PDA

View Full Version : Hardened leather?

JohnStone
2013-06-28, 11:26 AM
is there a special material or other way to get leather armors with more AC and less dex. i figured there might be something like this for druids.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-28, 11:27 AM
Dragonhide armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#dragonhide) is in the SRD... it's meant so Druids can go beyond "Hide" armor.

Most people use Dragonhide Breastplates if they go druid. Just try to use a large cloak if you run into a real dragon, so they don't attack you on sight for wearing their cousin.

Feytalist
2013-06-28, 11:29 AM
By the way, according to the armour description in the PHB, leather armour is hardened leather.

Ironwood armour (or whatever its called) is magically strengthened wood, specifically so that druids may wear it. Ironwood breastplate is perfectly legal, for instance.

Nothing I know have both more AC and Dex bonus than normal leather armour, though.

Snowbluff
2013-06-28, 11:36 AM
Dragonhide armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#dragonhide) is in the SRD... it's meant so Druids can go beyond "Hide" armor.

Most people use Dragonhide Breastplates if they go druid. Just try to use a large cloak if you run into a real dragon, so they don't attack you on sight for wearing their cousin.

Get one made out of a dragon of an opposing alignment. No Gold dragon will care how many of those stupid Whites you killed to have a spiffy set of armor.

I don't think White and Gold dragons are even related, so it should be fine.

JohnStone
2013-06-28, 11:40 AM
Im sorry let me clarify, i was hoping for a relatively cheap (double price) way to make studded leather a better option for my lower dex character. at lvl 1

sort of the oppositr of eelskin or something

Jeraa
2013-06-28, 11:46 AM
Use the stats for a chain shirt, but call it hardened studded leather?

erikun
2013-06-28, 11:47 AM
Races of Stone has mammoth leather, although being a light exotic armor, requires a feat to use correctly. Still, at 45gp, it's rather cheap.

Hide and scale mail (+shield) are options as well, as you don't even get your combat style until 2nd level anyways. By then, you'll have more gold to buy a chain shirt.

JohnStone
2013-06-28, 11:50 AM
Use the stats for a chain shirt, but call it hardened studded leather?

I like this one. i figured if 50 studs did the job what would 150 studs do :)

Deophaun
2013-06-28, 12:25 PM
Ironwood armour (or whatever its called) is magically strengthened wood, specifically so that druids may wear it. Ironwood breastplate is perfectly legal, for instance.
Only reference I know to ironwood is a spell that lasts 1 day/level, so probably not the best. There is wildwood armor, but it's not really cheap and it goes in the opposite direction of what his low-dex character wants (-1 AC, +1 Dex mod). Buuut... your DM might be nice and let the fact that wildwood breastplates exist mean that darkwood breastplates exist. It'd still cost you 225 gp on top of the cost of the breastplate and masterwork. And that is CHEAP for an alternate-material armor. So, I don't think you're going to find something that fits your needs.

There's also darkleaf armor from the A&EG. That's about half the cost of a Mithral equivalent. Out of your range, but something to keep in mind.

And as studded leather has metal studs (and, if I recall, is actually based on a misunderstanding of brigandine armor), wouldn't that violate your vows anyway? [Checks the PHB real quick] Yeah, studded leather is not listed as a type of armor druids are allowed to wear. It's leather or hide.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-28, 12:33 PM
Chitin armor from RotD? Technically has the same statistics as metal armor, and can only make breastplate/plate/half-plate with it, but it's ACP is one less than metal.

It's twice the cost of normal masterwork armor of the type you're purchasing.