PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick Omnibus Edition

BoBo2020
2013-06-26, 11:34 AM
Let me preface this by pointing out – very clearly – that these books do not exist (yet…).

I am a big fan of gigantic 20 lb. omnibus edition comics. These books are huge and majestic and a great way to present a graphic story (In an emergency, an Omnibus edition can also be used to crush your enemies or fight crime).

Several series helped pioneered this format (The Walking Dead Omnibus editions, the Complete Invincible Library) and Marvel comics discovered how popular and lucrative this market can be. In my opinion, DC set the standard with their amazing Absolute Sandman editions. Though expensive (often $100.00-$150.00) these Omnibus editions have developed a loyal following, many of whom (I strongly suspect) are also OOTS fans.

Given the overwhelming success of the Order of the Stick reprint Kickstarter project, a high quality, limited edition Order of the Stick Omnibus would almost certainly sell out on presales alone.

With that in mind, imagine for a moment how amazing these books would be…

The ORDER OF THE STICK OMNIBUS Volume 1
This massive, full color, deluxe volume (464 pages) includes all of the material originally published in The Order of the Stick: Start of Darkness, On the Origin of PCs, Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales (which will not otherwise be reprinted in its original format), and Dungeon Crawlin' Fools. Housed in a protective slipcase and featuring an original decorative cover reminiscent of TSR’s original Dungeons and Dragons – Dungeon Master Handbook, this impressive tome includes commentary and insight on key strips from OOTs characters and provides the complete background and introduction to the Order of the Stick Universe.

This definitive Order of the Stick collection is strictly limited to 500 Signed and numbered copies. Each edition includes an original Rich Burlew sketch of a character from the Order of the Stick Universe.

The ORDER OF THE STICK OMNIBUS Volume 2
This massive, full color, deluxe volume (532 pages) contains all of the material originally published in The Order of the Stick: No Cure for Paladin Blues and The Order of the Stick: War and XPs. Housed in a protective slipcase and featuring an original decorative cover reminiscent of TSR’s original Dungeons and Dragons – Player’s Handbook, this impressive tome chronicles the Order of the Stick’s epic conflict against evil. This edition is filled with bonus material and includes a large fold out poster of the award-winning strip #443 – The First Step is a Doozy.

The ORDER OF THE STICK OMNIBUS Volume 3
This massive, full color, deluxe volume (499 pages) contains all of the material originally published in The Order of the Stick: Don’t Split the Party and The Order of the Stick: What’s for Desert? (sorry – I don’t know the name of the most recent book). Housed in a protective slipcase and featuring an original decorative cover reminiscent of TSR’s original Dungeons and Dragons – Monster Manual, this impressive tome chronicles the Order of the Stick’s to find salvation and to find each other in the face of overwhelming odds.

Speaking only for myself, I would buy these in an instant. I would treasure them (precious, my precious…) and pass them on to my children (maybe... only if they stop trying to color in my black and white Ookoodook editions).

So Giant, what do you think…?

ChristianSt
2013-06-26, 01:58 PM
I would like an Epic Omnibus Hardcover Edition, but I would like a like a single book edition if possible. If not I would like an most equal chronological (either publication or OotS-Time) split in as few books as possible.

But I think both would be best when Rich knows when there will be an end. Because I think if you need to split them it would be best to consider all content to make the best choice possible (The series you mention are ongoing - there is no end in sight, OotS will end. The Absolute Sandman also was released after it ended).

And I do not see any need to limit it (I'm not the biggest thing of limited content, I think spreading around the fun that everyone who wants can enjoy it is much better than to try to establish some sort of investment thing)

On the full-color part, I don't think that will happen:
All comics are created in the state that you see them. If they are printed in black-and-white, then I drew them in black-and-white. It would be an enormous amount of work to colorize them or decolorize them, so I am unlikely to ever bother.

137beth
2013-06-27, 06:29 PM
If we're hypothetically combining books in new formats, why not hypothetically wait until all the OOTS books have come out, and then hypothetically release them as a single hypothetical volume?

ti'esar
2013-06-27, 07:54 PM
I think this is something best considered after OOTS finishes its run, or at least when that finish is in sight. But I'd very possibly buy it when that does occur.

Porthos
2013-06-27, 10:56 PM
Coffee Table books (ala Far Side/Calvin & Hobbes) collections on super quality paper in hardback would be superb.

I know I'd buy them. :smallsmile: