PDA

View Full Version : Campaign logs and the like - where to find them?

Swordprince
2013-06-29, 03:56 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new here on these forums, and decided to register since I like the forums at first glance. Seems like a nice community and overall nice people. Least I hope so xD So, hey everyone!

Hopefully, that will cover my introduction! I've been playing D&D for a long time, although the last couple of years, not really, due to lack of people to play it with :( Luckily, I found something interesting to do while not being able to play D&D, and that something would be reading campaign logs of other players.

I recently came upon Silverclawshift's campaign archives (yes, I know, they are approximately 4 years old), and I have to say that they were such a blast to read that I could not get away from my computer screen for 2 whole days! Reading those was beyond awesome.

So, my question is simple. Where to find more such stories and campaign logs, or however you'd call them? I would love to read more such stories that basically detail entire campaigns and such, and was wondering where I could find them. So if anyone can point me into the right direction, that would be great. I do enjoy reading that stuff. Oh and yeah, please make it 3.5 or 3.0 D&D. That's pretty much what I played :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys!

SiuiS
2013-06-29, 04:03 PM
There are a dearth of them here in the playground (though you're right, folks around here tend towards less internet hostility!). For my story fix, I go to Enworld and rpgnet, depending on what I want.

For D&D stories, Sepulchrave II's Tales of Wyre (which started out as Lady Despina's Virtue, wherein the DM gave the party paladin just enough doubt that he couldn't execute a "repentant" fiend, and it spiralled from there into the best example of epic play I've ever seen) and Sagiro's Further Adventures of Abernathy's Company (which has the enitre ten-year run, from 1.5e all the way up to 3.5 with house rules, and is till being finished off since the last thirty or so sessions haven't been written yet) are some of the best games I've ever seen, although much longer than Silverclaw Shift's they are no less spectacular and touching.

RPGnet has more non-D&D games, and I am particularly interested in thier world of darkness stories. DaveB's Actual Plays (the local name for campaign logs ovr there) are a hoot.

Otherwise, the best you could do is read through the In-Character threads for a play by post game here in the playground. Not bad, but much more mechanically heavy and somewhat slow. Still, a good one can be just as fun to read, if the thread isn't cluttered with too much out of character stuff!

And welcome to the Playground, friend! I hope you find what you're looking for, and enjoy your romp here. :smallsmile:

Swordprince
2013-06-29, 04:14 PM
There are a dearth of them here in the playground (though you're right, folks around here tend towards less internet hostility!). For my story fix, I go to Enworld and rpgnet, depending on what I want.

For D&D stories, Sepulchrave II's Tales of Wyre (which started out as Lady Despina's Virtue, wherein the DM gave the party paladin just enough doubt that he couldn't execute a "repentant" fiend, and it spiralled from there into the best example of epic play I've ever seen) and Sagiro's Further Adventures of Abernathy's Company (which has the enitre ten-year run, from 1.5e all the way up to 3.5 with house rules, and is till being finished off since the last thirty or so sessions haven't been written yet) are some of the best games I've ever seen, although much longer than Silverclaw Shift's they are no less spectacular and touching.

RPGnet has more non-D&D games, and I am particularly interested in thier world of darkness stories. DaveB's Actual Plays (the local name for campaign logs ovr there) are a hoot.

Otherwise, the best you could do is read through the In-Character threads for a play by post game here in the playground. Not bad, but much more mechanically heavy and somewhat slow. Still, a good one can be just as fun to read, if the thread isn't cluttered with too much out of character stuff!

And welcome to the Playground, friend! I hope you find what you're looking for, and enjoy your romp here. :smallsmile:

Thanks man! Yeah, I did notice that people were less hostile here than on most forums. Kind of what attracted me to it. It seems like a very nice community.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tomorrow is sunday, and I'm definitely gonna be reading the ones you mentioned, since you said they were pretty damn epic! Silverclawshift's campaigns were awesome though, I have to give her that (I picked up SCS was female by reading through the campaigns), and I must say how happy I am the doppelganger made it xD Yeah, I know, a bit silly to talk about it 4 years after it ended, but I can't help it. The doppelganger was awesome!

