PDA

View Full Version : Fish out of water! 3.P Surviving out of the pond?

Feralventas
2013-06-27, 11:35 AM
Heya playgrounders.

I'm considering playing an aquatic race in a mostly land-locked game. What sort of items and equipment should I look for so as Not to choke to death over the course of 4d6 hours? Alternatively, are there any day-long or at least hour/level duration spells or psionic powers that could be regularly spammed to allow for adaptation instead?

3.5 content preferred, PF acceptable, and Spell-to-Power conversion available.

Yora
2013-06-27, 11:42 AM
With the GMs permission, I think endure elements should also protect an aquatic creature from drying out by being exposed to the air for long amounts of time. The spell specifically only mentions temperature, but if it protects a land creature from sunburn, heatstroke, and dehydration, (which are the effects of warm weather), I think it should also protect against skin drying up.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-27, 11:49 AM
Have you considered just picking up the Amphibious template from Stormwrack page 135?

Psyren
2013-06-27, 11:50 AM
With the GMs permission, I think endure elements should also protect an aquatic creature from drying out by being exposed to the air for long amounts of time. The spell specifically only mentions temperature, but if it protects a land creature from sunburn, heatstroke, and dehydration, (which are the effects of warm weather), I think it should also protect against skin drying up.

I think he's worried about "drowning" in air rather than desiccation. Endure Elements doesn't help you breathe underwater so it shouldn't help you breathe air either.

@ OP: Spell-wise you probably want Air Breathing from Stormwrack. 2 hours/lvl, divisible among any number of touched creatures. Or you can buy a ring of Landwalking from the same book, though it's a bit on the pricey side.

Psionics-wise, Adapt Body lets you breathe underwater or on land and lasts hours/level, but it's a 5th-level power. Breathless is a little better but has a shorter duration and is Ardent only.

RogueDM
2013-06-27, 11:54 AM
I shall summarize. Stormwrack. Stormwrack! STORMWRACK!

That is all.

Feralventas
2013-06-27, 11:56 AM
GM Permission denied on Endure Elements: Temperature purposes only.

Amphibious template may suffice, though I'm already looking at Playing an amphibious creature, so I'm not sure that that would remove the problem. I suppose tossing that on a Human might work out though.

Air Breathing is just Barely outside my reach, but I think I can swing that by either permanent item or delaying entry until after the next encounter, though that Definitely puts Adapt Body out of reach.

Yora
2013-06-27, 12:42 PM
If something is amphibious, it can breath air.

Infernalbargain
2013-06-27, 12:47 PM
Aboleth Mucus.

Psyren
2013-06-27, 04:12 PM
If something is amphibious, it can breath air.

This - the "amphi" in amphibious means "both." If you are playing an amphibioius race you have nothing to worry about. What race are you exactly?