PDA

View Full Version : metamagic'd spells in metamagic items?

kemmotar
2013-06-27, 05:39 PM
I was lounging around when a question occured to me. Would it be possible to find/buy/create magic items that use class features and/or metamagic feats?

This could potentially be any item. If you find a wizard willing to create for example a ring with a persisted blur. If possible, we could apply this to class features that affects spells, which bring me to the idea I started with.

A magic armour/ring/article of clothing with an antimagic field centred on the wearer. This could potentially create a curious paradox as magic item is creating the antimagic field, which then won't function etc. One way to solve this would be sculpt spell, which doesn't fit the whole picture I was considering.

By selecting the mastery of shaping high arcana from archmage and presto, all your magic items are working but your attacker's items aren't. Plus, you are impervious to spells and any wizard you have managed to approach is no more than a squishy commoner and you can fly to approach them even with a spell, given that you are not affect by the AMF.

I've never created a crafter nor dabbled too much in the magic item creation section of the DMG beyond the simple and usual (my favourite being the at will perstidigitation ring). As such I'm not 100% whether the above would be possible but I dont actually remember reading anything that would prevent it, though I could be wrong.

Adding metamagic feats is probably less controversial than adding the effect of high arcana to the item, but it could be argued that given that the wizard uses/casts the spell in the process of creation, if it is modified, wouldn't the modification remain in the item?

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-27, 08:38 PM
Yes, you could find/buy those items. However, it's up to the DM to decide if NPCs exist that can create them, and how difficult it is to locate them. Beyond that, there is no reason for an NPC to sell their items for less than the standard price - the CL on magic items typically doesn't affect too many things, and the NPC isn't suddenly going to be able to make up the "loss" in value from their items through mass sales, since few characters in the world are able to afford magic items. It still takes them the same number of days to create the item, as well, excepting a feat/feature for that.

Personally, when I'm statting out characters and buying them gear, I just use the standard price as if they were made by a wiz/clr of the minimum level to cast the spell, and nothing beyond that (unless the character themselves has crafting feats, of course).

ericgrau
2013-06-28, 04:09 AM
Metamagic in magic items is fine and there are plenty of examples. It is no more broken than the feats, though some feats may be questionable.

In terms of an antimagic field with a hole in the middle, an AMF only suppresses magic not blocks or destroys it. Magic would appear again in the middle hole, which might not be something you want.

Crake
2013-06-28, 08:44 AM
AMF only suppresses magic not blocks or destroys it

I remember seeing somewhere that an AMF also blocks line of effect for spells, so you cant say.. fire a ray or a melfs acid arrow through one against a target on the other side. Technically by that ruling you cant even summon something on the other side

TuggyNE
2013-06-28, 04:38 PM
I remember seeing somewhere that an AMF also blocks line of effect for spells, so you cant say.. fire a ray or a melfs acid arrow through one against a target on the other side. Technically by that ruling you cant even summon something on the other side

Unfortunately, it does not (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm). It makes no mention of blocking line of effect, so it doesn't.

eggynack
2013-06-28, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately, it does not (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm). It makes no mention of blocking line of effect, so it doesn't.
Ooh, I've been waiting a bit to use this one, for clarity purposes and such. On page 11 of the Rules Compendium, it says, "Spells don’t function in an anti- magic area, but an antimagic area doesn’t block line of effect." That seems pretty conclusive, if you accept the power of the Rules Compendium.