PDA

View Full Version : Going Shopping: Best Magic Items to stock up on?

unseenmage
2013-06-28, 11:26 PM
MIC tells me I can basically buy one Magic Item per hour so long as the DM okays it, I have the gp, and that item is within the purchase limit for the settlement I'm in.
(also the item is supposed to obey WBL etc but Monty Haul campaign so whaddayagonnado y'know)

I kicked that timeframe up to 1 item per day so I know whose coffers my gp is filling via Gather Info. That and so I can Plane Shift when necessary to shop in the City of Brass or Sigil.
(evidently the City of Doors in this campaign is more like a shopping mall than an interdimensional venus fly trap)

So now I have 72 days of downtime to buy stuff in. 72 magic items and money's no object.

What 72 Items should a level 9 gnome Gestalt Artificer/Cleric of Gond/Techsmith of Gond never leave home without?
Especially things to protect my investments or that are worth stocking up on.
Custom Items are a no-go for the open market.

Thanks regardless Playground.

Edit: No epic and no single item costing more than 200,000gp. Apologies for the omission.

Morcleon
2013-06-28, 11:55 PM
...when you say "money is not an issue", is that literally true, or is it more of just a generalization? Because if it's the former, the Epic Level Handbook has quite a few items you may be interested in. :smallcool:

unseenmage
2013-06-28, 11:59 PM
...when you say "money is not an issue", is that literally true, or is it more of just a generalization? Because if it's the former, the Epic Level Handbook has quite a few items you may be interested in.

Literally true, though I should have specified that I am not purchasing anything Epic or that costs more than 200,000gp

My apologies, editing the OP to reflect.

eggynack
2013-06-28, 11:59 PM
You desire a belt of battle, for it is at the heart of all things. You also might want to take a look at the list of necessary items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851).

unseenmage
2013-06-29, 12:01 AM
You desire a belt of battle, for it is at the heart of all things. You also might want to take a look at the list of necessary items.

I have perused both the List of Necessary items and Bunko's Bargain Basement both for this shopping trip and for the Artificer's custom crafting wishlist.

However, I mostly went for the shiniest things, I completely missed (and forgot) Belt of Battle thank you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-29, 12:07 AM
Anything you're lacking from this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851).

Fill any empty spots from this list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0).

Never go without one of these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101).

Morcleon
2013-06-29, 12:22 AM
Literally true, though I should have specified that I am not purchasing anything Epic or that costs more than 200,000gp

My apologies, editing the OP to reflect.

Seconding eggynack on looking through that list and getting the best of all that's there. Don't forget the magic item stacking rules, where all enchantments on a single body slot can be placed there all at once, with a +50% price increase for all but the most expensive base cost.

You'll also want...
Belt of Magnificence +6
Starmantle Cloak
Admiral's Bicorn
Skin of Proteus
+5 Tomes (all needed stats)
Ring of Telekinesis
+5 Ghost Ward Gleaming Greater Healing Blueshine Deepdweller Glamered Clockwork Armor
+5 Animated Medium Fortification Heavy Mithril Shield
Rings of Energy Resistance, Greater (all 5)
Ring of Deflection +5
Amulet of Natural Armor +5
Vest of Resistance +5
Ring of Sustenance
Periapt of Health
Periapt of Proof Against Poison
Necklace of Adaptation
Ring of Anticipation
Ring of Entropic Deflection
Sandals of the Vagabond
Horseshoes of Speed
Sparring Dummy of the Master
Ring of Freedom of Movement
Psicrown of the Astral Legion
Psicrown of the Discerning Watcher
Psicrown of the Temporal Juggler
Psicrown of the Traveler
Dorje of Bend Reality (several)
Scroll of True Resurrection (several)
Ring of Three Wishes (several)

:smallbiggrin:

7thW1ckedness
2013-06-29, 02:37 AM
A towel.

The one thing every adventuring person needs.

hydraa
2013-06-29, 11:07 AM
bag of devouring for those times that the outhouse is too far away

Sylthia
2013-06-29, 01:32 PM
Rope, always rope.

