PDA

View Full Version : differences between 3.5 and pathfinder

kulosle
2013-06-29, 07:28 PM
So some friends of mine are starting a pathfinder campaign and asked if i wanted to join. I've played 3.5 for years and i know they are similar, but how similar? Like is it just the classes are slightly different and they changed a few rules? Whats the main differences i should be aware of?

Snowbluff
2013-06-29, 07:32 PM
Here you go! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284344) We've been working hard on this, I hope you like it.

If you are a longtime 3.5 player, I would suggest trying one of the new classes to mix it up. I'm playing a summoner and I am BROOOOOOKE~! :smalltongue:

The biggest changes are Skills, CMB/CMD and Feats.

kulosle
2013-06-29, 08:07 PM
So that was very helpful thank you. The only question i still have is what is CMD and CMB?

137beth
2013-06-29, 08:12 PM
So that was very helpful thank you. The only question i still have is what is CMD and CMB?

So, in 3.5, we have different mechanics and modifiers for tripping, grappling, bull rushing, etc. In pathfinder, they are all streamlined into "combat maneuvers." Most involve rolling your combat maneuver bonus (CMB) against the target's combat maneuver defense (CMD).
Most of the rules for combat maneuvers are explained here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Combat-Maneuvers).
Note: If you are using ToB classes, rename their "maneuvers" something else to reduce confusion:smalltongue:

kulosle
2013-06-29, 08:20 PM
Okay thanks, if these are all the major changes I think i should be fine. Thank you! :)

On a different note, i heard that they made it so all classes get something at every level, and got rid of dead levels. Is this something they tried to do and succeeded or mostly succeeded, if so what does fighter look like, because that link doesn't list and differences for it?

Snowbluff
2013-06-29, 10:01 PM
"Streamlined" might be the right word, but a lot of the differences between the old Trip/Grapple/Etc rules made them optimization in different ways.

Okay thanks, if these are all the major changes I think i should be fine. Thank you! :)

On a different note, i heard that they made it so all classes get something at every level, and got rid of dead levels. Is this something they tried to do and succeeded or mostly succeeded, if so what does fighter look like, because that link doesn't list and differences for it?

Dead levels don't matter in the grand scheme of things, and neither do the changes made to fill them. In my honest opinion, fighter still sucks. In general the numerical bonuses (Damage, lower ACP, and bonus to fear? What.) do anything to improve anything, and the feat chains in PF generally are worse than they are in 3.5.

To rub salt on the wound, their Favored Class bonuses suck. CMD bonus? ON a str based class with full BaB? :smallsigh:

I'd also like to point out Swordsage and Warblade need a skill to replace Concentration. :smallyuk:

Mergy
2013-06-29, 11:08 PM
Information on all Pathfinder core material can be found on their website here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/).

The fighter is still not as good as the wizard at really high levels, but it is an improvement. You actually have a reason to take more than two levels now, and that goes for every class. As long as you don't multiclass, expect some new advancement or ability (or at least feat) every level. Characters now get a feat every odd level, and that does quite a bit to remove dead levels as well.