PDA

View Full Version : Build 'em Strong

PolloMark
2013-06-26, 05:32 PM
So I'm a... different type of DnD player. I love the character aspect in a campaign. I prefer the role-playing over combat every time. It's weird, I know.

Typically, I go Beguiler with a little bit of Rogue for flavor and try to talk my way out of tough situations. However, in my current campaign, there are only 3 of us so the party really needs me to output tons of damage (one of them is a complete newbie). What is a character build that you have gone with that outputs tons of damage? (that is full of cheese and breaks the game)

I know for many, building a broken character takes away the fun, but for me it gets me to the fun (more role-playing). So the stronger, the better!

...and no Pun-pun...

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 05:43 PM
What's your current build, and what sort of resources (gold, feats, levels) do you have available?

PolloMark
2013-06-26, 05:52 PM
The Campaign is actually about to start so I'm starting from scratch.

As far as resources go, anything unchanted is allowed within reason (so no dueling Bastard swords to begin... have to earn that). Enchantments will be allowed later in the game. As far as feats and the sort, the only rule is no homebrew.

I start at level 1, and we will be going all the way to 20 (fast level progressions).

Multi-classing is allowed.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 05:58 PM
Well, if you typically go with a beguiler/rogue build, then it seems like you're already part of the way there, since the two synergize well both mechanically and fluff-wise. If you're after damage, then all you really need to do is make sure that you're keeping your sneak attack dice up to a reasonable level, and that you're using them whenever possible.

I'll post a list of a few feats and things that will make it easy with very little investment in just a moment here.

eggynack
2013-06-26, 06:04 PM
What kinda high damage are you looking for? You've got the standard barbarian ubercharger build, which can kill most things pretty easily, the somewhat more complicated mailman build, which just kills just about everything really easily, and the theoretical optimization hulking hurler build, which has damage that is best defined in crazy exponential forms. So, y'know, it has a lot to do with what you actually want to do as a character, because there's lots of ways to deal piles of damage.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-26, 06:16 PM
Here we are. This is just a general list; some of these are better than others, but some will be both thematic and still fairly useful. As long as you take craven, the rest of what you take doesn't matter as much. So find cool things!

feats: Craven CoR 17
Flick of the Wrist CW 99
Spectral Skirmisher PHB2 83
Telling Blow PHB2 83
Expert Tactician SaF 6
Animal Devotion CC 54
Travel Devotion CC 62
Knowledge Devotion CC 60
Swift and Silent PGtF 45
Combat Reflexes PHB
Double Hit MiH 25
Snap Kick ToB 32
Sand Dancer Ss 52
Deft Strike CAd 106

classes (dip, or take a few levels of):
swashbuckler (with Daring Outlaw)
ACF sneak attack fighter
factotum
swordsage
cleric
ACF sorcerer (for dragonfire strike DM 18)

items:
gauntlet of infinite blades MIC
heartseeking amulet MIC
mantle of the predator MIC
rogue's vest MIC 130
shadowy diadem (DM?)
muffling armor Und 66

PrCs
there's many, but I know offhand that Dread Commando (HoB) has full BAB and good SA progression.

If you decide to go with a particular combat style (power attack, TWF, pounce, trip, dungeoncrasher, etc), then there's other things to pick as well.

nedz
2013-06-26, 06:48 PM
Bard 2 / Barbarian 4 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Swiftblade 9 might get you the best of both worlds.
You use the Bard stuff to buff everyone including yourself, the Barbarian and AC to melee.

eggynack
2013-06-26, 06:51 PM
Bard 2 / Barbarian 4 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Swiftblade 9 might get you the best of both worlds.
You use the Bard stuff to buff everyone including yourself, the Barbarian and AC to melee.
What're you getting from the last two levels of barbarian? You'd be generally better off taking two levels of fighter, and maybe making one of your feats extra rage.

Spuddles
2013-06-26, 07:21 PM
What're you getting from the last two levels of barbarian? You'd be generally better off taking two levels of fighter, and maybe making one of your feats extra rage.

Another bonus feat & an extra rage per day, and 4 skill points per level and d12 HD.

eggynack
2013-06-26, 07:26 PM
Another bonus feat & an extra rage per day, and 4 skill points per level and d12 HD.
You don't get a bonus feat from four levels of barbarian. You're basically getting two HP, four skill points, one rage use, and trap sense, and fighter gets you two feats, and one of those feats can effectively be used for extra rage, if you were going to take both of the fighter bonus feats anyway. I think that the feats are better in general.

PolloMark
2013-06-26, 10:23 PM
as far as type of damage output goes, anything is fine including magic (I know that opens up everything). I'm trying to get a variety of options to play with on here.

Roguenewb
2013-06-26, 10:51 PM

This build is a start. If you lose the last level of abjurant champion, which isn't the most exciting level in the class, you can pick up one level of Sublime Chord, which will allow you to end up with 7 levels of sublime casting which nets you 8th level spells.

Bard 4, which has the same BAB as Bard 2/Barbarian 2, is the starting stub.

Next, add 1 barbarian. Then crusader 1 (IL 3.5, so you can grab level 2 manuevers). Barbarian 2, 3, and 4 are unexciting, in general. You have the same BAB as you would from Bard 2/Barb 4, and gives you about a million more moving pieces, each of which gives power. Now, you've got Level 4 bard casting, and BAB 5 for Abjurant champion. Maybe take song of the white raven? Probably not worth it.

Now, Abjurant champion 3. Great class, good things all around. D10 HD, full bab and casting, really sweet. You've got 7 levels of Bard casting, and are Sublime Chord ready. The abilites are giving you +3 AC, and lots of extended/swift defensive spells. The last 2 levels is pretty good, quickening Dispel Magic in particular, but there is a sweeter way to build this.

Okay, level 10 take Swiftblade 1. Now you're starting to build the final chasis of the character.

Level 11 is sublime chord, rebuilds casting back to 5th level spells. Now, we are missing out the martial arcanist ability and the double caster level boost from chord which would (in nebulous theory) leave you with a CL of like 36.

After sublime chord, take the last 9 levels of swiftblade. In the original build, the capstone for swiftblade was useless, but in this build, you'll have up 8ths, so you can 3 turn time stops as free actions. Here's the finished build:

Bard 4/Barbarian 1/Crusader 1/Abjurant Champion 3/Swiftblade 1/Sublime Chord 1/Swiftblade 9. 8ths arcane, 2nd initiators, CL 16. A whole pile of awesome special abilities.

Combat plan: Time Stop, in the time stop use the swift abjurations to double buff yourself up. After you come out of time stop, Rage, then start hasting and ubercharging. Smash face. You have 4 levels of bard to talk at early levels. Later on, your talking will fall behind a bit. But you have all the cute bard spells, and so on.

TL;DR AWESOME BARD HASTE GISH CHARGER

Wings of Peace
2013-06-26, 11:32 PM
If you want something simple but effective a Ranger/Scout setup with the Swifthunter feat and Sword of the Arcane Order would be alright.