And yeah, I've found the play-by-post stuff, seems pretty awesome to read, actually, but I think I will give your initial suggestions a try first :)

And thanks for the warm welcome, and the quick response as well, I appreciate it!

Saph
2013-06-29, 04:21 PM
I used to do quite a few campaign journals. The two I wrote up on this board were the Seven Kingdoms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139572) campaign (where I was a player) and Red Hand of Doom (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94243) (where I was DM).

My real-life job means I rarely have time to do game write-ups anymore, but those ones were fun while they lasted!

Swordprince
2013-06-29, 04:31 PM
Hey thanks Saph! I'll give those a look as well, I'm having fun reading this stuff, and it seems I already got some material to read.

The more, the better though. And yeah, life does get in the way, but then again, some things have priority over gaming. But still, when one does have the time for some quality D&D, it doesn't get better that that :)

Amidus Drexel
2013-06-29, 06:56 PM
I'm reading/have read a few, so I'll post those here. Seconding Tales of Wyre, by the way - that was a good read.

Three Coins, Two Birds, and a Gilded Sword (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260466) - Updates semi-regularly; once or twice a month or so.
The Big One (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247997) - Finished (to my knowledge). It's long, hilarious, and was lots of fun to read. He has some other logs, but I can't seem to find them - they're good too.

There were some other good ones that I've read, but I've either lost the links, or they were abandoned and no longer update.

I also have one of my own (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285356), but it updates infuriatingly slowly. :smallamused:

SiuiS
2013-06-29, 08:06 PM
Thanks miss! Yeah, I did notice that people were less hostile here than on most forums. Kind of what attracted me to it. It seems like a very nice community.

Any time!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tomorrow is sunday, and I'm definitely gonna be reading the ones you mentioned, since you said they were pretty damn epic! Silverclawshift's campaigns were awesome though, I have to give her that (I picked up SCS was female by reading through the campaigns), and I must say how happy I am the doppelganger made it xD Yeah, I know, a bit silly to talk about it 4 years after it ended, but I can't help it. The doppelganger was awesome!

If you do, give both a pre-read to see which you wanna follow. Tales of Wyre is very, uh, educated; it's a game about geological historical shifts through myth cycles by someone who has done multiple university runs on the subject. I learned a lot by reading it! On the other end, Abenathy's company is a very good depiction of the silly side of D&D still being an epic story. It's less by the rules but no less awesome.

I'm reading/have read a few, so I'll post those here. Seconding Tales of Wyre, by the way - that was a good read.

Still going! I'm not even sure how to explain where they are though. Eadric was moving towards accepting chthonic native ontology, I think.

Kazemi
2013-06-29, 10:27 PM
I'd also recommend Oakspar77777's posts on the WotC forum, "Lessons from DMing with my GF", which is not only interesting to read but also has great advice for DMs. It effectively finished a couple of years ago.

Actual forum (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19905354/Lessons_from_DMing_with_my_GF?pg=1)
Single page link (http://home.nerbonne.org/dnd/oaksparthread-H.xhtml)

I'll keep you updated on anything else I find. This is my new pass time as I try to improve my skills as a DM and entertain myself.

Also, did I miss something from SCS regarding the third campaign that wasn't included in the archive?

Swordprince
2013-06-30, 04:56 AM

Three Coins, Two Birds, and a Gilded Sword (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260466) - Updates semi-regularly; once or twice a month or so.
The Big One (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247997) - Finished (to my knowledge). It's long, hilarious, and was lots of fun to read. He has some other logs, but I can't seem to find them - they're good too.

There were some other good ones that I've read, but I've either lost the links, or they were abandoned and no longer update.

I also have one of my own (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285356), but it updates infuriatingly slowly. :smallamused:

Thanks to you as well Amidus, those links look great, I'll give all those a go. I really didn't think I would be getting that many campaigns to read, but I'm certainly not complaining!

Any time!

If you do, give both a pre-read to see which you wanna follow. Tales of Wyre is very, uh, educated; it's a game about geological historical shifts through myth cycles by someone who has done multiple university runs on the subject. I learned a lot by reading it! On the other end, Abenathy's company is a very good depiction of the silly side of D&D still being an epic story. It's less by the rules but no less awesome.