Endarire
2013-06-29, 06:16 PM
What about, say, an airship? I recall Shining South having stats, and Eberron should have plenty on that.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-29, 06:24 PM
Strand of Prayer Beads (Karma)
Ankh of Ascension
Metamagic Rods (Extend, Chain, Quicken, Sculpt)
Pearls of Power
Third Eye:Conceal
Shirt of Wraith Stalking
Decanter of Endless Water
Scrying Shard
Orb of Mental Renewal & Rod of Bodily Restoration
Wands & Eternal Wands of useful spells

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-29, 07:35 PM
Head: Cowl of Warding (MoF), it's 200,800 gp, see if you can get it reduced by dropping the Spell Turning effect. Otherwise a Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC), see if you can get ten times the daily charges for ten times the price.
Face: Third Eye: Conceal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#conceal) if you couldn't get the Cowl of Warding, combine with Third Eye: Sense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#sense) if possible. Otherwise a Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE).
Neck: Necklace of Adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation), +5 Enhancement bonus to natural armor per MIC p234.
Vest: Shirt of Wraith Stalking (MIC), Resistance 30 to four energy types per MIC p234.
Body: Mithral armor depending on Dex or Thistledown Padded (RotW) or just clothes if you use (Greater) Luminous Armor, +1 Soulfire (BoED), Freedom (MIC, only if you didn't get a Cowl of Warding). Add a Restful Crystal (MIC) if it's not light, otherwise a Lesser Crystal of Aquatic Action (MIC). Add armor razors (Und) of some special material which are +1 Illithidwrought, Blindsighted (both Und), Smoking (LoD), Defending. Add a weapon crystal (MIC) to the armor razors. You can add armor spikes/razors on leather straps if wearing enchanted clothing instead of armor.
Belt: Belt of Magnificence, Miniatures Handbook, 200k for +6 to all six stats.
Back: Phoenix Cloak (MIC), +5 Resistance bonus to saves and Resistance 30 to one energy type per MIC p234.
Wrist: Bracers of the Blinding Strike or Armbands of Might (both MIC), there's really not many good items for this spot. Add a +8 Armor bonus per MIC p234 if high Dex and no (Greater) Luminous Armor.
Hands: Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC), Spiked Gauntlet of some special material that's +1 Defending, Smoking (LoM), Displacement (OA, +100k for 50% miss as the spell), possibly more just in case you need to attack with it. Add a weapon crystal (MIC) to the gauntlet.
Ring: Ring of Three Wishes, +5 Deflection bonus to AC added per MIC p234.
Ring: Either a Ring of Major Spell Storing or a Ring of Elemental Command.
Feet: Boots of Temporal Acceleration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#bootsofTemporalAcceleration) or Boots of Teleportation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofTeleportation) (x4 the price for x4 the daily uses if possible).
Held: You can hold a Banner of the Storm's Eye (MIC) with a light shield. Get a Darkwood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#darkwood) Light Shield that's +1 Aporter, Called, Daylight (all MIC), Reflecting (DMG). Add a Crystal of Lesser Arrow Deflection (MIC). Add shield spikes of some special material which are +1 Eager, Warning (both MIC), Spellblade: Greater Dispel Magic (PGtF), Smoking (LoD), Parrying (MIC), Defending (DMG). Add a weapon crystal (MIC) to the shield spikes.
Unslotted: Gemstone of Heavy Fortification (Draconomicon), embedded via NPC spellcasting: Limited Wish (2410 gp).
Used: Manual/Tome +5 for each stat, two Rings of Three Wishes for +5 Inherent to natural armor and the last wish for max hp for your current level.
Possessed: All three grades of Metamagic Rods of Extend, Quicken, Maximize, Silent, Still, Chain (CA), etc. Night Sticks (LM). Pearls of Power (DMG), especially 3rd and 6th level. Rods of Bodily Restoration (MIC). Eternal Wands (MIC) of spells like Glibness and Hound of Doom (CW). Strands of Prayer Beads (DMG).

