PDA

View Full Version : Xylon + Tarquin?

semi
2013-06-26, 08:56 PM
Has the idea been proposed that maybe Tarquin is off talking w/ Xylon? I can't see quite how this idea would work from a plot stand point but I didn't know if people were just assuming they knew where Tarquin was off to or it was established where he went.

Tock Zipporah
2013-06-26, 09:11 PM
While it's theoretically possible, a Xykon/Tarquin alliance seems to be pretty unlikely.

First of all, they have conflicting goals. Xykon isn't likely to want to share rulership of the world with Tarquin (it's debatable whether he'd even share with Redcloak, except the ritual won't work without him).

Tarquin, on the other hand, wouldn't work with someone as blunt and unpredictable as Xykon. Same reason he wouldn't work with Nale: Tarquin would rather be the power behind the throne, manipulating events with subtlety. Whereas Xykon blatantly conquered a city of paladins half for the fun of it. And I can't see Xykon being a puppet on Tarquin's strings. Xykon is smarter than he looks, and wouldn't be as easy to manipulate as the red dragon Empress of Blood. Redcloak is able to pull Xykon's strings to a degree, but it takes a level of humility Tarquin couldn't match (taking a backseat as "just the general" is a lot different than letting your boss keep you disabled with one eye missing to teach you a lesson).

And aside from all that, Xykon is likely enough to Meteor Swarm first and ask questions later. He doesn't much care who he kills. Though, you never know... after all, the motto is "Team Evil: We're ALWAYS hiring!"

137beth
2013-06-26, 09:17 PM
By the time Tarquin could say anything to convince Xykon that an alliance might sorta be useful, Xykon would have killed Tarquin.

Kiraxa
2013-06-26, 09:54 PM
By the time Tarquin could say anything to convince Xykon that an alliance might sorta be useful, Xykon would have killed Tarquin.

Silly Ben, everyone knows talking is a free action :smalltongue:

Mutant Sheep
2013-06-26, 10:26 PM
What's with the sudden resurge in misspellings of Xykon? Xykon, Zykon, whyyyyyyy...:smallfrown:

I was gonna contribute, but they said the good points.

Anarion
2013-06-26, 10:27 PM

Most of the time, yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html)

Anyway, if Tarquin were off talking with Xykon, what would he be gaining? I'm sure Xykon would be happy enough getting access to Tarquin's resources, but Tarquin is on record as saying that hammy, scenery chewing villains are bad for his continued rule. And Tarquin does not strike me as the sort of person to accept "not being killed painfully" as a fair trade for his services.

Obscure Blade
2013-06-27, 01:30 AM
Assuming Xykon doesn't immediately just go "Meteor Swarm!" on Tarquin for fun (a distinct possibility), I think the odds are excellent that Tarquin will try to talk to him. But I think it won't be long at all before Tarquin figures out Xykon is both a poor ally and terrible boss, for the reasons already mentioned. Especially since Xykon never makes the slightest effort to hide his true personality from people.

JCAll
2013-06-27, 02:08 AM
First of all, they have conflicting goals. Xykon isn't likely to want to share rulership of the world with Tarquin (it's debatable whether he'd even share with Redcloak, except the ritual won't work without him).

Hey, he's gotta have someone to handle the paperwork once he's in charge. Conquering the world is all fun and games, but the actual ruling is boring. And Xykon doesn't handle boring well.

Silverionmox
2013-06-27, 03:31 AM
Xykon and Tarquin both are charismatic villains that are used to rule the roost. There can be only one...

Copperdragon
2013-06-27, 03:58 AM
Has the idea been proposed that maybe Tarquin is off talking w/ Xylon? I can't see quite how this idea would work from a plot stand point but I didn't know if people were just assuming they knew where Tarquin was off to or it was established where he went.

It is very possible.

Both are known Talkers. Xykon for entertainment and because he can be very charming when he's not enraged. Maybe he does not attack right away, but as soon as Tarquin stands a Meteor Swarm and lives, he will have Xykon interested.

Tarquin is a sure talker because he wants information and he also seems to like to talk. And if Xykon shows up, it is relatively obvious he's the Scenery Chewing Villain Elan was talking about (or how many other Liches do you expect to teleport in right at the correct location?)
For a moment and on the surface, those two would get quite fine exchanging words (and probably doing pop culture references).

Xykon would probably start with something: "Now, what sort of person are you. You do not seem like the type who's having a picknick out here in the desert?"
Both would know the other is here for the gate, but both would not try to give themselves away while learning some about the other.
The talk would of course end in violence. While Tarquin might be too careful to attack those people there (Redcloak, MitD are coming along), Xykon simply won't accept to leave another player in the race if he does not have to (and he does not have to). He's also very rash to get into a fight, knowing he very probably just roll over whoever is standing there and certain he and Redcloak are able to take out basically anyone if they get serious.

When I wrote how I can imagine such a converstion would start, I also write how I imagine it would end:
Xykon: "Now, while I enjoyed this little chitchat, we both know why you are here and, frankly, I really cannot tolerate competetion. Die well, Grand Moff. <Energy Drain>"
What happens then depends on how Tarquin stands that spell, if he flees etc. It probably involves more talking (at least from Xykon) during a battle.

Bogardan_Mage
2013-06-27, 05:43 AM
But a Diplomacy check isn't.

