PDA

View Full Version : Redcloak's Snarl knowledge

DeadMG
2013-06-29, 12:41 PM
Y'know, it occurs to me that if Redcloak knows the Crayons of Time version of the Snarl and events, how the hell do we explain his lack of reaction in #545?

Both Redcloak's and Xykon's plans for what to do with the Gates when they get one involves using the Snarl's destructive power to achieve various goals. But the rift in Azure City is pretty useless for this purpose, considering that it's not destroying anything. So what if the Dark One did move the Gate to some other God's home planet, and open it? At the current time, it looks like the Snarl would just sit around picking it's nose. It's not going to be a very effective blackmail. And Xykon is going to face the same core problem. Having power over the rifts and gates isn't going to be of much use if the Snarl won't destroy anybody/anything once they're open.

Even if the theories about the Gates calming the Snarl are right, and destroying them would restore it's former aggressive nature, this fundamentally changes the Plan by requiring a much larger risk of uncontrolled Snarl being released, and to defeat the guardians of ALL the Gates, not just one or two.

So I'm kinda curious as to why he seems so completely unconcerned about a Plan-ruining problem. Unless he knows something we don't.

AgentofHellfire
2013-06-29, 12:54 PM
I actually can think of a couple answers to this problem:

1. A destroyed gate isn't the same as an open gate, somehow. Perhaps the effects of "opening" a gate alter what that gate does to the snarl rather than simply removing the gate from the equation.
2. While Redcloak and other mere mortals can't get the Snarl to do anything, the Dark One has other abilities at his disposal that might prod it into action.
3. The snarl isn't actually interested in destroying the mortal realm. It only wants to kill the gods, and to some extent the Dark One knows this, and imparted a similar explanation into Redcloak.

thereaper
2013-06-29, 02:08 PM
There is nothing to suggest that Redcloak and Xykon have seen what is within the rift. Redcloak speculates that the Snarl cannot see the open rifts as long as any of the Gates stand.

However, opening a gate via the ritual would supposedly bypass this somehow.