PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Organisation idea: Knightly Order of the Good Death

ArqArturo
2013-06-27, 08:07 PM
This is something I've scarcely used in my campaign setting, since my players seem not to be very interested into adventure into an undead-infested, wild-magic rich, cult-ripe continent with ancient cities. But, i'll post in the basics, and hopefully get some tips into make it feel more like a

I swear upon this Oath, to protect those that live and breathe, from those that Do Not. To serve the Light against the smothering Darkness, to bring Truth wherever I go. Upon this Oath, I entrust my soul, so that no god, no fiend, and no man can take it from me...
Oath of the Order

The Knightly Order of the Good Death was created to serve as a first and last line of defense against the hordes of undead that stalk the swamps of the mainland, offering themselves as caravan guards on the roads, as well as doing nightly raids on the areas known for undead activity. Recently, however, the Order has also begun to fight against Snake-worship cults, and the political machinations of nobles, to try and use them as tools to rise to greater power.

Foundation: The Records of the founding of the Order are hazy at best, but the Order's reason behind it were pretty clear: To Defend the Living from the Dead. Who was truly behind the creation of the power behind the Oath, the Mace of the Good Death, and even the other warding rituals done by the knights still remain a mystery. Many claim that Charon, the God of the Dead and Knowledge was behind it. Other claim more sinister powers behind their magic (since most knights within the order don't worship the gods, entrusting instead to their code, or more nebulous systems of belief). The knights' power and authority quickly grew, yet their desire was only to protect, so they invested their newfounded influence to boost their ranks and properly equip themselves, as well as to fortify roads, towns, and keeps under their protection from the predations of undead. Recently, because of their involvement in the protection of caravans, the knights have acted as a bank of sorts, something that has placed some nobles into considerable debt with them.

The Oath: Characters of the Cavalier class who adhere to the Order, as well as any Paladin or cleric that channels positive energy that joins the Order, must swear upon the Oath of the Good Death. The person that anoints the supplicant must be a seasoned member of the Order, and must do so in the Castle of Mordheim. The supplicant must then perform the Oath over the Mace of the Good Death (the mace is a minor artifact of the order, I've not made stats of it though). As the Oath is performed, the soul is protected from necromancy, and the body of the supplicant cannot be used as an undead, but it also frees the soul if the supplicant dies, so necromancers and intelligent undead usually target supplicants who have yet to swear the Oath

(Mechanically, the Oath prevents the character to rise as undead, under any circumstance. No character/monster of any level/CR can raise him. Ever. On the downside, the same goes for Raise Dead, Reincarnate or any similar spells).

The Altars of the Hallowed: These altars, usually built in important areas or in the outside part of some towns (particularly graveyards) are considered consecrated, yet since only anointed clerics can channel positive energy within these altars, it further points that foreign forces might be at work.