PDA

View Full Version : Richard Matheson RIP.

turkishproverb
2013-06-26, 09:23 PM
So...yea. He died on the 23rd. He'll be missed. He was a huge influence on both horror and scifi. I should probably re-read shrinking man. :smallfrown:

Axolotl
2013-06-27, 04:20 AM
I'm slightly surprised to find out he was still alive, he was certainly a very talented author. I Am Legend still stands as easily the best vampire book ever written, and one of the best post-apocalypse stories.

Carry2
2013-06-27, 09:00 AM
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Dreams_May_Come) when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause.

Killer Angel
2013-06-27, 03:33 PM
How many are dying?!? Will it ever end, this year? :smallsigh:

Bhu
2013-06-27, 04:10 PM
awww.. :smallfrown:

JoshL
2013-06-27, 08:12 PM
Definitely a favorite. I also love What Dreams May Come. Great work on the Twilight Zone and Trilogy of Terror, and of course I Am Legend is a classic (maybe one day they'll do a film that doesn't miss the entire point of the title). But my all-time favorite Matheson is Legend of Hell House. Loved it as a kid, love it now.

Thanks for the stories!

huttj509
2013-06-28, 12:54 AM
I'm slightly surprised to find out he was still alive, he was certainly a very talented author. I Am Legend still stands as easily the best vampire book ever written, and one of the best post-apocalypse stories.

“Robert Neville looked out over the new people of the earth. He knew he did not belong to them; he knew that, like the vampires, he was anathema and black terror to be destroyed. And, abruptly, the concept came, amusing to him even in his pain. ... Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.”
― Richard Matheson, I am Legend and Other Stories

Love that story. So much great prose and concepts fit into a narrative that always surprises me that it's shorter than I remember.

"Come out, Neville."

Killer Angel
2013-06-28, 12:44 PM
“Robert Neville looked out over the new people of the earth. He knew he did not belong to them; he knew that, like the vampires, he was anathema and black terror to be destroyed. And, abruptly, the concept came, amusing to him even in his pain. ... Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.”

Yes, that was a concept of pure genius. A pity they didn't care while making the movie with Will Smith (although there's a hint in the alternative ending, if I recall correctly)

huttj509
2013-06-28, 12:57 PM
Yes, that was a concept of pure genius. A pity they didn't care while making the movie with Will Smith (although there's a hint in the alternative ending, if I recall correctly)

There have been 4 movies based off the story.

NONE of them managed to pull off the impact of the ending, though they varied in other parts.

Don't just focus on the most recent.

turkishproverb
2013-06-29, 09:12 PM
There have been 4 movies based off the story.

NONE of them managed to pull off the impact of the ending, though they varied in other parts.

Don't just focus on the most recent.

Well, 3 that were officially based on it. And at least the first tried to get the point across.