What's with the sudden resurge in misspellings of Xykon? Xykon, Zykon, whyyyyyyy...:smallfrown:
Who dares disturb Xyklon the Consequential?

For what it's worth, I believe Tarquin when he says he has a vested interest in preventing Xykon's plans from coming to fruition (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0762.html). Naturally, he has no qualms about using the Gates for his own purposes, but an alliance with Xykon would certainly have Tarquin at the lower end of the food chain; not the way he likes to operate at all. He's much better off feigning servitude to Nale who'll either fall for it or go along with it assuming (wrongly) he can gain the upper hand.

Zerter
2013-06-27, 06:36 AM
The problem is the raw power difference. Tarquin has shown he is skillfull, but he has not demonstrated the level of power needed to threaten Xykon. If I was Tarquin I would avoid Xykon as if he was the plague. If Xykon recognizes what he is dealing with, he is smart enough to know Tarquin is a lot smarter. The way that ends is for Xykon to try and end Tarquin before he can pull whatever he is going to pull. Even if Tarquin manages to flee, Xykon might decide to level his empire just for laughs. The way for Tarquin to go is to handle this with go-betweens, taking no personal risks and making sure nothing leads back to him.

Copperdragon
2013-06-27, 08:18 AM
The problem is the raw power difference. Tarquin has shown he is skillfull, but he has not demonstrated the level of power needed to threaten Xykon.

Which does not mean he does not have it. We have never seen Tarquin when he was very seriously threatened, and all fights he got into so far seemed to him a like game.
He dominated Elan and Roy on their one-on-ones, which indicates to me "His level is notably higher, at least by four or more levels" and that "at least by four levels" moves him into the range where "epic" becomes very probable.
Yes, he still might be lower level than Xykon (his comradice with Malack seems to indicate that) but I would not bet on him being outgunned, especially as Tarquin seems to be a fan of "Prepared like Batman".

Rakoa
2013-06-27, 08:24 AM
Rushed Diplomacy check and bam. Xykon is now Tarquin's best friend.

...if only the writer of this comic wasn't the man who invented Burlew's Diplomacy, that is.

Deepbluediver
2013-06-27, 08:26 AM
Tarquin, on the other hand, wouldn't work with someone as blunt and unpredictable as Xykon. Same reason he wouldn't work with Nale: Tarquin would rather be the power behind the throne, manipulating events with subtlety.

That actually makes me think that Tarquin is much more like Redcloak, assuming what Redcloak said to Tsukiko was mostly true, and not just a bluff to save face.

I get the impression that Tarquin might offer an alliance to Redcloak (based on his skillset) if he new what had been going on, but of course it's extremely doubtful Redcloack would ever trust a human enough to engage in that kind of agreement.

Roland Itiative
2013-06-27, 10:21 AM
I can't imagine Tarquin pursuing an alliance with Xykon. He doesn't work with loose cannons, after all, and I don't think the OotSverse has any looser cannon than Xykon :smalltongue:

He might try to talk him down, if they come to blows, but I doubt he'll want to deal with him in the long term, or that he sees a dialogue with Xykon as a plan A.

Tock Zipporah
2013-06-27, 10:38 AM
Xykon would probably start with something: "Now, what sort of person are you. You do not seem like the type who's having a picknick out here in the desert?"
Both would know the other is here for the gate, but both would not try to give themselves away while learning some about the other.

I agree with most of the rest of what you said, but this part is so not how Xykon rolls. He wouldn't bother trying to learn about Tarquin while trying not to give himself away. He'd be like "Who the hell is this chump and what's he doing near my gate?"

Then I imagine Xykon saying something like, "You're either a hero looking to rumble with the big bad, yours truly, or else you're competition. Either way, the answer is Meteor Swarm."

Copperdragon
2013-06-27, 11:34 AM
I agree with most of the rest of what you said, but this part is so not how Xykon rolls. He wouldn't bother trying to learn about Tarquin while trying not to give himself away. He'd be like "Who the hell is this chump and what's he doing near my gate?"

No, he'd not give the gate-thing away this way, never. Not unless Tarquin stands right next to the gate when he finds him.
So I like my version so much better, and what you wrote is also more what he'd say first to Redcloak, not with what he'd open the talk with Tarquin.

JCAll
2013-06-27, 07:20 PM
That actually makes me think that Tarquin is much more like Redcloak, assuming what Redcloak said to Tsukiko was mostly true, and not just a bluff to save face.

I get the impression that Tarquin might offer an alliance to Redcloak (based on his skillset) if he new what had been going on, but of course it's extremely doubtful Redcloack would ever trust a human enough to engage in that kind of agreement.

Xykon is attacking the Linear Guild when suddenly Tarquin walks in and hands him a note. "Check it out, I totally just conducted a job interview in the middle of a battle. - RedCloak"

Vinsfeld
2013-06-28, 12:33 AM
Even if Tarquin manages to flee, Xykon might decide to level his empire just for laughs. The way for Tarquin to go is to handle this with go-betweens, taking no personal risks and making sure nothing leads back to him.

I don't think Xylon would go after Tarquin's empire. Not after V broke into Azure City Gobbotopia and made him lose his phylactery. He means business now and I think he wouldn't waste any time trying to conquer/destroy an empire when he can move on to the last gate and try to rule the world (some of his best evilness took place here)