PDA

View Full Version : Tips on making a one-shot game

ArqArturo
2013-06-26, 06:24 PM
So, next September a few friends that we haven't seen in a while, will be playing a one-shot adventure. Here's the thing:

I've no idea how to run one.

The basic premise is a simple: It's a high-level game, in which we besiege one of the Seven Layers of Hell. It's mostly going to be combat-focused, using the Pathfinder rules, but some players want to make some conversions for other characters, ie: A player wants to bring a Mecha pilot from D20 Modern (Mecha Crusdade), another wants to bring a Jedi from the Saga Edition, and another wants to revamp a dwarf fighter from 2ed D&D.

The conversions, I can handle, not so much on the pace, so I'm going to need some help with that. Any tips?.

Endarire
2013-06-26, 06:32 PM
By one-shot do you mean one session? If so, don't be afraid to pull out all the stops! After all, y'all have one day/night/small chunk of time to make things interesting.

If you mean a short span of time encompassing one adventure, you can still afford to 'cut to the chase.' Get to the most interesting parts- minibosses and bosses with maybe a practice fight at the start- so people can feel the desired emotions up front. (Usually, they want to feel like a badass in a short time span.)

Otherwise, don't worry about people wrecking your plot. They're high level (by your words) and desire to use their abilities. So, let them!

Finally, check this out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15507791&postcount=22).

Tvtyrant
2013-06-26, 06:35 PM
One shots tend to be more railroady than campaigns. I ran one where the party started in the dungeon they were running, and I simply had everyone write their own back story for why they were running this dungeon. They knew beforehand that there was a Dragon Slaying knife in the dungeon that would kill any dragon it hit, and they got to explain their reasons for going after it themselves.

With the layers of hell, I would suggest just asking them to work out a common back story for why they are high level, working together and besieging the # later of hell.

ArqArturo
2013-06-26, 06:38 PM
Yes, it's a one-session thing. The idea (and concept) of the whole is to have an Epic session. With the capital E. And the Layer they'd be besieging is Nessus *evil grin*.

NOhara24
2013-06-26, 06:40 PM
I've run a one-shot before, and my advice largely echoes what others have said. Get to business quickly and don't spend much time dawdling. If you say it's going to be mostly combat focused, do as you say you will. The only times they shouldn't be in combat is when it's vital to explain why they're not in combat.

Don't be afraid to kill characters either. No one likes sitting around for hours on end while everyone else plays, but I'd say about halfway through your session is when it's okay for player characters to start dropping.

dascarletm
2013-06-26, 06:45 PM
I'd make the whole thing two battles.

1. The main offensive: They are wading through mooks getting close to sergents, and eventually breaking their lines. Have the Sgts. debuff/hinder them but not kill them.

2. Arch Devil fight: Give him/her a couple lieutenants to help with action economy. In the back swarms of his minions are rushing in to help. give the party some mid-level troops to command.

Make it fast pace. Tell players to plan out actions in advance/help you by running their allies. Their turns should be a minute or less on average.

EDIT:

Don't be afraid to kill characters either. No one likes sitting around for hours on end while everyone else plays, but I'd say about halfway through your session is when it's okay for player characters to start dropping.

I agree with this. perhaps give them some low level allied troops to run if they are dead.

ArqArturo
2013-06-27, 10:34 AM
Ok, I think the story I have it covered, so far the player's consist on:

1.- A human paladin/divine agent (conversion)
2.- Dwarf monk
3.- Dwarf barbarian
4.- Human fighter (sword & board build)
5.- Human sorcerer/eldritch knight
6.- Elf Fighter/Wizard/Arcane Archer
7.- Human Wizard (this guy could monkey-wrench most battles, as he specializes in Illusions and Abjurations :p)
8.- Half-Elf Cleric
9.- Dhampir Inquisitor (ala Vampire Hunter D)

Now, the thing is, the setting starts in Eredane* (the subplot is Nessus' ruler plans to use this world as a staging point for a millenia-long plot he has), so the idea is to cause something to call his attention. Here's my question: Are there any rules on massive combat? The players are not going to be the only ones jumping into this plane, and I want to capture the confusion of mass battles but not getting them into most of them (I've found that mass battles can be boring, no matter the setting/rules).

dascarletm
2013-06-27, 10:42 AM
Here's my question: Are there any rules on massive combat?

There are rules I've either read in some source I don't remember or converted from other tabletop systems. Heroes of Battle has a lot of rules on the subject as well.

What I do is turn troops into pseudo-swarms.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-27, 10:57 AM
Are there any rules on massive combat? The players are not going to be the only ones jumping into this plane, and I want to capture the confusion of mass battles but not getting them into most of them (I've found that mass battles can be boring, no matter the setting/rules).

You are right that mass battles can be boring - my party is in the middle of one right now that is looking like it will take about 6 gaming sessions in real time to cover what would effectively be less than a full minute in game time.

There are rules in Heroes of Battle and Miniatures Handbook that supposedly help cover this thing. Honestly, I do not think they go far enough.

My advice - any combat that takes place away from the PCs needs to be treated as 'off camera'. You can either resolve it by DM fiat or some expedited method. My favorite expedited method is this:

Determine the average damage per round for each NPC given the option of Charge Attack or Full Attack. For Full Attack use the full damage for the first iterative attack(s), 3/4 damage for the second iterative attack(s), 1/2 damage for the third iterative attack(s), and 1/4 damage for the fourth iterative attack(s).
Determine the total attack bonus for each NPC on a Charge Attack or Full Attack.
Determine the AC for each NPC. Note that this will incur a -2 penalty the round after a Charge.
Determine the Hit Points of each NPC.
Record these all on a special sheet or set of notecards. When handling off camera combat each NPC has the option of a Full Attack against any adjacent foe or a Charge Attack against a foe within range. Otherwise they just move and forgo an attack that round. If they make an attack, just make a single attack roll and use the average damage for a hit.

For instance: Minotaur (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/minotaur.htm): +11 Charge (16 damage), +9 Full Attack (34 damage), AC 14, 39 hp

Resolve any combat involving a PC normally.

Person_Man
2013-06-27, 11:41 AM
Railroad.

Tell everyone that you are going to railroad, and get their agreement to follow the railroad before the game starts, so that no one feels cheated.

Figure out what each player character can do, and make sure you have at least one encounter for each character that allows them to shine.

Big dungeon/castle/etc, with a giant dragon/boss at the end. The dragon should be very very difficult, but not impossible, especially if the PCs took the time to clear out the rest of the dungeon and find the ITEMS OF AWESOME POWER hidden within it.

Top liberally with a few cool puzzles, traps, and riddles.

The end.

ArqArturo
2013-07-06, 11:59 AM
Arise thread, arise and haunt this forum once more!

Ok, enough thread necromancy spells. Despite that this is a combat-heavy one shot game, since the world I'm setting the game in is Aryth (minus some important details *cough* VeilofIzradornotsopimpermeable* *cough* ), how could I add a bleak/dark tone to the game, not just a 'Oh, and there's a Balor right infront of you' ?.