View Full Version : Looking at the Solar

Someonelse
2013-06-29, 02:45 PM
<--- Spending his Saturday afternoon in his basement doing math and paper work... on purpose! :D

Hello Everyone!
So I'm just going through the Solar and breaking it down. Why? Because they're awesome, so I started working on a project I have wanted to do for a long time, making a racial class for the Solar.

Solar is right here if you want to look at it - http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm

Right now I'm working on the idea that it will be 42 levels, but when I have it all down and spread out I may rearrange it. I assumed they started with the elite array, I assigned the elite array scores in order of most to least and extrapolated the ability bonuses. So for example, Str is the highest score at 28 so the 15 in the elite array goes to strength. It didn't work out perfectly because the Solar has a few abilities with the same numbers, but I assigned the elite scores logically. I'm trying not to give more than a +1 or +2 at each level, but I'm finding it hard to spread over even 42 levels, after working it out I wound up with a bunch of extra ability points, which were solved by just letting the Solar start with a +2 to Str, Con, Int, Wis & Cha.
The part I'm working on now is spreading out those spell like abilities in a logical way that allows a somewhat balanced (if maybe a little overpowered) advancement for a playable class. I started by breaking it down to 1/day, 3/day and at will so I can start the good ones off at 1/day and move them up to at will gradually. There are a lot of SLAs that are more fluff than mechanical advantage, like remove curse, disease and fear, those are certainly useful, but I don't think they give a player that much of a tactical advantage, so I don't think it would be game breaking a first or second level character could remove curses and diseases.
I haven't set up the other abilities yet, but those are easy. One thing I'm trying to decide on is his cleric spells. He casts as a level 20 cleric, but he has 22 hit dice. So right now I'm thinking that he will get spells with his 3rd hit dice, then as he advances in level he casts spells with an effective cleric level of his HD-2 (with the first 2 hit die in a row at level 1 and 2, the rest of the hit dice are staggered every other level all the way to Lv42), so at Lv42 he will cast spells as a Lv20 Cleric.

One thing I'm curious about, I notice they have Permanency 3/day, does this mean that 3 times a day they can make any of their spell like abilities permanent? Or can he only do the spells listed for permanency? It seems to me the answer would be yes, because it's an inherent ability, not a spell he learned, so it seems to reason that it would apply freely to all his other inherent abilities. But if he were to apply it to one of his cleric spells it would have to be something on the official list. (by the way is there an expanded list? maybe something someone figured out and posted on a forum somewhere?)

I'm sure I'll think of other things, but I'm going to get back to working on it.

Yora
2013-06-29, 02:48 PM
Permanency only works on spells and spell-like abilities that are listed in the description of the permanency spell.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-29, 05:16 PM
Permanency only works on spells and spell-like abilities that are listed in the description of the permanency spell.

And the spells that explicitly say they can be rendered permanent with permanency.

Gildedragon
2013-06-29, 05:43 PM
Their racial ability bonuses are easy to calculate: ability score -10 or 11 (whichever gives an even number)

+18, +10, +10, +12, +14, +14

Note, however, that SS style classes aren't good for pcs wanting to play the type. Matching up HD with CR strikes me as a more sensible approach.

Karnith
2013-06-29, 06:07 PM
(if maybe a little overpowered)
If you're spreading out a Solar's abilities over 42 levels, I really wouldn't worry about it being overpowered. Quite the opposite, in fact; gaining HD roughly every other level is a pretty good way to cripple a monster class. It loses you the advantages of an Outsider's good HD by giving you HP, BAB, saves, and skill bonuses at half the normal rate.

Based on what you've posted so far, for instance, a Solar 20 levels into your class would have 11 HD (which with d8 HD means that they will have average HP to 49 + 11*Con bonus, or roughly on par with a wizard), a BAB of +11 (barely above a wizard), base saves of +7/+7/+7 (barely better than a level 20 commoner), max skill ranks equal to 14 (slightly better than a 20th-level character putting all of their skill ranks into cross-class skills), and spellcasting equal to a 9th-level cleric (just gaining access to 5th-level spells). I don't know what special abilities/stat boosts the class would give out at this point, but unless you're giving out a lot by that point out the class is pretty much going to comparable to the Adept (the NPC class).

And by level 42 (not that I'd expect a game to ever get that far), you're going to be the equivalent of a CR 23 creature in a game where everyone is level 42. That's, uh, a bad place to be, if I needed to say it.

Gildedragon
2013-06-29, 06:27 PM
So lets take the cleric as a base class.
HD are the same across both
Solars cast as lvl 20 clerics and have 22 HD
So lets say the cleric casting is got from cleric levels; what is a reasonable LA for the 2 HD left over? Would it be reasonable to have a Lvl 1 Solar entry, and further solar classing down the line?

Raineh Daze
2013-06-29, 06:43 PM
Monster class for a Solar? (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=586.0) Well, it's actually a Planetar until 20th level, but eh. Not an exact duplicate, though, so if you want that, this isn't something to look at for ideas.