PDA

View Full Version : Free Illustration Software for Mac?

Khantalas
2006-12-06, 05:08 PM
Well, seeing how people draw a lot of things with those nifty illustration programs, I suppose I can give it a try (even though I can't draw well, I can get better).

However, there are a few problems before me.

1) I am a Mac user (and if you bash Mac users, I'll haunt you for the rest of your pitiful days).
2) I cannot afford any expensive software, because my parents won't let me shop online (I'm not 18 yet - doesn't that suck?).
3) Google won't help me (best search engine ever, my ass).

So, any advice?

P.S. And how do I find something purely electronic that helps me improve my drawing skills?

Flabbicus
2006-12-06, 05:16 PM
Inkscape works, but you have to open it up in the operating system that you download from the starting disk, and it is rather annoying to do so.

Khantalas
2006-12-06, 05:57 PM
So, any other suggestions?

Vaynor
2006-12-07, 12:43 AM
Appleworks wins. Already on your Mac, just look at your Apps. :smallsmile:

Khantalas
2006-12-07, 04:47 AM
Funny thing is, whenever I try to open it, it defaults to Microsoft Word.

And I can't even find the folder.

jami
2006-12-07, 09:06 AM
Yay Mac users! I'm using a Mac as well.

I don't know of too many free illustration programs for mac. I know they used to bundle photoshop elements and painter with the graphire tablets, but other than that, it's slim pickin's for us Mac users.

I think Alias, I guess Autodesk now, used to give away a free learning edition of SketchPad off their site. There's a water mark on the jammy but it works pretty well with a tablet.

Vaynor
2006-12-07, 10:21 PM
Funny thing is, whenever I try to open it, it defaults to Microsoft Word.

And I can't even find the folder.

Hmm, I just opened my HD, went to Applications, clicked on Appleworks (US English), then opened Appleworks 6. Worked fine. Maybe something is just wrong...

Khantalas
2006-12-19, 05:38 PM
Bump to get more response.

I still have no solution to my problem (except for begging my parents to buy me whatever good software is out there).

Mr_Saturn
2006-12-19, 09:57 PM
Sodipodi for the win. Its a nice free illustration program. Look at mine and dispozition's avatars and you can see the potential.

Free guide to draw in sodipodi is stickied in the art's and craft section.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8742
^ In the first page of this thread.

Khantalas
2006-12-20, 08:38 AM
So, is there a link where I can download it?

Mr_Saturn
2006-12-20, 01:08 PM
So, is there a link where I can download it?

The guide goes through all the steps, even downloading it.

I. Getting Sodipodi
1. Go to the downloads page on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4054).

2. Pick the file for your version of Windows. At the time of writing, the latest Sodipodi release is 0.34, and so the two Windows files are Sodipodi_0_34_Win2000_XP_Setup.exe (for Windows 2000 or XP) and Sodipodi_0_34_Win9X_ME_Setup.exe (for Windows 9x or ME).

3. Download and run the file. Make note of where you installed it (probably C:\Program Files\Sodipodi\).

4. Go to the Gaim website (http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php#wingtk) and get the GTK+ installer. This is a shared toolkit for the user interface (all the buttons and menus and whatnot). If you already have a program like Gaim or GIMP installed, you can skip this step.

5. Run that installer. Make note of where you installed it (probably C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\).

6. Go to where you installed GTK. Go into the "bin" folder. Copy the file libgmodule-2.0-0.dll

7. Go to where you installed Sodipodi. Paste the file. (You might want to rename the existing libgmodule-2.0-0.dll first, just in case. It shouldn't be necessary though.)

8. Make a copy of the file zlib.dll and name it zlib-1.dll

9. You're done!But then you dont have windows, so i dont know how it works that way. :smalleek:

Khantalas
2006-12-20, 01:10 PM
Yeah. For Windows. Not for Mac.