PDA

View Full Version : 2e Books

ThermalSlapShot
2013-06-29, 03:06 PM
So I never really had a ton of 2e books, I got into D&D right before 3.5 came out so the only books I've ever picked up was the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master Guide. My friends had all the Monstrous Manuals so I never really had a need for them (when I DMed I borrowed those books).

However now I'm going to be DMing a 2e game for some new to 2e players, they started with Pathfinder then switch to 4e and now want to try 2e.

However I don't have any of the monstrous manuals :smallannoyed:

I found a local place where I can buy the original one used (good condition) but then I noticed that WoTC has in fact released an updated version in May of 2013.

Does anyone know if getting the new book is worth it? Did they fix or update anything? Should I get the older one or the newer one?

Any help would be appreciated.

hamlet
2013-06-29, 03:32 PM
My understanding is that it's exactly the same text as the old one, and for a lot of money on top of that.

If I were you, I'd search Ebay or some of the other used book shops out there and you're sure to find a copy for significantly less.

And if you're using 2ed, be sure to grab the 2ed monster book rather than the 1ed monster book. The differences are slight, but they do exist and will futz with your math a bit.

ThermalSlapShot
2013-06-29, 05:00 PM
My understanding is that it's exactly the same text as the old one, and for a lot of money on top of that.

If I were you, I'd search Ebay or some of the other used book shops out there and you're sure to find a copy for significantly less.

And if you're using 2ed, be sure to grab the 2ed monster book rather than the 1ed monster book. The differences are slight, but they do exist and will futz with your math a bit.

See that is what I thought it might be.....

Thanks

BWR
2013-06-30, 04:15 AM
(Scrubbed)

hamlet
2013-06-30, 10:07 AM
Wouldn't that be posting copywrited material here?

Jay R
2013-06-30, 01:42 PM
Go to used books stores every week or two, and you can slowly pick up just about all the 2E books.

BWR
2013-07-01, 03:49 AM
Not everyone has such awesome used book stores in their area.

I have yet to find a single RPG supplement of any kind in any of the ones I've visited around here.

hamlet
2013-07-01, 08:21 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Monstrous-Manual-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Accessory/dp/1560766190/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372684805&sr=8-1&keywords=monstrous+manual

Used on Amazon for a mere $10. Found that in about 30 seconds.

You can find it on ebay probably for less.

ken-do-nim
2013-07-09, 08:44 AM
I have a 2E Monstrous Manual in which the pages are upside down from the covers. I've never seen another one like it.

Jay R
2013-07-09, 09:42 AM
abe.com is the equivalent of visiting a huge number of well-stocked used bookstores, because that's exactly what it is. Here's the link for the Monstrous Manual (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Dungeons+and+Dragons&tn=monstrous+manual).

thorr-kan
2013-07-09, 10:17 PM
Required:
PH
DMG
Monstrous Manual

Fun to have:
Legends & Lore
Book of Artifacts
Tome of Magic
High Level Campaigns
Complete Book of Humanoids
Complete Necromancer's Handbook

Interesting to use:
The rest of the Complete series. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of them over the years.

If your a REAL DM (TM):
The Al-Qadim sourcebooks and modules. Role-playing GOLD, the heights of which have never been equaled.

I might be a bit biased.

Hawriel
2013-07-10, 04:02 PM
WOTC is republishing 2nd ed books.

hamlet
2013-07-10, 09:26 PM
WOTC is republishing 2nd ed books.

Already has, and overpriced.

Better to buy used copies for much less.

JadedDM
2013-07-11, 08:09 AM
Oh, yeah. I saw some in the bookstore the other day. The DMG was something like $50? Outrageous. The original DMG for 2E was only $18. There hasn't been that much inflation since then.