PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions?

Kazemi
2013-06-26, 12:20 PM
So, in a recent session a succubus NPC used a Suggestion-like ability on a few of the PCs. Now, my players aren't particularly good at role playing for things that are directly to their detriment (physically at least, they're fine being social pariahs :smallannoyed:), so I had been brainstorming about ways to get them to act oddly.

I eventually settled on promising them XP, since temptation is a succubus's . Things like
"You get ___XP if you do EVERYTHING in your power to drop the party Fighter this turn":smallredface:
"You get ___XP if you can prevent the Pirate from shooting his pistol this combat.":smallredface:
"You get ___XP if you spend your next action pummeling that table into the ground" to the party barbarian when the wizard was hiding under the table.:smallredface:

The succubus herself had been outside the cabin they were in casting on a different player each round while her minions engaged them in combat. They didn't catch on that there was something supernatural behind those notes I was passing out or the will saves for several rounds (though they thought it was weird and one wrote back asking me about it). I'm fully willing to grant the XP, but none of them were able/willing to earn it.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has tried tricking using Suggestion-type abilities in this way before? Or are there other neat tricks that you've tried?

Flickerdart
2013-06-26, 12:23 PM
Suggestion is supposed to be for reasonable things. "Kill your valued ally" is not one such.

Bubzors
2013-06-26, 01:18 PM
Instead of just enticing them with XP, try to make them think that the action is great and they will be helping the party. For example, if the succubus wanted the pirate to not fire his pistol, have the pirate or whoever make a roll (don't tell them its a will save), if they fail pass them a note that says, "You think you notice something jammed in the pistol that will cause it to backfire. You should probably stop the pirate from hurting himself accidentally." This way they are not sure they are being suggested. They might think they made a good spot check and are saving the Pirate from some accident. :smallbiggrin:

Medic!
2013-06-26, 01:29 PM
Instead of just enticing them with XP, try to make them think that the action is great and they will be helping the party. For example, if the succubus wanted the pirate to not fire his pistol, have the pirate or whoever make a roll (don't tell them its a will save), if they fail pass them a note that says, "You think you notice something jammed in the pistol that will cause it to backfire. You should probably stop the pirate from hurting himself accidentally." This way they are not sure they are being suggested. They might think they made a good spot check and are saving the Pirate from some accident. :smallbiggrin:

This is the way to go IMO.

Have them roll random but supposedly appropriate checks without telling them it's really their will save.

"John roll a sense motive for me." He rolls, you add his die to his will modifier and he fails the save.
Pass him a note "The fighter is being dominated by something."

Kazemi
2013-06-26, 03:28 PM
Suggestion is supposed to be for reasonable things. "Kill your valued ally" is not one such.

You're assuming any of them count as a "valued ally" :smallwink:
Really, though, the barbarian refused to harm the

Actually, this is a really good idea (and reusable!). However, it may require Mass Suggestion, since otherwise they'd just call it out to the other person and they'd see no such problems (though it would take an action from them while they checked). I'm going to have to come up with things that require fast and immediate action, so they don't have time to verbalize.