PDA

View Full Version : Ways to stop the "Hostile tingle" on a successful save

Crake
2013-06-29, 02:16 AM
The thread title pretty much says it all. Is there any way to prevent an enemy from feeling the hostile tingle on a nondamaging effect after a successful save?

CRtwenty
2013-06-29, 02:45 AM
You mean that pesky "You feel an alien presence attempting to dominate your mind but manage to shrug it off" type tingle? I don't believe so, though there are feats that allow you to mask your presence or redirect the source of your ability so an enemy won't necessarily know that it's you who cast the spell or used the ability.

Chronos
2013-06-29, 11:55 AM
On the flip side, one use of Prestidigitation I like is to create that tingle, when there's no actual spell being cast.

Namfuak
2013-06-29, 12:03 PM
On the flip side, one use of Prestidigitation I like is to create that tingle, when there's no actual spell being cast.

Prestidigitation can't be used to duplicate the effects of a spell.

Deophaun
2013-06-29, 12:30 PM
Prestidigitation can't be used to duplicate the effects of a spell.
There are effects, and the there are effects. Whether this is one or the other is DM interpretation (as "effect" as a rules term refers to the Effect: line in a spell's header; beyond that, you're in adjudication land).

Not on the list of things prestidigitation is explicitly allowed to do, but creative.

Flickerdart
2013-06-29, 12:42 PM
Prestidigitation is versatile, but affecting the mind in any way is not one of the things it can do.

Lvl45DM!
2013-06-29, 12:45 PM
Prestidigitation is versatile, but affecting the mind in any way is not one of the things it can do.

But a weird tingle on someones body should be feasible? i'd give em a save to realize the difference.

Flickerdart
2013-06-29, 12:49 PM
Given that the tingle happens with spells that have no obvious physical effects, the tingle happening on their body makes no sense.

Besides which, prestidigitation has an exclusive, not inclusive, list of effects:

Slowly lift 1 pound;
Clean, color, or soil items;
Chill, warm, or flavor nonliving material;
Create crude objects.

"Make a tingle" is not on that list.

Sylthia
2013-06-29, 01:36 PM
Given that the tingle happens with spells that have no obvious physical effects, the tingle happening on their body makes no sense.

Besides which, prestidigitation has an exclusive, not inclusive, list of effects:

Slowly lift 1 pound;
Create crude objects.

One could rapidly cool the air around a person, giving them goosebumps for no apparent reason, making them suspect some sort of magical cause. They could altar the wavelength of incoming light, thus rapidly change its color, making magical involvement suspected.

Flickerdart
2013-06-29, 02:58 PM
One could rapidly cool the air around a person, giving them goosebumps for no apparent reason, making them suspect some sort of magical cause. They could altar the wavelength of incoming light, thus rapidly change its color, making magical involvement suspected.
a) Air and photons are not "material"
b) None of that are "a tingle"

Madara
2013-06-29, 03:03 PM

Slowly lift 1 pound;
Create crude objects.

There's also an expanded list in the 3.0 Tome and Blood.

Crake
2013-06-29, 03:19 PM
Strangely enough this thread was about stopping the tingle, not faking it, but please, do carry on. To add my personal opinion to the current debate, I would, under no circumstances, let prestidigitation replicate the hostile tingle felt upon succeeding on a save. If you want to achieve that, you'd instead need to create an effect with a save DC so low that only a 1 for people would fail. Or just get a harmless at will SLA that you can spam until they fail.

pwykersotz
2013-06-29, 04:25 PM
It's a bit of a trick, but if you can wrangle manifesting personal only powers on another person, you can always use Synesthete to make the sense unrecognizable.

Chronos
2013-06-29, 06:37 PM
And that's not necessary to produce that tingle, since plenty of non-mind-affecting spells have a save to negate. Nor does it mimic any spell effect, since that's what happens when you don't make a save.