PDA

View Full Version : please help condense these classes

relytdan
2013-06-27, 08:53 AM
These classes and PRC's if totaled would be 100 levels worth - that I am asking for help to condense them into a 20 level character build
this build is likely to go on Race: Elf - the goal is to have a good archer that can handle a blade as well. - with the understanding this build is stuck in light armor.

Fighter - chosen for its massive bonus feat selection
Scout - Chosen for skirmish as well as several bonus feats
Dragon shaman - Chosen for draconis aura and other abilities
Order of the bow - Chosen for archery
Highland stalker - Chosen for skirmish and tracking
Deepwood sniper - Chosen for archery
Divine crusader - Chosen for spells, and other abilities

Xervous
2013-06-27, 09:11 AM
Summary, dump everything and start from the base.
1. Bonus feats aren't worth that much. -> remove fighter
2. Skirmish is piddly small damage. -> remove scout
3. Dragon shaman isn't doing much here. -> removed (see why in a bit)
4. remove order of the bow initiate. it's not doing much for you here.
5. tracking... just use divinations? -> remove highland stalker.
6. deepwood sniper... archery already has ludicrous range, critical hits don't increase your damage much unless you focus an entire build around them, and they don't affect precision damage (skirmish)... remove this.
7. Divine crusader: spells are good, having only 9 different ones to choose from is terribad...

You could go cleric, take Zen Archery (feat) to use wisdom for your ranged attacks and use the varied cleric buffs to get your strength score up for using your sword. Power attack is probably the only feat you need for mixing it up in melee. The other feats can be devoted to acquiring the archery feat tree, you're in here to get rapid shot and woodland archer. Purchase an Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a), slap the splitting enhancement on it from Heroes of Ruin (might be wrong source), and go to town.

Oh, and if you feel like doing other stuff, you've got cleric casting.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-27, 10:15 AM
I think you are currently looking at this from too high of a viewpoint. Let's get down a bit closer to see what really matters.

FIGHTER: You say you want the bonus feat selection. Make a list of all of the feats you need for your 20-level build. You already get seven feats. How many more do you need? You very well may be able to get some of these from other classes without ever taking a level in fighter.

SCOUT: Unless you are after the AC bonus from skirmish, what you are actually looking for here is a reliable source of increased damage. Sneak attack, sudden strike, and skirmish may certainly do this. There are lots of other ways to get your damage up there as well.

DRAGON SHAMAN: Exactly which auras and abilities do you want from this class? Please be specific. I don't see anything here an archer needs that can't be found elsewhere.

ORDER OF THE BOW - We already covered increased damage. Many of the other abilities can be picked up through other means such as Ranger spells.

HIGHLAND STAKER - Again, we've covered increased damage. The only tracking ability Highland stalker gets is swift tracking and it's not all that great.

DEEPWOOD SNIPER - I'm not seeing any archery benefits you can't pick up elsewhere. Which features do you want - be specific.

DIVINE CRUSADER - You want spells with an archer, take Ranger as their spells include Arrow Mind, Arrow Storm, and lots of other archer-specific spells. I am sure all of the other abilities are ones you can pick up elsewhere as well.

--------------------

Okay, now that we've gone over your requirements, I'm going to suggest a starting point. Swift Hunter (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html). The Ranger's combat style and the Scout's bonus feats should give you all the bonus feats you need. You get the full skirmish progression of the scout which should be sufficient once you take Greater Manyshot. Make sure you have a decent Wisdom score for bonus spells and the Ranger spells should fill a lot of the holes you are looking to fill. Look over the swift hunter link above, go through the questions I asked about what other abilities do you need and then decide what else you need to find a way to squeeze into your build.

sonofzeal
2013-06-27, 10:21 AM
You might find this guide (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.kr/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html) highly profitable. Swordsage'd. :smallsigh:

Flickerdart
2013-06-27, 10:27 AM
7. Divine crusader: spells are good, having only 9 different ones to choose from is terribad...
While there are some very strong domains that can stand on their own, a Divine Crusader can take a dip in Prestige Ranger and get all the juicy Ranger archery spells on its list, Contemplative for another domain, and so forth. No Divine Crusader worth its salt stays with just the one domain.