PDA

View Full Version : Potion Rules

Stea1k
2013-06-26, 10:46 PM
A few years ago I was helping someone think-tank ways of using wizards more like bakers. The Idea was that a wizard would create potions in the form cupcakes and various foods. As far as I know, the DMG defines potions as a vial containing a single spell within a liquid that is ruined if broken before ingestion, however I remember finding an entry in another 3.5 book that stated that potions were not required to be a liquid form, nor to be in glass vials. I thought it was Unearthed Arcana, but I don't think that is right.

I don't mean to use the play ground as a text search, but I figure someone here may know what book i am looking for.

Thanks for the help.

iDesu
2013-06-26, 10:50 PM
I believe what you're thinking of is alternate item types on page 137 of Complete Arcane.

tyckspoon
2013-06-26, 10:53 PM
Complete Arcane has those rules (I'd suggest ignoring the one piece of actual rule that says you require Craft Wondrous as well as Brew Potion to make these alternate forms of potion- this is well within the bounds of refluffing and should not have any additional mechanical hurdle, IMO.) Suggested forms of 'potions' include pieces of fruit and wafers of bread, so baked goods potions should be right in line.

Stea1k
2013-06-26, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the assistance.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-26, 11:55 PM
I'd be concerned about wolfing down a cupcake and choking to death : / At least in liquid form, it's less likely to stick in your throat.

Jeraa
2013-06-27, 01:03 AM
I'd be concerned about wolfing down a cupcake and choking to death : / At least in liquid form, it's less likely to stick in your throat.

I would imagine it would be closer in size to a mini-muffin. Those are much easier to swallow, being bite size.

inuyasha
2013-06-27, 01:58 AM
well I did see a feat in a 3rd party book that functioned exactly as brew potion, but you made food, like breads, meats, cheeses, soups etc, needless to say I had a gnomish wizard famous for his chili of stinking cloud, which he kept in small bowls that could be eaten out of in combat ;)

Slipperychicken
2013-06-27, 02:20 AM
Since potions are 1oz, I could see it as a tiny sugary treats of various shapes and designs. Generic things like stars, hearts, horseshoes, rainbows, emeralds, etc. Advertise it as being "magically delicious".

CRtwenty
2013-06-27, 02:47 AM
There's also rules for refluffing potions as ceramic tiles, paper charms, and various other objects in some of the other sourcebooks, but I can't remember which ones atm.

Maginomicon
2013-06-27, 04:11 AM
Make whatever you want as a potion and call the potion "magic sauce".
Use prestidigitation to create cotton candy.
Pour the 1-ounce vial of sauce on a bit of cotton candy.
Eat cotton candy.
????
Profit!

eggynack
2013-06-27, 04:27 AM
There's also rules for refluffing potions as ceramic tiles, paper charms, and various other objects in some of the other sourcebooks, but I can't remember which ones atm.
You're thinking of the alternate item types section of Complete Arcane, specifically page 138.

Roguenewb
2013-06-27, 06:49 AM
I like it. You have my support =) Spell Jerky, now in Bull Strength!

CRtwenty
2013-06-27, 06:51 AM

It'd explain all those "Messing with Sasquatch" jerky commercials. :smalltongue:

virgileso
2013-06-27, 09:06 AM
Related to the OP, at least in terms of it being a question of potion rules. For 3.5, can you combined multiple potions into one vial? Adding new abilities for other items has been referred to as increasing the additional abilities' cost by 50%.

For example: Spider Climbing + Bull's Strength + Jump into a single vial of Radioactive Spider Blood. Presuming all three are equal caster level, that's 300gp, 300gp, & 150gp respectively. With +50% on two of them, that makes a single vial cost 975gp.

That's only theory, as there might be a source where this is codified more. For all I know, all of the spells are tied in duration, making jump expire in 3 minutes with the rest of the effects.

Zubrowka74
2013-06-27, 11:25 AM
You're thinking about the Beaker of Plentiful Potions perhaps.

virgileso
2013-06-27, 12:59 PM
I was under the impression that was an old 1E magic item that only held one potion at a time, but refilled with a different potion when the contents were emptied. That's different from chugging one super potion and getting the benefits of having consumed two or three.

ArqArturo
2013-06-27, 01:08 PM

Are you suggesting Slim Jims are magical?.

Maginomicon
2013-06-27, 03:58 PM
Are you suggesting Slim Jims are magical?.Hey, they made that one Slim Jim transform into a crazy person that insists on being eaten.

Agent 451
2013-06-27, 05:50 PM
Related to the OP, at least in terms of it being a question of potion rules. For 3.5, can you combined multiple potions into one vial? Adding new abilities for other items has been referred to as increasing the additional abilities' cost by 50%.

For example: Spider Climbing + Bull's Strength + Jump into a single vial of Radioactive Spider Blood. Presuming all three are equal caster level, that's 300gp, 300gp, & 150gp respectively. With +50% on two of them, that makes a single vial cost 975gp.

That's only theory, as there might be a source where this is codified more. For all I know, all of the spells are tied in duration, making jump expire in 3 minutes with the rest of the effects.

There are potion miscibility rules (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b) for 3.5, although they are from an April Fool's article.