PDA

View Full Version : How to Make a Personal Alarm Clock

PallElendro
2013-06-29, 08:21 AM
Lately, I've noticed that my senses have dulled from my old age. In order to meet the demands that every-day life has forced upon me, I require something to allow me to start the day. Standard alarm clocks take up space, are either too loud or too quiet, and they play a monotone staccato of beeps with easy-to-reach access. I figured that since everyone has some form of electronic device in their room, that they will want to exploit its power. I found such a program that reads the clock and takes the computer from sleep mode just to play an alarm. Free Alarm Clock for Windows (http://freealarmclocksoftware.com/) seemed like the perfect choice. Set for any time at any day of the week, at a volume level of your choosing, the program forces the computer to wake up from Sleep Mode, not Hibernate, not Shut Down, play a sound track that has come with the program, or any sound file that's available. .mp3, .m4a, .wav, .wma.

The tricky part is to make it so no-one can hear it, but you can. For me, I bought a pair of Turtle Beach P11s. The long cord stretches over the length of my room, they're headphones, not earbuds, and don't leak too much noise. I'm sure there are cheaper options where you live, but I also got these for gaming. Once the headphone part is down, the one thing that's on everyone's mind is something along the lines of, "Christ in a cornucopia, I want this thing off." This is counteracted by the long-corded headphones. With the small amount of physical exertion, the muscles will start to use brain work, causing you to move from your sleepy state to an activated state in no time. Especially if you require a password upon waking the computer from sleep mode.

Like all other alarms, this has a Snooze setting you can set from 3 to 10 minutes. I've never used it before, but let's see how everyone else fares.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-06-29, 07:15 PM
Seems pretty confusing and high-maintenance. I just use my cell phone.

Mando Knight
2013-06-29, 07:46 PM
I have a cat that gets hungry early in the morning. She doesn't have a snooze button, and the only way to turn off the alarm is to feed her. :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2013-06-29, 08:51 PM
I have a cat that gets hungry early in the morning. She doesn't have a snooze button, and the only way to turn off the alarm is to feed her. :smalltongue:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Fredcat/Cats%2003/Cat-CatJumpingOntoBedBestAlarmClock.jpg

---

This seems like an awful amount of effort and an awful amount of expense to fix a relatively low tech problem, not to mention all the ways this "alarm clock" could fail.

You can just buy a cheap alarm clock, radio alarm clock, mp3/etc alarm clock, or docking station (for iPod/iPhone/iPad/other mp3/etc device) alarm clock, or alternatively use your mp3/etc device (including phones) to do that on its own.

Palanan
2013-06-29, 09:05 PM
Sunlight is enough for me.

Since it's just past solstice, and summer where I am, my problem is being awakened too early by the light from my east-facing window.

Earlier this spring, before the sun was rising quite that early, my problem was the @#%$&!! white-throated sparrow who would start singing at 6:14 on the pruned shrubbery in front of my house. This was approximately three (3) feet from my head on the pillow. A brick wall is insignificant when set against the power of a sparrow.

angrymudcrab
2013-06-29, 09:39 PM
I hook up a lamp to an automatic timer. Set it to shut down about an hour before I usually go to bed, and turn on when I have to get up.

noparlpf
2013-06-30, 12:09 AM
I use my phone and just leave it across the room from my bed.

Brother Oni
2013-06-30, 12:28 AM

Small children also work admirably well.

This plan doesn't work as well once they're big enough to make their own breakfast though.

Grinner
2013-06-30, 12:48 AM
Small children also work admirably well.

That's an awfully expensive option, though. :smallwink:

PallElendro
2013-06-30, 01:09 AM
The point of my alarm clock is that no-one but myself is able to hear whatever music they want to wake up to without disturbing others. I even use this on weekends and vacation. It goes as follows, in six-second rounds

Round 1: Jim is taking an Extended Rest.
Round 2: Computer's readied action: Inspire Competence (Bard) - Exotic Instrument. Uses implement - headphones to make a Stealth check. Takes 10 on DC 10. Successful check.
Round 3: Jim takes two move actions and a minor action to pull the covers off, shift, and stand up.
Round 4: Computer takes a Standard Action and sustains Bard Song
Round 5: Jim takes a move action a minor action, and a standard action to sit at the computer, move the lid, and input the password. Takes 10 on DC 15 Thievery check. It is successful.
Round 6: Computer takes a Standard Action and sustains Bard Song
Round 7: Jim takes a minor action to click the "Off" button on the screen. Automatically interrupts Bard Song.
Post-Encounter Match: Jim wins. Jim has rested. Jim has earned +2 EXP for Stealth and Thievery. Items received: Laptop password (Key)

Rawhide
2013-06-30, 01:12 AM
The point of my alarm clock is that no-one but myself is able to hear whatever music they want to wake up to without disturbing others. I even use this on weekends and vacation. It goes as follows, in six-second rounds

Easily achievable with the suggestions I've made.

Alternatively, use those same headphones in your phone/mp3/etc device.

PallElendro
2013-06-30, 01:43 AM
They're USB headphones, which means I can't plug them in my .mp3 device.
Plus, iPods don't have bass boosters. :biggrin:

thubby
2013-06-30, 02:12 AM
you could get an alarm that isn't sound based. there are a number of devices that will flash your lights, vibrate your bed, and probably someone made one that fills the room with teargas somewhere...

Rawhide
2013-06-30, 02:24 AM
They're USB headphones, which means I can't plug them in my .mp3 device.
Plus, iPods don't have bass boosters. :biggrin:

You could have, like, gotten some normal headphones...

Of course not, that's a function of the receiver/amplifier/speaker.

you could get an alarm that isn't sound based. there are a number of devices that will flash your lights, vibrate your bed, and probably someone made one that fills the room with teargas somewhere...

I read that on my phone and misread teargas as teenagers.

Ebon_Drake
2013-06-30, 05:59 AM
There are apparently robotic alarm clocks that run away and hide after going off so that you have to get up and find it before you can switch it off. It seems like an infuriating way to start your day, but if you really struggle to get up then it could work.

**nudge-nudge, wink-wink** say no more...

Brother Oni
2013-06-30, 08:46 AM
That's an awfully expensive option, though. :smallwink:

Yeah, the maintenance costs quickly mount up, which is why you need to make the most of them to get value for money. Personal alarm clock is just one of the many functions that Small ChildTM has.
At least you can pay them peanuts* to get them to do most small tasks, although don't I would trust them with anything that you wouldn't trust a well trained** dog to do.

The kicker is the enforced upgrade plan from Small ChildTM to Surly TeenagerTM. :smallsigh:

*Or confectionery, more usually
**House broken at a pinch

noparlpf
2013-06-30, 09:00 AM

I used to wake up my old roommate by lifting one end of his bed half a foot and dropping it, because nothing else worked, not even his four different alarms (that woke me up instead).

I read that on my phone and misread teargas as teenagers.

Oh geez, that would be the worst alarm clock.

Feytalist
2013-07-01, 04:42 AM
Oh geez, that would be the worst alarm clock.

The best alarm clock.

If by best you mean one that forces you to get up and get the hell out of your room.

razark
2013-07-01, 08:39 AM
I see several problems with this method.

1. How can you fall asleep in headphones?
2. Headphone cord. I'd end up wrapped in it.
3. How do you know they'll stay on all night?