PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Best spell for my build in the WLD?

Maginomicon
2013-06-27, 05:18 PM
Several years ago I built and solidified all 20 of the character levels of my first 3.5 character, which is for the World's Largest Dungeon campaign.

On my spell list progression is Dimension Door, which my GM may soon rule as not functioning in the WLD because of an anti-extradimensional-travel null field. The same null field means summoning spells definitively do not work.

Your Mission, should you choose to accept it:

What 4th-level spell should I use to replace dimension door?

I am the only arcane caster in a generally-unoptimized group consisting of a varying combination (as often some players can't attend) a factotum, a druid, a ranger, a rogue, a cleric, and a spontaneous-variant cleric.

I'd prefer to only swap out dimension door, nothing more (and I certainly can't swap out anything earlier than level 8 since the character's level 7 now).

Allowed Sources

Any WotC book and Dragon Magazines are okay, but 3rd-party material, pathfinder material, and homebrew are not. Spell research is also right out (and is why I didn't play a wizard, as there are no scrolls to be found or suitable locations for independent research in the dungeon).

Givens

Classes:
Sorcerer (Lvls 1-10)
Argent Savant (Lvls 11-15)
Earth Dreamer (Lvls 16-20)

Race: Human
Alignment: NG
Diety: Tamara

Starts (randomly) with:
STR 9
DEX 14
CON 15
INT 10
WIS 12 (WIS must be 13+ to PrC into Earth Dreamer)
CHA 16

The following is the main progression chart (WARNING: wide image)...

For Divine Sorcery, I picked the Healing Domain (from Tamara).
For Draconic Heritage, I picked Copper (thus the Draconic Breath is a 60ft acid line).
For the two extra languages, I picked Draconic (for obvious reasons) and Celestial.
Bold spells all have the [force] descriptor.
Italic spells are not found in the SRD.

http://www.tao.vg/roleplay/Am-Sul_Doran_Progression.png (http://www.tao.vg/roleplay/Am-Sul_Doran_Progression.png)
If it matters to you, the following is the skill progression chart (WARNING: wide image)...
http://www.tao.vg/roleplay/Am-Sul_Doran_Skills.png (http://www.tao.vg/roleplay/Am-Sul_Doran_Skills.png)
Design Concerns

The flavoring of the character can be inferred from his feat selection.

The character's mechanical concept is a survivor at nearly any cost that's capable of assisting in various roles. I want this character to live all the way to the end of the dungeon, even if he has to be a coward to do it.

He can provide healing (through Divine Sorcery tied to the healing domain), blasting (through Draconic Breath, Invisible Needle, manyjaws, chain missile, wings of flurry, etc.), limited melee (through displacer form), and support/utility (through pretty-much everything else in the spell list). He can even heal himself while healing others through draconic vigor and can recover wasted spell slots through the arcane reabsorption ACF (a very nifty combo). If there's an important role I've missed that isn't summoning, I'm particularly open to a spell that fills that niche.

I can provide the full texts of anything you don't know if you PM me.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-06-27, 07:47 PM
Could you post his current spell list and planned acquisitions in plain text? The table is a bit irritating to read.

Maginomicon
2013-06-27, 08:54 PM
Could you post his current spell list and planned acquisitions in plain text? The table is a bit irritating to read.

{table=head] ECL | CL | Swap Out | Swap In | 0-Lvl | 1st-Lvl | 2nd-Lvl | 3rd-Lvl | 4th-Lvl | 5th-Lvl | 6th-Lvl | 7th-Lvl | 8th-Lvl | 9th-Lvl
1 | 1 | | | Mage Hand / Prestidigitation / Read Magic / Resistance | Color Spray / True Strike | | | | | | | |
2 | 2 | | | Deftness | | | | | | | | |
3 | 3 | | | | Mage Armor | | | | | | | |
4 | 4 | | | Detect Magic | | Ray of Stupidity | | | | | | |
5 | 5 | | | | Shield | Wings of Cover | | | | | | |
6 | 6 | Mage Armor | Babau Slime | Ghost Sound | | | Mage Armor, Greater | | | | | |
7 | 7 | | | | Grease | Glitterdust | Manyjaws | | | | | |
8 | 8 | | | Dancing Lights | | | | Dimension Door | | | | |
9 | 9 | | | | | Emerald Planes | Chain Missile | Displacer Form | | | | |
10 | 10 | | | Light | | | | | Coat of Arms | | | |
11 | 10 | | | | | | | | | | | |
12 | 11 | | | | Silent Image | Invisibility | Snake's Swiftness, Mass | Wings of Flurry / Stone Shape | Prying Eyes / Wall of Stone | | | |
13 | 12 | Stone Shape | Mirror Image, Greater | | | | | | | Overwhelm | | |
14 | 13 | | | | | | | Thunderlance | Dispelling Breath | Howling Chain | | |
15 | 14 | Silent Image | Protection from Evil | | | | | | | | Animate Breath | |
16 | 5 | | | | | | | | Fly, Mass | Reflective Disguise, Mass | Brilliant Aura | |
17 | 6 | | | | | | | | | | | Irresistible Dance |
18 | 17 | | | | | | | | | | Grasping Hand | Moment of Prescience |
19 | 18 | | | | | | | | | | | | Absorption
20 | 19 | | | | | | | | | | | Polymorph Any Object | Shapechange[/table]

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-27, 09:01 PM
Resilient Sphere. Offensive, Defensive, and Utility spell. In my opinion its just about the best 4th level spell in the game.

Maginomicon
2013-06-27, 09:33 PM
Resilient Sphere. Offensive, Defensive, and Utility spell. In my opinion its just about the best 4th level spell in the game.
<Crasical> Far superior to the lesser-known counterpart, Reptilian Sphere.
<Maginomicon> You can do that actually. Wall of Scales.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-06-27, 09:42 PM
According to the list of "Spells that ****ing kill people...'

call of stone
charm monster
evard's black tentacles
fear
finger of agony (Complete Mage)
iceweb (Frostburn)
phantasmal killer
solid fog
greater rebuke (SpC)
wall of good (SpC)

I'd add Wall of Sand (Sandstorm) for the combination of BFC and suffocation, and Polymorph, for obvious reasons. A good Orb spell might also fit the bill.