PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's Prophecy {Unmarked OtOoPCs Spoilers!}

Xenrei
2013-06-29, 07:32 PM
(Forgive me if this kind of thread exists already, and I am sure that I'm not the only one who has thought of this)

I have some thoughts on Durkon's prophecy that I have been wanting to share for quite a while, but I never got around to it. Here goes...

In this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html), Durkon asks the Oracle:

:durkon: "How will I finally be returnin' ta me beloved dwarven homelands?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/redxiv/oracle.gif "Posthumously."
This means that Durkon will return home after he dies. Since Durkon is a vampire now, that he is technically dead. So he could return home as a vampire, and still fulfill his prophecy, right?

(This is where the spoilers come in, so if you haven't read OtOoPCs yet, stop reading! Unless you simply don't care.)

Furthermore, in On the Origin of PCs, Durkon is banished from the Dwarven Homelands because when he returns home next, he will bring Death and Destruction. To the ears of the High Priest, that seems pretty scary and rather disturbing, so naturally he will act rashly and banish Durkon instead of, say, explaining it to him, or preventing him from leaving ever again. Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. Moving on...

Malack was the one who vamp'd Durkon (As I hope you know).

Malack worships Nergal, the god of Death and Destruction.

Death and Destruction.

In the prophecy, it said he will bring Death and Destruction. That could really represent Malack. It is quite possible that Darth Durkon and Malack will visit the Dwarven Homelands at some point. Now, whether or not they will bring literal death and destruction is yet to be seen, however, I just thought this was an interesting theory I came up with (again, I doubt I am the first! :smallbiggrin:) What do you guys think? Anything else to add?

TRH
2013-06-29, 07:36 PM
All I know is that it would be really lame if the Death and Destruction mentioned in the prophecy was purely metaphorical (or metaphysical, as it were). Would be the worst copout in the history of copouts, no doubt about it. Oh, and none of this is exactly new speculation, btw.

Demolator
2013-06-29, 07:44 PM
I think there'd be a whole lot of death and destruction if they ran into Hilgya while they were there. If you ask me, that'd bring about tons of it. Poor thing's probably furious at him for telling her to go back to her terrible husband.

I'm not exactly sure if the Oracle meant Malack, since worshipping a God of Death and Destruction doesn't really make him Death and Destruction itself.

Xenrei
2013-06-29, 07:45 PM
All I know is that it would be really lame if the Death and Destruction mentioned in the prophecy was purely metaphorical (or metaphysical, as it were). Would be the worst copout in the history of copouts, no doubt about it.
Yeah, it would be pretty lame I guess. I just thought it was an interesting idea, and I had the urge to share it.

Oh, and none of this is exactly new speculation, btw.
Hence the "that I have wanted to share for a while, but never got around to it" part at the top.

Gift Jeraff
2013-06-29, 08:27 PM
What if "death and destruction for us all" means "for us all to dish out"? As in, the dwarves will try to destroy Durkon and kill the people he's with.

Demolator
2013-06-29, 08:37 PM
What if "death and destruction for us all" means "for us all to dish out"? As in, the dwarves will try to destroy Durkon and kill the people he's with.

Should he return there, wouldn't that be the natural response anyway? Hey wait, maybe that's what'll happen and they'll get whooped by Durkon and friends thinking they've turned on him! Omagawd! This guy knows his stuff, I'm goin' with this guy now.

DeadMG
2013-06-29, 08:47 PM
Maybe Odin was just wrong.

WindStruck
2013-06-29, 09:23 PM
All I know is that it would be really lame if the Death and Destruction mentioned in the prophecy was purely metaphorical (or metaphysical, as it were). Would be the worst copout in the history of copouts, no doubt about it. Oh, and none of this is exactly new speculation, btw.

Well, IMO, that would simply be par for the course whenever it comes to "prophecies". Oh, and looky there, so is the concept of trying to get rid of somebody in order to prevent the prophecy from happening, only for that action to cause events to unfold to make it happen.

Bulldog Psion
2013-06-29, 10:22 PM
Maybe Odin was just wrong.

That seems highly unlikely to me at least, considering Nergal's portfolio.

martianmister
2013-06-30, 04:28 AM
Maybe Odin was stupid. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html)

goldendragon
2013-06-30, 09:45 AM
Maybe Odin was stupid. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html)

Hey, I'm from the Puppet's protection society, and if you are referring to liking puppets as a mark of stupidity, then I have to say I disapprove. Puppets are very clever! (when they're animated)

Newwby
2013-06-30, 12:59 PM
Well, IMO, that would simply be par for the course whenever it comes to "prophecies". Oh, and looky there, so is the concept of trying to get rid of somebody in order to prevent the prophecy from happening, only for that action to cause events to unfold to make it happen.

It really would. Hopefully the prophecies of the high priest aren't as twisted as the oracles.

Perhaps Durkon will still be fully under Malack's control when he heads north (Malack having had no chance to release him peacefully) and the dwarves will take as well to a vampire as Durkon did himself. Cue mass slaughter (assuming Durkon is a notably powerful example of a dwarf).

(Perhaps the high priest will be able to provide a resurrection though?)

factotum
2013-06-30, 04:00 PM
It really would. Hopefully the prophecies of the high priest aren't as twisted as the oracles.

In what way are the Oracle's prophecies twisted? They've been pretty straightforward up until now, and the only one where you could reasonably argue that the making of the prophecy contributed to its coming true was Belkar's (since the idea to kill the Oracle at least partially came from the prophecy, although the murderous little swine would probably have done it anyway at some point).

denthor
2013-06-30, 04:18 PM
Xenrei
Malack was the one who vamp'd Durkon (As I hope you know).

Malack worships Nergal, the god of Death and Destruction.

Death and Destruction.

In my opinion good catch. I think this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html) also bolsters your point...

Please note the panel just past our favorite lich to be taking down the upstart would be emporer of the world Tarquin.

Durkon there says Yes but nobody worships Hel. Durkon may become the high priest of her.

Silverionmox
2013-07-01, 08:03 AM
There's no indication for any particular link between Durkon and Hel, and yet people keep coming up with it.

factotum
2013-07-01, 10:20 AM
There's no indication for any particular link between Durkon and Hel, and yet people keep coming up with it.

Probably because she's the only one of the Norse gods who would probably be happy to have a vampire worshipping her?

denthor
2013-07-01, 10:29 AM

I do not have time at this moment to look for one panel of V saying if it for the family I guess...

V then goes on and makes the deal of the lifetime to save the children. One panel one comment that almost everybody over looked. Including me.

We have seen Hel several times within the comic. Rich drops hints in small places the belt of gender changing comes up big. I thought it was a one off gag.

The first foreshadowing when the goat turns red shoots true.

But your right there has been no neon sign "the adventures are here" Yet.

Durkon can not be a priest of Thor any longer conflict of world view. Nergal or who ever his now master whorships. Maybe? It mean Durkon plays second fiddle for the rest of his unnatural life. Please re read the comic I linked to the panel I talk about is not a one of joke but a statement of fact.

All the gods need a cleric. According to Durkon she does not have any.