PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 spell storing intelligent items

ps377
2013-06-28, 02:48 PM
1. Can a spell storing item be intelligent? (i cant see why not but still asking)

2. An intelligent spell storing item, can it activate the stored spells by it own?
(i think yes, but still asking to be sure..)

3. if i wear, lets say, 2 intelligent spell storing rings, then i could "cast" 3 spells/round? 1 from me, 1 be casted by the first ring and the other by the other ring?

Darrin
2013-06-28, 03:04 PM
1. Can a spell storing item be intelligent? (i cant see why not but still asking)

Yes.

2. An intelligent spell storing item, can it activate the stored spells by it own?
(i think yes, but still asking to be sure..)

Spell-storing weapons can only release the spell after the weapon strikes a creature and does damage. If the intelligent weapon can't attack on its own, then it can't release the spell. The weapon would have to be an animated object, have the flying enchantment from Magic of Faerun, or something like the Dancing property to attack on its own.

3. if i wear, lets say, 2 intelligent spell storing rings, then i could "cast" 3 spells/round? 1 from me, 1 be casted by the first ring and the other by the other ring?

Spell storing rings can only be activated by the "wearer", so it's not clear to me if an intelligent ring would be considered as wearing itself. Assuming it can activate the stored spell on its own, then as an intelligent creature it should get its own set of actions and would get its own initiative count to use them. If you want to coordinate its actions with your own attacks, then you'd probably want to work that out beforehand or make a Diplomacy roll to convince the item to ready an action or change its initiative order to coincide with your own.

If you need to activate multiple spells as free actions, it's much cheaper and easier to do this with Glyph Seals (Magic Item Compendium). Attach the Glyph Seal to a pocket containing spell components or ammunition, or key it to a weapon so it activates whenever it touches a creature who isn't the wielder.

ps377
2013-06-28, 03:18 PM
Spell storing rings can only be activated by the "wearer", so it's not clear to me if an intelligent ring would be considered as wearing itself. Assuming it can activate the stored spell on its own, then as an intelligent creature it should get its own set of actions and would get its own initiative count to use them. If you want to coordinate its actions with your own attacks, then you'd probably want to work that out beforehand or make a Diplomacy roll to convince the item to ready an action or change its initiative order to coincide with your own.

from DMG

Intelligent items can actually be considered creatures because they have Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Treat them as constructs.

Unlike most magic items, intelligent items can activate their own powers without waiting for a command word from their owner. Intelligent items act during their owner’s turn in the initiative order.

For a spell storing ring, isn't its power to store spells and activate them later?
So, if it can activate its power, wouldn't it activate the spells?

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-28, 04:33 PM
From the SRD about Intelligent items...
All magic items with personalities desire to play an important role in whatever activity is under way, particularly combat. Such items are rivals of each other, even if they are of the same alignment. No intelligent item wants to share its wielder with others. An intelligent item is aware of the presence of any other intelligent item within 60 feet, and most intelligent items try their best to mislead or distract their host so that she ignores or destroys the rival. Of course, alignment might change this sort of behavior.

So... just one Intelligent Item per character. No multiples.