Oh! My apologies miss! :)

It looks like several people are recommending Tales of Wyre, so I do think I will give that a read first. And if it's educational as you say, then I'm definitely going for it. Lots of stuff to read though, so it seems I'll be having lots of fun.

I'd also recommend Oakspar77777's posts on the WotC forum, "Lessons from DMing with my GF", which is not only interesting to read but also has great advice for DMs. It effectively finished a couple of years ago.

Actual forum (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19905354/Lessons_from_DMing_with_my_GF?pg=1)

I'll keep you updated on anything else I find. This is my new pass time as I try to improve my skills as a DM and entertain myself.

Also, did I miss something from SCS regarding the third campaign that wasn't included in the archive?

Thanks for the links, man (or miss? I don't know anymore haha)! I'll be giving those a try as well, definitely. Yeah, you know, I never got to DM myself, but I'm kind of leaning towards it (don't have anyone to play with though) so trying to improve as a future DM would definitely be great, so I'm always up for reading something that will help me learn more about being a DM. I was always a player though, found it more fun to play than to DM.

I don't think you missed out on anything regarding SCS's campaign. They had 2 campaigns that were finished, and a third one that never got finished :( So no, I don't think you missed out. I read SCS's campaigns recently, so I know. Then again, if the third campaigns was continued anywhere, I'd sure like to know! To my knowledge though, no, the third on was not continued, and it looked so awesome.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate the time! If anyone has any more suggestions, then please keep them coming :)

Anxe
2013-06-30, 10:20 AM
Gonna second Sagiro and Saph's stuff (or third at this point? whatever). I'm making my way through Sagiro's Part 2 now. I've also got a campaign log of my own if you'd like to check it out. I'm the DM and the PCs are attempting to fight the greatest challenge to the Olympian Pantheon yet, an evil dragon god. There's a linky in my signature.

For other campaign logs, they are usually posted in Roleplaying games here. I believe EnWorld has a dedicated forum section on their website though called Story Hours. You should check that out as well after you've exhausted the numerous suggestions here.

And welcome to the forums!

EDIT: Oops! Took the link out of my signature awhile ago. Here it is instead. Xorian Wars (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216560)

Swordprince
2013-06-30, 01:46 PM
Gonna second Sagiro and Saph's stuff (or third at this point? whatever). I'm making my way through Sagiro's Part 2 now. I've also got a campaign log of my own if you'd like to check it out. I'm the DM and the PCs are attempting to fight the greatest challenge to the Olympian Pantheon yet, an evil dragon god. There's a linky in my signature.

For other campaign logs, they are usually posted in Roleplaying games here. I believe EnWorld has a dedicated forum section on their website though called Story Hours. You should check that out as well after you've exhausted the numerous suggestions here.

And welcome to the forums!

EDIT: Oops! Took the link out of my signature awhile ago. Here it is instead. Xorian Wars (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216560)

I have been reading Sepulchrave's tales of wyre for some hours now, I gotta say the serious tone of the campaign is killing me, although that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great story! I would like something with some more combat in it though, but there's much stuff to read here anyway, I'm sure I'm gonna have fun reading it all.

Thanks for the link to your own campaign as well, I'll be giving everything a good look, and I think I might postpone reading the tales of wyre (for now) in order to read something a bit less serious, and more humorous :) Also, your campaign sounds interesting, I'll take quick look!

And thanks for the welcome!

Nemesis67
2013-06-30, 05:55 PM
I'd highly suggest Kaveman26's series of campaign logs here on the Playground. Amidus Drexel already suggested The Big One, so here is that link again and all of his others (I think).

Following are copy-pasted from Kaveman's signature:

Chaotic GoodFellas-Complete
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245596

The Big One-Complete
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247997

City State of The Enigmatic Overgnome-Complete

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245994

An Adversarial Process-Complete

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240332

CalimshawShank Redemption-Complete

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244374

There was also one campaign journal I read on here, I think, that I rather enjoyed... Something with a Orc Barbarian named Fluffy? Apologies, I do not recall the name.