Be sure to put Magic Vestment on your shield and whatever gives you the highest armor bonus each day, only prepare it once and use a Pearl of Power to recover it, and of course Lesser Rod of Extend it and activate a Bead of Karma first. Put Greater Magic Weapon on your armor razors, shield spikes, spiked gauntlet, and whatever else you use, again Pearls of Power, Rod of Extend, and Bead of Karma, and put the full bonus of each toward your AC via Defending, which stacks with all other bonuses including itself.

unseenmage
2013-06-29, 09:17 PM
Head: Cowl of Warding (MoF), it's 200,800 gp, see if you can get it reduced by dropping the Spell Turning effect. Otherwise a Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC), see if you can get ten times the daily charges for ten times the price.
Face: Third Eye: Conceal if you couldn't get the Cowl of Warding, combine with Third Eye: Sense if possible. Otherwise a Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE).
Neck: Necklace of Adaptation, +5 Enhancement bonus to natural armor per MIC p234.
Vest: Shirt of Wraith Stalking (MIC), Resistance 30 to four energy types per MIC p234.
Body: Mithral armor depending on Dex or Thistledown Padded (RotW) or just clothes if you use (Greater) Luminous Armor, +1 Soulfire (BoED), Freedom (MIC, only if you didn't get a Cowl of Warding). Add a Restful Crystal (MIC) if it's not light, otherwise a Lesser Crystal of Aquatic Action (MIC). Add armor razors (Und) of some special material which are +1 Illithidwrought, Blindsighted (both Und), Smoking (LoD), Defending. Add a weapon crystal (MIC) to the armor razors. You can add armor spikes/razors on leather straps if wearing enchanted clothing instead of armor.
Belt: Belt of Magnificence, Miniatures Handbook, 200k for +6 to all six stats.
Back: Phoenix Cloak (MIC), +5 Resistance bonus to saves and Resistance 30 to one energy type per MIC p234.
Wrist: Bracers of the Blinding Strike or Armbands of Might (both MIC), there's really not many good items for this spot. Add a +8 Armor bonus per MIC p234 if high Dex and no (Greater) Luminous Armor.
Hands: Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC), Spiked Gauntlet of some special material that's +1 Defending, Smoking (LoM), Displacement (OA, +100k for 50% miss as the spell), possibly more just in case you need to attack with it. Add a weapon crystal (MIC) to the gauntlet.
Ring: Ring of Three Wishes, +5 Deflection bonus to AC added per MIC p234.
Ring: Either a Ring of Major Spell Storing or a Ring of Elemental Command.
Feet: Boots of Temporal Acceleration or Boots of Teleportation (x4 the price for x4 the daily uses if possible).
Held: You can hold a Banner of the Storm's Eye (MIC) with a light shield. Get a Darkwood Light Shield that's +1 Aporter, Called, Daylight (all MIC), Reflecting (DMG). Add a Crystal of Lesser Arrow Deflection (MIC). Add shield spikes of some special material which are +1 Eager, Warning (both MIC), Spellblade: Greater Dispel Magic (PGtF), Smoking (LoD), Parrying (MIC), Defending (DMG). Add a weapon crystal (MIC) to the shield spikes.
Unslotted: Gemstone of Heavy Fortification (Draconomicon), embedded via NPC spellcasting: Limited Wish (2410 gp).
Used: Manual/Tome +5 for each stat, two Rings of Three Wishes for +5 Inherent to natural armor and the last wish for max hp for your current level.
Possessed: All three grades of Metamagic Rods of Extend, Quicken, Maximize, Silent, Still, Chain (CA), etc. Night Sticks (LM). Pearls of Power (DMG), especially 3rd and 6th level. Rods of Bodily Restoration (MIC). Eternal Wands (MIC) of spells like Glibness and Hound of Doom (CW). Strands of Prayer Beads (DMG).

Be sure to put Magic Vestment on your shield and whatever gives you the highest armor bonus each day, only prepare it once and use a Pearl of Power to recover it, and of course Lesser Rod of Extend it and activate a Bead of Karma first. Put Greater Magic Weapon on your armor razors, shield spikes, spiked gauntlet, and whatever else you use, again Pearls of Power, Rod of Extend, and Bead of Karma, and put the full bonus of each toward your AC via Defending, which stacks with all other bonuses including itself.

That, is an excellent list. Probably exactly what I needed.

The good news is my DM is fine with custom stuff (he did allow the Artificer after all) so long as it's properly priced.

