PDA

View Full Version : Stat her out: Red Sonya

Metahuman1
2013-06-26, 11:46 PM
So, pretty much what the title says. I want to see how the Playground would build this character if they wanted to play her.

Yondu
2013-06-27, 02:31 AM
I reminber and old 1st edition build :
She was an 11th Fighter
STR 11
INT 17
WIS 10
DEX 17
CON 11
CHA 18
HP 75
That was a quite weak character even for 1st Edition, but maybe adapt it in a Fighter / Barbarian build is the path...

Gwendol
2013-06-27, 05:00 AM
Swashbuckler instead perhaps? Or warblade/swordsage?

Craft (Cheese)
2013-06-27, 05:43 AM
I reminber and old 1st edition build :
STR 11
CHA 18

*facepalm*

DeltaEmil
2013-06-27, 05:44 AM
They might have based those stats on her Marvel comic-appearances.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-27, 10:53 AM
Supposedly she used speed and dexterity to counter Conan's mighty thews (comics). She is based on a character from Howard's short story "The Shadow of the Vulture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_of_the_Vulture)", a piece of historical fiction set in our world, and not Hyboria.

The comic book and pastiche novel character.... based on a 25 point buy (as per the suggestion in Core), I would stat her as "legendary" (so at least 12th level)... I might go Fighter 8, Rogue 4.... because D&D really doesn't have a method for divine combat prowess with a caveat of remaining celibate unless defeated in combat...

Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11 (she's beautiful, but always has a bad attitude). Attribute bonuses at 4th/8th/12th all go into Dex.

Feats would have to include Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Weapon Focus (Longsword), Weapon Finesse (Longsword), Weapon Specialization (Longsword), etc.

The Rogue's Sneak Attack is useful during mass battles, and Evasion and Uncanny Dodge helps her escape most explosions.

Arbane
2013-06-27, 10:55 AM
They might have based those stats on her Marvel comic-appearances.

They'd have to - that's where she was created. Red Sonya was a Robert E. Howard character, but she was from a story set in 1500-something Europe. One of the Conan comic writers thought someone like her would make a good foil to Conan, so they created Red Sonja.

I'd be inclined to stat her up as a Swordsage (light armor only, lol), maybe with a few Rogue levels?

ArqArturo
2013-06-27, 11:00 AM
I think Warblade would work best instead of Swordsage.

And, honestly, while I like the look, the utilitarian aspects of the chainmail bikini have always bugged me, to the point that most of my players point out that my campaign world only has Briennes of Tarth when it comes to female warriors.

Arbane
2013-06-27, 12:30 PM
I think Warblade would work best instead of Swordsage.

What do Warblades have in the way of 'no armor? no problem' defenses?

Can a Crusader work without heavy armor? Her fighting abilities were said to be a divine gift, after all...

And, honestly, while I like the look, the utilitarian aspects of the chainmail bikini have always bugged me, to the point that most of my players point out that my campaign world only has Briennes of Tarth when it comes to female warriors.

It's comics. Visual appeal >>> Sanity.

Yora
2013-06-27, 12:34 PM
One of the Conan comic writers thought someone like her would make a good foil to Conan, so they created Red Sonja.
Which in all Germanic languages except English, is pronouced like the English Y.

Suteinu
2013-06-27, 03:30 PM
For kicks & immature giggles:

Chain mail bikini
Mstwk. Ceremonial Chain Shirt.

Just sayin'.

Gwendol
2013-06-27, 04:21 PM
Swashbuckler 8/rogue 4 with Daring Outlaw and a truckload of skill tricks.

Oh, and definitely with the seduction class ability (dead level filler).

Metahuman1
2013-06-29, 08:59 PM
Maybe something like Swordsage 2 with either Kung Fu Genius or Astetic Monk/ Warblade 1/ Crusaider X?

That would give her a huge number of counters, help while fighting in light armor, divine based tricks, and access to every martial school you could apply to her, including Iron Heart for making going for the enemy's weapon more viable and crowd control as well as the ever badass Iron heart Surge.

Does this sound like it would work for this character?

Keldrin
2013-06-29, 10:39 PM
I love this stuff. Giants in the Earth in Dragon was always a favourite of mine. Would love to see more of these.

I remember trying to stat up Tarzan as a Ranger with a 19 ST which my friends decried ( this was back in 1ed), so apparently I suck at it.

Gygax's take on Conan was interesting with a complete lack of respect for the rules, lol.

I'd agree some rogue or skirmisher would be needed, not sure about Swashbuckler, she was a skilful brute , but perhaps she was more elegant, hard to remember. Crusader, for her divine origin is an interesting take.

Gray Mage
2013-06-29, 10:50 PM
What do Warblades have in the way of 'no armor? no problem' defenses?

Off the top of my head, Wall of Blades (http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/wall-blades--3661/).