Oh, and since you mentioned you have not been playing much recently, might I suggest looking at the Finding Players (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51) subforum? There are always a variety of Play-By-Post games recruiting for DnD and all other sorts of RPGs. Might not be your cup of tea, but it couldn't hurt to look at. :smallsmile:

Swordprince
2013-07-01, 03:40 AM
Hey, thanks for all the links Nemesis. I already noticed Kaveman had some good campaign logs, I'm looking forward to reading them. Those links are very useful, so thanks again :)

I did think about play-by-post, and I'm not sure if I should get into it or not. You see, I've already tried play-by-post several times, and got into several campaigns on the Myth-Weavers boards (perhaps you know about it, it's a site specifically for play-by-post gaming). To be specific, I've played in 4 campaigns I believe, and sadly, the DM bailed in all 4 of them. And pretty much after only a couple of months of gameplay, with the exception of one campaign that lasted 3 months or so. But as you know, play-by-post is slow, so we didn't really get far...all 4 campaigns were pretty much over before they started :(

So I'm not really sure how that would work out here on Giantitp. Out of curiosity, what's the story on play-by-post here on Giantitp? Do players/DMs usually abandon the campaign? Because in my own experience, that's what kind of happens in play-by-post, sadly. Although I do know there are reliable DMs and players, but still, those seem rare :)

Anxe
2013-07-01, 08:19 AM
That still happens in PbP here. You could try looking at Roll20's forums. I'd imagine they experience fewer leavers because you're actually talking with the people you play with.

RFLS
2013-07-01, 08:22 AM
Hey, thanks for all the links Nemesis. I already noticed Kaveman had some good campaign logs, I'm looking forward to reading them. Those links are very useful, so thanks again :)

I did think about play-by-post, and I'm not sure if I should get into it or not. You see, I've already tried play-by-post several times, and got into several campaigns on the Myth-Weavers boards (perhaps you know about it, it's a site specifically for play-by-post gaming). To be specific, I've played in 4 campaigns I believe, and sadly, the DM bailed in all 4 of them. And pretty much after only a couple of months of gameplay, with the exception of one campaign that lasted 3 months or so. But as you know, play-by-post is slow, so we didn't really get far...all 4 campaigns were pretty much over before they started :(

So I'm not really sure how that would work out here on Giantitp. Out of curiosity, what's the story on play-by-post here on Giantitp? Do players/DMs usually abandon the campaign? Because in my own experience, that's what kind of happens in play-by-post, sadly. Although I do know there are reliable DMs and players, but still, those seem rare :)

I can tell you that PbPs do tend to have a high attrition rate pretty much anywhere. That being said, there are quite a few talented and dedicated DMs on these forums, especially within the 3.5 community. There's also me, although I'm just dedicated. If you're curious what the turnout for PbPs here looks like, check the link in my sig. You could apply for that game if you're interested in giving them another go.

Swordprince
2013-07-01, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I thought as much, PbP is not the most reliable, although I do know that there are dedicated DMs and players that don't bail their respective campaigns.

And I'm quite sure you're a very good DM RFLS :)

You know, as far as PbP goes, I'm a dedicated player who definitely isn't gonna leave the game. A testament to that is the fact that I was always the last to abandon the campaign after everyone else already had. Heck, I kept checking daily for posts long after the DM bailed. Of course, I had to let the campaign go since no one was playing it, obviously.

If I ever fail to show up online and not post in a PbP game, that means that, for one reason or another, I don't have access to the internet. Either that, or you can assume I died in a car accident xD (hopefully not of course!) I'm not joking though, I consider it a responsibility not to ruin other people's games by bailing them. If you want in, you stay in, if you can't keep up, don't step up. Barring certain extraordinary circumstances, of course, as mentioned above - real life does get in the way, but let's face it, at least half the time that's just an excuse to bail a game, sadly :(

I'm not sure about PbP yet to be honest, but thanks for inviting me, I do appreciate it :) Right now, I got some stuff going on in real life, and I may not have access to the internet for some time since there's a chance I might have to be away for a while. And I wouldn't like it if I had to bail (even though it would not be on purpose) after everything I just said xD Thanks again though, I appreciate the invitation!

Dr Bwaa
2013-07-01, 03:22 PM
I feel obligated to plug my own thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224548), here. But seriously, it's good stuff.

