View Full Version : Swordmages and Familiars

Burley
2013-06-29, 02:20 PM
The only time I have used a famliar was with my Artificer, and I basically perched him on the Defender's or Striker's shoulder for Magic Weapon.
Now, the idea hits me that a familiar may be useful for a swordmage, and, without my books, I'm asking how true this can be.

Are there any familiars a swordmage should lust for, or any powers that become more effective with a familiar?

Surrealistik
2013-06-29, 02:50 PM
Disembodied Hand is master race.

Swap your items (and specifically utility implements like Staff of the Traveller, Staff of Aversion, Orb of Nimble Thoughts, etc) in and out as often as you like. Some assembly (implement proficiencies) required.

tcrudisi
2013-06-29, 03:01 PM
I really don't like Disembodied Hand for a Swordmage. It's a great familiar, but I just feel like you won't use it on a Swordmage.

I feel like the best familiar for a Swordmage is the Gallant Hawk. Yes, Mark of Warding is better, but sometimes its not available (DM doesn't allow Eberron stuff or dragonmarks) or you want the +2 to perception from the hawk. The active benefit is pretty good, too.

So while I'd normally choose Mark of Warding, I can see times where I'd pick up the Gallant Hawk instead. But - I do feel like its the best familiar for a Swordmage.

Surrealistik
2013-06-29, 04:07 PM
The answer is always Disembodied Hand, so long as you have the feats to spare on picking up requisite implement proficiencies.

Burley
2013-06-30, 02:03 AM
Cool.

Now, then, are there any powers that would be useful to use your familiar's space, rather than your own? I, again, don't have my books. Would leaving your familiar on thd striker's shoulder be useful for your defender powers?
I know one of the Aegis paths gives you short term teleportation, but as a reaction, not an interrupt.
So, would interrupting aegis powers benefit from a familiar's space?

Mando Knight
2013-06-30, 01:59 PM
So, would interrupting aegis powers benefit from a familiar's space?

Not really, unless you like to play in large battlefields and spend the fight across the way from your Striker. Aegis immediate actions have a base range of 10 squares (and there are options to expand that to 20 or so).

However, the initial mark part of the ability is only Burst 2, so being able to use your familiar's space for that can be useful.