PDA

View Full Version : How to create Incorporeal Undead?

Vaz
2013-06-29, 01:22 PM
Is there a spell which creates Incorporeal Undead, of any particular kind (although preferably templates that keep as many of the targets base abilities that it had in life), similar to how Animate Dead creates Skeletons/Zombies etc?

Cheers!

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-29, 02:48 PM
Is there a spell which creates Incorporeal Undead, of any particular kind (although preferably templates that keep as many of the targets base abilities that it had in life), similar to how Animate Dead creates Skeletons/Zombies etc?

Cheers!

Create Greater Undead can make Shadows, Wraiths and Spectres however the magic it self grants no control over them you'd need control undead or rebuking to command them.

Krobar
2013-06-29, 03:47 PM
What he said. Create Greater Undead is the only spell I can think of off-hand that does what you want.

That said ...

when you create them, assuming you can also control them, make them get into a bag of holding or portable hole. Repeat. When you reach your limit for controlling undead, close off the bag or portable hole and get another one. Fill that one too. Repeat until you have a huge army of shadows.

This is the sort of thing you do during downtime. When you get some time off between adventures, just make note of how many days, how many castings, etc., and be sure to let the DM know you're doing it. If you do it enough times, and then never use them, he'll not see any harm in what you're doing.

Until you need them.

Do I need to tell you what you can do with hundreds, or even thousands of shadows, wraiths, spectres, etc. that your character spent months if not years of his life collecting?

The Viscount
2013-06-29, 04:16 PM
Credit where credit is due. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=181.0)

Spectral Mage is the only one I see from this list that is an incorporeal template.

123456789blaaa
2013-06-29, 06:01 PM
The Putrefaction spell from Dragon #300 is a level 9 spell that causes the victim to age by 1 age category each round. When they go past venerable they die and their corpse reanimates as a zombie. A ghost is also formed from their soul (it's turned evil and is free-willed but "favorably disposed" towards the caster). You can control a number of ghosts equal to the casters Cha bonus.

The Mastery of the Dead feat from Player's Guide to Eberron, p. 125 allows you to create one ghosts at a time when you slay someone with a [Death] spell. It remains present for a number of rounds equal to your caster level (or until you are slain, whichever comes first).

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-29, 09:11 PM
Shapechange into an Incorporeal Undead that can make more of its self.

I prefer the Incarnum Wraith as my undead of choice for this because it only creates spawn when it kills characters with an essentia pool. And it looks quite cool.

Shapechange, create a few hundred, have them hang out inside the same square as you most of the time. Permanent Telepathic Bonds and a Bag of Holding to store them in for teleports are also useful.

And best of all it doesn't count against the number of undead that you can control.