PDA

View Full Version : the monster was a human after all

Darth Stabber
2013-06-26, 01:32 PM
So lately I have been homebrewing monsters right and left, and I have found a great system for doing so, so I figured I would share it: make a fairly well combat optimized character about 1 level higher than the pcs, then add a random ability, change it's type/subtype and add about 25% hp.

For example

Human totmist2/psiwar7/warblade4 with a guisarme and bite (from totemist). Focused on tripping.

Reflavored as a demon with tripping tentacles, and the psionic powers that would be used are made permanent.

Any one else tried this method?

Medic!
2013-06-26, 01:40 PM
Actually it's a pretty common DM tactic. When every player at the table can recite the entire troll MM entry from memory, there's nothing to keep things fresh and surprising as throwing a "troll" at them that uses the MM entry of a completely different but equal CR creature.

"I cast scorching ray" *yawn*

"Its wounds seal at an alarming rate!"

"Do what now?"

Muahahahaha the troll is actually a Salamander (in stats and abilities) or some such thing.

A+ tactic sir!

Flickerdart
2013-06-26, 01:40 PM
I just assemble monsters out of Astral Construct menu options. It generally works quite well.

mabriss lethe
2013-06-26, 02:18 PM
I expected this to be a Scooby doo thread.

Uncle Pine
2013-06-26, 02:47 PM
I thought about using this kind of tactics a few time, but never actually done so. It'd probably work, though.

Darth Stabber
2013-06-26, 03:20 PM
I expected this to be a Scooby doo thread.

I'm sorry to have mislead you, but scooby doo was my thought when I titled the thread, it seemed like a fitting title.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-06-26, 03:25 PM
Pathfinder makes it even easier.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monsterCreation.html

You can just reference the appropriate CR on the table, graft in whatever class abilities or monster abilities you want to give it, and then throw it at the PCs.

Yeah, giving monsters feats and class features is a great way to make them more interesting. Incarnum especially is a great source for these because it has very simple, modular sets of abilities intended for direct combat use. Sneak attack is, in my opinion, horribly underutilized by monsters, and it gives makes you party's rogue grateful he has improved uncanny dodge.

Humble Master
2013-06-26, 03:27 PM
That tactic would probably work 90% of the time but sometimes you need to make an ability that PC classes just don't have. Still it is nice and easy and also helps balance monsters with spellcasting/psionics/maneuvers/incarnum/whatever better.

Sidenote: I personally love homebrewing monsters so a lot of my dungeons will be filled with stuff not out of any Monster Manual. My personal favorite was a Paper Swarm. That right, it was a bunch of magically animated pages of paper flying around in a swarm.

Forrestfire
2013-06-26, 03:32 PM
Sidenote: I personally love homebrewing monsters so a lot of my dungeons will be filled with stuff not out of any Monster Manual. My personal favorite was a Paper Swarm. That right, it was a bunch of magically animated pages of paper flying around in a swarm.

That sounds hilariously awesome. Did you pair it with a lemon elemental? :smalltongue:

Humble Master
2013-06-26, 03:40 PM
That sounds hilariously awesome. Did you pair it with a lemon elemental? :smalltongue: No but you gave me an excellent idea RISE MY MONSTROUS CITRUS RISE AND WREAK YOUR CAUSTIC HAVOC ON THE WORLD!

Best part about the Paper Swarm encounter was that the player asked me if the Paper Swarm could get the surprise round because their characters were busy going WTF? :smallbiggrin:

Also here is the statblock for those interested.

Paper Swarm (1) Diminutive Construct (Swarm); HD 4d10 (20); Init +4; Speed 50ft Fly (Perfect); AC 18 (+4 Size, +4 Dex) touch 18, FF 14; Base atk/grpl +3/_; Atk swarm (1d6 + Papercut); Full atk nil; SA: Papercut; SQ: Half-Damage from Piercing and Crushing, Swarm Traits; Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +2; Abilities: Str 3 ,Dex 18, Con _, Int _, Wis 12, Cha 13; Skills/Feats _/_. Papercut(Ex): Every time a Paper Swarm hits with its swarm attack the target gets covered with distracting paper cuts. These cuts impose a -1 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks and ability checks for 1 minute. This penalty stacks with itself up to a maximum up -4. A DC 20 Heal check will remove the penalty.