Pros:
Lots of different campaigns!
Lots of different authors!
Lots of high-quality stuff!
Nice orderly archive full of links in the first post!

Cons:
Not very many completed campaigns :smallfrown:
Only one con :smallfrown:

Also if you're interested in PbP, feel free to send me a PM. I've got some availability in a game I'm running :smallsmile:

Swordprince
2013-07-01, 04:00 PM
I feel obligated to plug my own thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224548), here. But seriously, it's good stuff.

Pros:
Lots of different campaigns!
Lots of different authors!
Lots of high-quality stuff!
Nice orderly archive full of links in the first post!

Cons:
Not very many completed campaigns :smallfrown:
Only one con :smallfrown:

Also if you're interested in PbP, feel free to send me a PM. I've got some availability in a game I'm running :smallsmile:

Well, I was certainly right, the community here sure seems nice. I feel at home already, I must admit :) Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out. I don't mind if the campaigns are not finished, I just enjoy reading the adventures of the players, so no worries!

Tell you what, as soon as I find out whether I have to leave for a while or not (got some important stuff going on right now), I'll consider playing some PbP here, maybe even your own campaign, if I'm not too late to join (which will depend on the aforementioned stuff :P).

Thanks for your offer man, it's certainly appreciated :)

TheCountAlucard
2013-07-01, 10:18 PM
If you wanna read over an old PbP, might I suggest "God-Kings of Lotus," by The Demented One?

Swordprince
2013-07-02, 04:22 AM
Sure, I'll give it a look, definitely :) Love your avatar by the way, haha xD

TheCountAlucard
2013-07-02, 01:08 PM
Sure, I'll give it a look, definitely :) Love your avatar by the way, haha xDThanks, it's one out of a set. Check back in a few hours. :smallamused:

SiuiS
2013-07-03, 02:51 AM

Oh, goodness! I had forgotten him. He had probably one of the best Zombie campaigns ever!

There's also Meet Joe Wood, the side story of a commoner in a D&D world. Fun read, that.

I have been reading Sepulchrave's tales of wyre for some hours now, I gotta say the serious tone of the campaign is killing me, although that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great story! I would like something with some more combat in it though, but there's much stuff to read here anyway, I'm sure I'm gonna have fun reading it all.

Of the big two, Sagiro's is probably more up your alley then; much less serious in tone most of the time.

Sepulchrave's game would make an absolutely fabulous soap opera; Sagiro's is a dramatic comedy.

The trick is to have a good group. Advice I've relieved from a veteran is that you can tell how a game will go by the OOC thread's pulse at the start. If the people don't have a good dynamic, the game will fall apart. I have ... *counts* eight games right now, and the ones with people who gel well or who were dedicated friends before the game started are still going strong. The ones that were all "this sounds fun, lemme in" are much slower and there's less commitment.

Our group of close friends have a strong, "one post per person per day, dammit" rule too, which helps. You lose some people, but the ones you keep are more solid for that pace.

PbP tends to do weird with sandboxes too, I've found.

Swordprince
2013-07-03, 04:11 AM
Oh, goodness! I had forgotten him. He had probably one of the best Zombie campaigns ever!

There's also Meet Joe Wood, the side story of a commoner in a D&D world. Fun read, that.

Of the big two, Sagiro's is probably more up your alley then; much less serious in tone most of the time.

Sepulchrave's game would make an absolutely fabulous soap opera; Sagiro's is a dramatic comedy.

The trick is to have a good group. Advice I've relieved from a veteran is that you can tell how a game will go by the OOC thread's pulse at the start. If the people don't have a good dynamic, the game will fall apart. I have ... *counts* eight games right now, and the ones with people who gel well or who were dedicated friends before the game started are still going strong. The ones that were all "this sounds fun, lemme in" are much slower and there's less commitment.

Our group of close friends have a strong, "one post per person per day, dammit" rule too, which helps. You lose some people, but the ones you keep are more solid for that pace.

PbP tends to do weird with sandboxes too, I've found.

