PDA

View Full Version : Spirit-made-real template PleaseEACH

DMwithoutPC's
2013-06-29, 10:38 AM
ok, first some background on why I am creating this template. The animal compagnion of my groups ranger died, and through a combination of magical material and divine intervention, we got it's soul to manifest on the material plane (it's a long story). This was my first attempt at what the template should be, and I'd like to hear the opinions of what more experienced homebrewers, before I show it to my party. N.B this is my first attempt at an template.

Spirit-made-real Template (CR +…)

Creating a Spirit-made-real creature
“Spirit-made-real” is an acquired template that can be added to any incorporeal creature, most likely ghost or the souls of the recently departed.
Challenge Rating: ...
Alignment: same as when still an Ethereal creature.
Type: the creature loses its incorporeal subtype, but keeps all other types and subtypes.
Armor Class: though the creature once again has a physical body, he weighs nearly nothing. This makes him lighter and more agile. +2 Dodge bonus AC
Hit Dice: they retain all hitdice which they had as an ethereal creature, but instead of constitution, wisdom gives bonus health each level (use the new, modified wisdom for this)
Saves: Good reflex, bad Fort, good will save.
Defensive Abilities: immune to any fort based save. Immunity to precision based attacks (such as Sneak Attack, Critical Hits, etc.)
Speed: +10 land base speed.
Attacks: the creature keeps all attacks it had
Special Attacks: The base creature counts as being ghosttouch all the time. However, this also means it is stoped by any type of ward that would work against an ethereal creature.
Abilities: +2 Dex, +4 wis. If the creature was undead (like a ghost or Wrath) is has no constitution score. if the creature was a normal Ethereal creature, it keeps the constitution modifier it had.
Skills: +8 racial bonus on jump checkes, because it weighs nearly nothing.
Special Qualities: for 1 minute per wisdom modifier per day, the Spirit-made-real can become ethereal. Activating this ability is a move equivalent action and at will.
Because it is nearly wheightless, it does not get falling damage, however far they fall.

Yogibear41
2013-06-30, 10:47 PM
There is the Spirit Animal template in frostburn, you maybe able to get some ideas from that.

DMwithoutPC's
2013-07-13, 08:29 AM
Thank you, I'll look into that, But I do not have Frostburn myself, do you know anywhere I can find this material?

JennTora
2013-07-13, 01:20 PM
So does it get its original strength score back or what?

DMwithoutPC's
2013-07-13, 03:44 PM
Yes it does, but I'm open for sugestions

JennTora
2013-07-25, 07:39 AM
If they weigh basically nothing, they probably shouldn't take falling damage. I don't know if RAW covers that or not.

DMwithoutPC's
2013-07-25, 07:49 AM
Smart!, thanks

Debihuman
2013-07-25, 09:12 AM
So they keep their Undead type? They just lose their Incorporeal subtype? What about incorporeal creatures that aren't Undead? See Unbodied.

Alignment: Most undead are evil. What do you by "same as before". Before what? Do they keep their current alignment or you they gain the alignment that they had before becoming an Undead? And not every creature's backstory is known so there will be more even more work to use this template.

The problem is going to be remembering how many hit dice they had in life if for some reason that's important. Ghosts don't change HD, however, wraiths do.

Savage Species or Dragon Mag. #300 have the wraith template but it doesn't necessarily help with NPC wraiths who may not have that kind of backstory.

Do they regain Con 10 or roll normally for it?

You can just say they have Good Will and Reflex saves and Poor Fort saves. We all have charts for that.

I have to give this Template a B-. It has some interesting ideas but it fails to deliver and makes the DM's job much harder.

Debby

DMwithoutPC's
2013-07-25, 10:53 AM
So they keep their Undead type? They just lose their Incorporeal subtype? What about incorporeal creatures that aren't Undead? See Unbodied.

Alignment: Most undead are evil. What do you by "same as before". Before what? Do they keep their current alignment or you they gain the alignment that they had before becoming an Undead? And not every creature's backstory is known so there will be more even more work to use this template.

The problem is going to be remembering how many hit dice they had in life if for some reason that's important. Ghosts don't change HD, however, wraiths do.

Savage Species or Dragon Mag. #300 have the wraith template but it doesn't necessarily help with NPC wraiths who may not have that kind of backstory.

Do they regain Con 10 or roll normally for it?

You can just say they have Good Will and Reflex saves and Poor Fort saves. We all have charts for that.

I have to give this Template a B-. It has some interesting ideas but it fails to deliver and makes the DM's job much harder.

Debby

They keep their undead subtype, if they are not undead they keep the other types and subtypes they had

With same as before I mean same as before they were turned Spirit-made-real, so a wraith would remain evil, and a ghost who was True Neutral would remain TN

You are right about the HD thing, and now I'm reading through it again, it seems very illogical. They get changed from something ethereal to something not-ethereal, there "living form" has nothing to do with this.

They lack a constitution score, because they are still undead. And if they were Ethereal, non-undead creatures, they would allready have a constitution score, which does not change.

I'll change the Saves.

Thanks for the feedback Debby; you always give people great advice!