PDA

View Full Version : Xykon and Warlocks

Slayer Lord
2013-06-26, 04:54 PM
Now we all know about the beef Xykon (and presumably most sorcerers) seem to have with wizards, who look down on sorcerers for basically getting their powers for free. And as of strip 677, we now know that wizards don't have a very high opinion of warlocks either.

So I've been wondering, how do you think sorcerer's in general regard warlocks in the Stick-verse, and in particular, how might Xykon? He understands that power doesn't have to come out of a book, and he might respect someone who's willing to go to any lengths to get power. But according to the Power is Power speech, real power is something that can't be easily stripped away, and a warlock's spellcasting ability is (usually) based off of making deals with outside forces.

So, what do you think?

Talvereaux
2013-06-26, 05:30 PM
Hmm, it might be difficult to say how "sorcerers" regard warlocks in the OOTSverse because their magic comes to them at birth, so there isn't much of a common background of archetypical personality. I'd assume they aren't popular with the general public, though, simply for cavorting with fiends (or being associated with those that do).

As for Xykon, I want to say he's largely ambivalent. He's made his stance clear on power being power, sources be damned, and his core beef with wizards is more of a kneejerk response to them presuming their source is so much better than any other. I don't think he'd have much grief over the "borrowed power" thing, so long as they can personally back it up and play their cards smartly--whereas Darth V failed to do so.

Kish
2013-06-26, 05:30 PM
I think he probably looks down on warlocks for getting their power from an external source. It doesn't matter if it's a demon or Magic for Dummies--if it's not in your bones, you're inferior to what Xykon is, because he's Xykon.

Ellye
2013-06-26, 06:16 PM
I think he probably looks down on warlocks for getting their power from an external source. It doesn't matter if it's a demon or Magic for Dummies--if it's not in your bones, you're inferior to what Xykon is, because he's Xykon.Eh, I don't get the impression that Xykon really cares about the source of one's power. In fact, I believe his speak is exactly about the fact that he rejects this notion. Power equal powers, it doesn't matter if you got it from studying books or was born with it.
He'd probably respect a Wizard powerful enough to challenge him, despite his magic coming from reading Magic For dummies. He seemed to respect Darth V before knowing that she was using Soul Splices.

And what he said about Soul Splices doesn't really apply to pretty much anything else. Soul Splices are truly a borrowed power, something that you will certainly (quite possibly quickly) lose, and as far as we know just a one-time-only deal.

So no, I don't think Xykon would have any sort of opinion towards Warlock, whether positive or negative. He would respect a powerful Warlock, and wouldn't care about a weak one. Xykon respects power.

Rakoa
2013-06-26, 06:27 PM
Soul Splices are truly a borrowed power, something that you will certainly (quite possibly quickly) lose, and as far as we know just a one-time-only deal.

This about sums it up, I think. Xykon would respect a very powerful Warlock, but not if that Warlock is "powerful" because of a Soul Splice or some other temporary thing, like a buttload of magical potions, for example.

Morty
2013-06-26, 06:34 PM
Well, he'd respect them to the degree Xykon can respect anyone other than himself, which isn't much.

Prinygod
2013-06-26, 07:51 PM
I thought warlocks ( in 3.5 haven't played 4 or 5) were like sorcerers, except with demon ancestry instead of dragons. But source of the powers aside, warlocks are not on the level of pure casters, so its doeubtfull he would think much of them.

137beth
2013-06-26, 07:56 PM
Well, he'd respect them to the degree Xykon can respect anyone other than himself, which isn't much.

Pretty much. Warlocks get to keep their power permanently. They can't lose it by blowing two Will Saves. Heck, he'd probably think warlocks have more of their own power than wizards, since a wizard can lose a lot of their power by losing their spellbook, while a warlock can't.