PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about transitioning to Runequest 6 from 3.5. Any tips?

heavyfuel
2013-06-27, 01:19 PM
I've been playing D&D 3.5 for a while now, and wanted to try the Runequest system because I've been told it's a more "realistic" approach to the players -as in, they're not demigods - and I think that's something I'd enjoy.

Besides the difficulty increase, what are the major differences between the two systems, and what can I expect?

Thanks!

erikun
2013-06-27, 07:07 PM
It might be worth looking at some reviews (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/search-review.phtml?query=1&productName=Runequest) to see if the particulars of the system are to your liking. Be sure to look for "Runequest 6" or "RuneQuest 6th Edition", though, because there's several different editions under that title.

The cover should look like this one in the review. (http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=19251)

As for the system, I haven't played it myself. I haven't played any Runequest game, for that matter. However, in looking through information about it, two big differences stand out (for a former D&D3e player). One is that you don't apparently have a cleric with a fistful of healing spells to patch everybody up after a fight. It seems like characters are assumed to take time off between missions, rather than run from one sidequest to another with only one day's bedrest. (I am not sure how this affects recovery during fights.) The other is that, combat is based on a success-failure mechanic, with more successes allowing 'special effects' like stunning an opponent with a mace, or targetting a specific part of the body for damage.

Other than that, it is a skill-based system, which means that it looks like it focuses on more than just combat and hitting things with pieces of metal.

heavyfuel
2013-06-27, 09:09 PM
Thanks for linking those reviews mate.

I had a chance to look at the book itself in my FLGS today and while I only had an hour or so with book, your description seems pretty accurate.

I'll take a better look at the system to see if it's worthy learning.

Thanks again