I actually read about Joe Wood. Oh yeah, that was indeed epic! I followed that story for a long time! True about Sepulch's campaign as well. I love undead campaigns to be honest, those never get old. Just you and your buddies against what feels like the whole world (or at least that's the feel you get in an undead campaign, and it usually is like that), I'd like to play a campaign like that sometime. I also thoroughly enjoyed SCS's first campaign, which was an undead campaign, and I loved reading it. The group's struggle against the undead was awesome. I think I'll give it a read one more time.

You know, I also noticed the same thing about PbP and the OOC threads. It does show people's dedication to it to an extent, and if people are getting along really great, that's just more incentive to play. It's great that you actually play something like that with your friends, then it's pretty much guaranteed it probably won't fail, and even if you take a break from the campaign, you're in touch all the time, so you can get back to it whenever you want :)

I love open world campaigns, sandboxes are not really for me. I love it when you get a lot of stuff to see and do, and explore. Simply opens up options, which is always good, plus it can assure that it never gets boring.

Brookshw
2013-07-03, 12:24 PM
EN World has a lot of great campaign logs. I'd suggest checking out their story hour section. Very fond of Shemeska's plane scape story hour personally (may have misspelled his name however). Happy reading!

BTW, the "Big One" campaign on these forums, the author has his other campaign logs linked in his Sig. They're equally fun to read!

Kol Korran
2013-07-03, 01:15 PM
A lot of the good game logs have already been mentioned. I'll add mine, in my sig- Many Facets of Darkness. It's an Eberron game, complete now, shonw from the DM's point of view, including decisions, tribulations, and so on, as well as the adventure itself.

It's main downside from what I understand is that it's quite lengthy and "wordy". (I tend to go into detail), which puts some people off. Those who read through it though seem to like it. A matter of opinion and preference I guess. My players consider this one of the most Epic campaigns they played. :smallbiggrin:

I would also suggest my other log ("It began with a crash") the first 5 sessions (Where we intended to stop originally). The follow up stopped abruptly, so it doesn't make for a good story. The log is from a player's point of view, and it's best feature is the inter party dynamics, who are far from smooth, but highly entertaining. Still wordy and lengthy though, but at least with pictures! :smallsmile:

Good luck to you!

Swordprince
2013-07-03, 02:15 PM
A lot of the good game logs have already been mentioned. I'll add mine, in my sig- Many Facets of Darkness. It's an Eberron game, complete now, shonw from the DM's point of view, including decisions, tribulations, and so on, as well as the adventure itself.

It's main downside from what I understand is that it's quite lengthy and "wordy". (I tend to go into detail), which puts some people off. Those who read through it though seem to like it. A matter of opinion and preference I guess. My players consider this one of the most Epic campaigns they played. :smallbiggrin:

I would also suggest my other log ("It began with a crash") the first 5 sessions (Where we intended to stop originally). The follow up stopped abruptly, so it doesn't make for a good story. The log is from a player's point of view, and it's best feature is the inter party dynamics, who are far from smooth, but highly entertaining. Still wordy and lengthy though, but at least with pictures! :smallsmile:

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm pretty much scanning all the campaign logs and enjoy reading them :) I don't mind "wordy" campaigns at all as long as they are interesting, it's not necessarily drawback, so no worries.

I'll check out your stuff right away, scan it a bit (got a good amount of stuff to read, I'm just eye-balling it to see what looks like it's gonna be fun to read xD).

Brookshw: I thought so, Enworld seems to have those things lying around xD Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to have a look and see if there's anything interesting.

J-H
2013-07-03, 03:15 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, but check out The Adventurers at www.peldor.com.
980 episodes, 2nd edition (more or less), and I don't know how many hundreds of thousands of words. 1st level to 2e low epic level. At some point (500 or 600 in) it stopped being a campaign log, and the author kept going by handling it more as original fiction.

Brookshw
2013-07-03, 04:06 PM
Wow, thank you! I had never heard of peldor before, but looking it over I suspect I"m in for a treat :smallbiggrin:

Kaveman26
2013-07-03, 04:38 PM
I feel a periodic twinge of sadness that I basically ran out of stuff to write. Had such a good time bringing our particular brand of gaming to the attention of others.

It looked like we were going to pick the Big One back up but we never got it off the ground.

