PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Undead template?

LordHenry
2013-06-29, 04:10 AM
I swore I saw something I could add to an Undead, which made him intelligent, much like you can do with a shadesteel golem for example (this only works on constructs though).
I want to make a zombie Dragon intelligent. Restoring some of its previous intelligence (and knowledge) would be fine as well.

Secondly, my NPC in question is focused on Necromancy and has a neat CL of 22 for necromancy spells (But is only ECL 18) - What would be smart choices for Necromancy spells, using his high caster level to his advantage?

hamishspence
2013-06-29, 04:18 AM
You are probably thinking of the Awaken Undead spell in Libris Mortis (and in the Spell Compendium).

LordHenry
2013-06-29, 04:45 AM
Of course, thank you.. its even in the deathbound domain I gave the NPC... talk about memory loss. Thanks!

Would it be possible to maximise empower Awaken Undead for 10+ 1d3 INT?

Any suggestions for spells that benefit from high CL, especially form the necromancy school?

Uncle Pine
2013-06-29, 05:17 AM
There's also the corpse creature template from the Book of Vile Darkness (3.0 technically, but it's not been updated AFAIK): the resulting undead is similar to a zombie, but it's not limited to a standard/move action per round and it retains the Int, Wis and Cha of the base creature.

EDIT: Corpse creatures can be arised from a create undead or create greater undead spell. Moreover, a corpse creature retains every Special Attack and Special Qualities of the base creature.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-29, 06:12 AM
EDIT: Corpse creatures can be arised from a create undead or create greater undead spell. Moreover, a corpse creature retains every Special Attack and Special Qualities of the base creature.

Unfortunately, you have to control them by other means, as create undead and create greater undead don't let you automatically control the results. Command undead won't work terribly well, as corpse creatures are intelligent and so it only works like charm person.

hamishspence
2013-06-29, 07:07 AM
Of course, thank you.. its even in the deathbound domain I gave the NPC... talk about memory loss. Thanks!

Would it be possible to maximise empower Awaken Undead for 10+ 1d3 INT?

The spell description goes out of its way to say you can't raise the undead's intelligence past the average for the living creature.

Uncle Pine
2013-06-29, 07:22 AM
Unfortunately, you have to control them by other means, as create undead and create greater undead don't let you automatically control the results. Command undead won't work terribly well, as corpse creatures are intelligent and so it only works like charm person.

The OP said the undead dragon is for a NPC, meaning that the NPC won't have any problem controlling or dealing with the dragon... unless the OP decides so.
However, you're right: any PC in dire need of an intelligent undead companion should think twice before raising a corpse creature.