PDA

View Full Version : Chaos-marine like boons (completely metagame)

Balor01
2013-06-27, 07:26 AM
So,

I have this bunch of NPC clerics and I want to give them all sorts of "upgrades" or "blessings" their God gave them. It it to be a single mutation for each, but I wonder what would these be.

I want my players to go "that guy can do WHAT"?

Should I just loot some monster abilities from MM2?

How do you guys suggest I approach this?

Players are lvl 6

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-27, 07:37 AM
I would crack open the Magic of Incarnum book and give each one a totem bound soulmeld from the totemist class with full essence invested. It should give each a very alien power without breaking the power level as it is limited by their HD.

shadow_archmagi
2013-06-27, 07:41 AM
There are also grafts in various books that might be interesting, but yeah, the Totemist idea is actually pretty solid, way to go, Fouredged Sword! I'd suggest not limiting yourself to the totemist, though- some of the other Soulmelding classes have neat things too, although Totemist is already essentially the class of "You summon animal parts and attach them" so fluffwise it fits perfectly.

ArcturusV
2013-06-27, 02:24 PM
Hmm, going for Chaos type stuff. Well, Slaaneshi type things would include a lot of odd things. If you go more with the flavor of the God/dess him/herself and his/her personal domain, rather than the thuggish one dimensional drug addicts that his marines tend to be, you can end up cribbing a lot of abilities. Like the Blinding Beauty thing from the Nymph, very Slaaneshi. Disciple of Aalarun's gaze attack (Makes one target in range 30 ignore everything to approach you and kneel at your feet for 5 rounds. They'll walk through Walls of Fire, get attacked without attacking back, etc, as long as you personally don't do anything to attack them). The Apostle of Peace's emotion calming Aura, also very fitting.

Nurgle? That one is similarly pretty easy. I mean you can basically just crib entire PrCs like Vermin Lord, Cancer Mage, etc, to pull for abilities that they might use. Also some of the Willing Deformity feats make perfect sense for boons that Grandpa Nurgle might have given out. Not to mention all the various disease and curse type spells out there as SLAs.

Khonites would be... kinda boring. One, they hate magic and supernatural stuff as it impinges on Martial Honor and such. Two, they're also really one dimensional no matter if you're looking at their marines, or their god. Rage powers, maneuvers from Tome of Battle, that's about it.

Tzeentch? Hmm... that's the opposite problem of Khorne. His whole schtick is Magic and creating stuff you wouldn't see coming. SLAs coming out of the butt seems like the logical way to take this. The powers he gives should probably be less predictable, and knowing his temperament, probably something that is gonna cost the caster quite a bit. Corrupt and Sanctified spells are good for that, as they come with Ability damage that cannot be negated. Taint spells is another way to take it. But really his whole thing is so open ended basically you can write "Yes" under anything that isn't liked by Khornites, and it would work.

Balor01
2013-06-27, 05:45 PM
Thanks to all for suggestions, especially Arcturus. I think I will just take a monster from MM2 and give her appropriate number of cleric levels (4 or 6) with appropriate stats in order to be able to cast spells, etc.