Xefas
2013-07-03, 05:16 PM
Are we still suggesting stuff? If you like angry women who punch bandits and then have dramatic internal conflict about the morality of punching bandits, then my still ongoing campaign journal is for you (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287681).

Phoenixguard09
2013-07-04, 01:02 AM
While it's flattering having it suggested, I have to say that Three Coins probably does not fit your specifications. :smalltongue:

That out of the way, I also throw in my vote for Kaveman's Big One. I started reading it the other day and I am finding it quite enjoyable. :smallsmile:

Cheers,

Swordprince
2013-07-04, 04:25 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, but check out The Adventurers at www.peldor.com.
980 episodes, 2nd edition (more or less), and I don't know how many hundreds of thousands of words. 1st level to 2e low epic level. At some point (500 or 600 in) it stopped being a campaign log, and the author kept going by handling it more as original fiction.

Thanks to you as well, for the link. I'll be sure to check it out. I gotta say I'm getting more than I thought here, so that makes me pretty happy :)

Xefas: LOL, that sounds awesome, I'll definitely give it a look xD

Yeah, Kaveman's log does seem like a great read, I'll be sure to give it a go soon, been reading the tales of wyre, but put it on hold to check out other stuff before i resume reading :)

SiuiS
2013-07-04, 04:55 AM
EN World has a lot of great campaign logs. I'd suggest checking out their story hour section. Very fond of Shemeska's plane scape story hour personally (may have misspelled his name however). Happy reading!

Pretty certain Shemmy is a ladyfiend, not a dudefiend, if I recall her avatar's full picture which is not safe for work and why it was cropped to just the head.

Nemesis67
2013-07-05, 04:52 PM
I would also say that some of Spoony's Videos (http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/counter-monkey/) have pretty cool / funny campaigns or stories in them. However the videos are a bit NSFW, with a lot of cursing and some have rather mature things happen. And he's kinda a jerk in some instances, but he is amusing. :smallsmile:

Brookshw
2013-07-06, 06:18 PM
Pretty certain Shemmy is a ladyfiend, not a dudefiend, if I recall her avatar's full picture which is not safe for work and why it was cropped to just the head.

Fair point, the npc is female I recall, but the story hour writer is male (Todd Stewart per sig, and mentions it several times in responses to commentary). Sorry for the ambiguity. I just want to see it finished, love PlaneScape, very well written!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?77613-Shemeska-s-Planescape-Storyhour-%28Updated-21-April-2013%29

Jastermereel
2013-07-07, 01:14 PM
I ran a fairly long game with a group of friends that used a variety of single-shot pre-made freebie adventures to start with, settled into a home-brew city intrigue set of levels, and eventually Red Hand of Doom. It used to be on these forums, but between updates the thread fell into locked status and was purged off the board...so it's now on my gaming group's board here: http://sd.troolstudio.com/viewtopic.php?t=1103

There are 50 gaming sessions there, and there have been probably about 10 more since that haven't been transcribed from the notes. After those it went on hiatus (I temporarily moved) and we haven't resumed yet, which is sad as we were just about to have the last encounter of the fourth chapter of the Red Hand of Doom.

Also, if you're planning on running the Red Hand of Doom, in addition to all of the other resources out there, I have a parallel set of "director's cut" game notes about the sessions as they went that might be of some small use.

Oh, and a caveat: the writing grew increasingly lengthy. The first few sessions were a few paragraphs for a night of gaming. Later on...several pages.

Acrux
2013-07-08, 02:31 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the originals:

Piratecat's Defenders of Daybreak (http://www.piratecat.org/spira/).

It's a little bit old school, but a terrific read.

Swordprince
2013-07-08, 03:58 PM
Thanks to both of you for mentioning those, I'll definitely give them a look :) I got no problems with a lot of text as long as its interesting.

50 gaming sessions is quite a lot, so it might be interesting!

Defenders of daybreak also seems its got a lot of material. I'll give it all a look soon enough. Thanks :)

Acrux
2013-07-08, 05:26 PM
Oh man, I can't believe I forgot to include the first campaign log I ever read from Shamus Young's site: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=290

I just reread it recently and it's still as good as I remembered.

Swordprince
2013-07-09, 05:12 AM
I'll definitely give it a look. Thanks ;)