The bad news is that in order to slow down the rate at which the Artificer breaks the game all items that aren't as-is straight from the books are custom items and all custom items (in our game at least) have to be researched like a custom spell replacing Spell Level with Caster Level. (So a CL11 custom Aurorum Clockwork Armor would be 11 weeks and 11,000gp and a Spellcraft check to know how to make or commission.)

I'm still definitely going to give this thread as well as Bunko's, Shax's, and the Necessary Item list a good combing over.

Thanks all.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-29, 10:08 PM
If you haven't spent everything, consider buying a few tree tokens (DMG, under Quaal's feather tokens. 400gp for a permanent, living tree that can be used for a myriad of things. I almost always have a couple on any character that has a bit of cash to spare.

Morcleon
2013-06-29, 10:09 PM
That, is an excellent list. Probably exactly what I needed.

The good news is my DM is fine with custom stuff (he did allow the Artificer after all) so long as it's properly priced.

The bad news is that in order to slow down the rate at which the Artificer breaks the game all items that aren't as-is straight from the books are custom items and all custom items (in our game at least) have to be researched like a custom spell replacing Spell Level with Caster Level. (So a CL11 custom Aurorum Clockwork Armor would be 11 weeks and 11,000gp and a Spellcraft check to know how to make or commission.)

I'm still definitely going to give this thread as well as Bunko's, Shax's, and the Necessary Item list a good combing over.

Thanks all.

You may also want to find whatever other magic items catch your fancy and stack them on via the magic items stacking rules in the SRD. :smallwink:

Arkhosia
2013-06-29, 10:14 PM
A towel.

The one thing every adventuring person needs.
Also a blue box.

unseenmage
2013-07-01, 10:40 PM

This part I do not understand...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-07-01, 10:50 PM
This part I do not understand...

Draconomicon page 83, Gemstone of Fortification. It's embedded in the owner's hide, easy for a dragon to do. Anything that's not a dragon or equally scaly needs a Limited Wish or better to embed the gem in their body so it will function. It provides fortification as the armor property, without occupying an item spot. The price of +1 Heavy Fortification armor is exactly equal to the same +1 armor plus a Gemstone of Heavy Fortification. If your armor is anything greater than +1 equivalent then the gemstone is a more economical choice even with the NPC casting fee for a Limited Wish.

NPC spellcasting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) costs spell level x caster level x 10 gp, plus xp component x 5 gp, that's the price of an NPC limited wish at the minimum caster level.

The gemstone also cannot be unequipped, stolen, sundered, etc. so it's guaranteed heavy fortification for the life of the character.

unseenmage
2013-07-01, 11:12 PM
Draconomicon page 83, Gemstone of Fortification. It's embedded in the owner's hide, easy for a dragon to do. Anything that's not a dragon or equally scaly needs a Limited Wish or better to embed the gem in their body so it will function. It provides fortification as the armor property, without occupying an item spot. The price of +1 Heavy Fortification armor is exactly equal to the same +1 armor plus a Gemstone of Heavy Fortification. If your armor is anything greater than +1 equivalent then the gemstone is a more economical choice even with the NPC casting fee for a Limited Wish.

NPC spellcasting costs spell level x caster level x 10 gp, plus xp component x 5 gp, that's the price of an NPC limited wish at the minimum caster level.

The gemstone also cannot be unequipped, stolen, sundered, etc. so it's guaranteed heavy fortification for the life of the character.

Would that work for a construct/undead character too?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-07-01, 11:15 PM
Would that work for a construct/undead character too?

Doesn't matter, limited wish makes it work for anyone. It should actually be easier for an undead/construct because they shouldn't care as much as someone who can bleed about a rock being jammed into their torso.

unseenmage
2013-07-01, 11:18 PM
Doesn't matter, limited wish makes it work for anyone. It should actually be easier for an undead/construct because they shouldn't care as much as someone who can bleed about a rock being jammed into their torso.

Excellent, thank you.

ryu
2013-07-01, 11:40 PM
Also get a bag of holding if you don't already have one and gain access to the spells invisibility and nondetection. If you already don't have to breath combine all of those for the safest place to sleep imaginable. If you do have to breath or want to let in party members who do grip up some necklaces of adaptation. Who needs a demiplane, magnificent mansion, or rope trick when you can literally sleep in your murder-hobo treasure container safely. At your level people don't have the tools to find you through these measures.