to your total. You are also considered be one HD higher regarding HD-based effects.

Save progression

Every time you get this progression, you get a +1 bonus to Fortitude, Reflex or Will.

The second and fourth time you get this progression, you add a +1 bonus to two saves instead of one.

Gorfnod
2013-06-26, 11:26 AM
Although I see your intent, I really think you would achieve the same outcome just playing "E10". Yes your solution is more limited but by allowing access to Level 10 features, spells, etc you are opening the game to any abuse possible at that level anyways.

Mighty_Chicken
2013-06-26, 11:36 AM
Although I see your intent, I really think you would achieve the same outcome just playing "E10". Yes your solution is more limited but by allowing access to Level 10 features, spells, etc you are opening the game to any abuse possible at that level anyways.

E6 isn't all about stopping abuse. This is true in tables where power gaming is a thing. But I'd like to know what abuses are you talking about.

If you're aiming at a very spefic "sweet spot" between gritty fantasy and something more heroic, E10 may be already too much heroic. And E6 may be not heroic enough.

The main point here is that there's something inherently limited about D&D progression; you hero gets, all at once, tougher, smarter, and more powerful. But maybe you want to play something where you can't improve everything at once - without having giving away the class system, which, despite of all the criticism it gets, is very fun to play.

Mighty_Chicken
2013-06-27, 03:25 PM
Come on guys, PEACH it. I know you want it :)

Tvtyrant
2013-06-27, 05:55 PM
One of the biggest benefits of E6 is that it is simple to implement and evens out casters with mundanes (mostly.) This upsets both of those to my eyes, as fourth level spells are frequently broken (polymorph, black tentacles, resilient sphere, Globe of Invulnerability etc.)

Edit: I don't mean to offend with the above statement.

Mighty_Chicken
2013-06-28, 10:06 AM
Well, that's why the 4th level spells are optional :)

Do you think the extra HPs, the extra BAB, the extra caster levels break the game?

Ragingsystem
2013-06-28, 12:40 PM
This is already how I'm planning my advancement in my home path game, instead of leveling you gain advancements towards the next level after 4 of them you "level up" to the next level.

The Advancements they can take are: BaB/HP, Skill Points, Saves, and Features. Also in between 2 levels (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, ect) you may take a Feat as a 5th required Advancement, you can take it at either level but you can't become a 3rd level without taking it.

So I like your system, very much so.