PDA

View Full Version : Simple D&D?

Sparkzlight
2013-06-29, 07:40 PM
I remember a while ago I found an interesting bit of info in a book about simplified D&D. It presented 3 base classes: the Warrior, Caster, and Expert. It all was based around what skills you chose... The Warrior could basically be a rogue, the Caster could either be a Cleric or a Wizard...

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

CRtwenty
2013-06-29, 07:45 PM
They're the "Generic Classes" and are detailed on page 76 of Unearthed Arcana.

They're designed to basically allow you to design your own class. Each class picks its own class skills and gets regular access to bonus feats (which can be exchanged for class abilities like Sneak Attack, Turn Undead, etc.) They also choose one save as a good save, with the other two being bad saves.

The Expert gets the most class skills, and has the second highest amount of bonus feats and BaB. The Warrior gets the most Bonus Feats and highest BaB but has the lowest amount of class skills. The Spellcaster has the least bonus feats and the worst BaB but gains spontaneous spellcasting from the Cleric, Druid, and Wizard/Sorceror spell lists, the Spellcaster decides to be Divine or Arcane at character creation which determines scroll usage as well as the Spellcasters primary casting stat. (INT or CHA for Arcane, WIS for Divine). Note that the Spellcaster's choice doesn't determine spells available. An Arcane Spellcaster could learn Cure spells and a Divine Spellcaster could cast Fireball for example.

Sparkzlight
2013-06-29, 07:59 PM
They're the "Generic Classes" and are detailed on page 76 of Unearthed Arcana.

They're designed to basically allow you to design your own class. Each class picks its own class skills and gets regular access to bonus feats (which can be exchanged for class abilities like Sneak Attack, Turn Undead, etc.) They also choose one save as a good save, with the other two being bad saves.

The Expert gets the most class skills, and has the second highest amount of bonus feats and BaB. The Warrior gets the most Bonus Feats and highest BaB but has the lowest amount of class skills. The Spellcaster has the least bonus feats and the worst BaB but gains spontaneous spellcasting from the Cleric, Druid, and Wizard/Sorceror spell lists, the Spellcaster decides to be Divine or Arcane at character creation which determines scroll usage as well as the Spellcasters primary casting stat. (INT or CHA for Arcane, WIS for Divine). Note that the Spellcaster's choice doesn't determine spells available. An Arcane Spellcaster could learn Cure spells and a Divine Spellcaster could cast Fireball for example.
I suspected it was Unearthed Arcana. Shame I lost that book. :P

Thanks! I was just curious.

DeltaEmil
2013-06-29, 08:03 PM
You can find the Generic Classes here on the d20-srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm).

Don't confuse the Generic Warrior and Expert with the NPC classes Warrior and Expert (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/classes.htm).

Jeraa
2013-06-29, 08:04 PM
I suspected it was Unearthed Arcana. Shame I lost that book. :P

Thanks! I was just curious.

Then its a good thing that the entirety of that book is Open Content (with the exception of a few of the bloodlines), and can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/), under Variant Rules. The only part that is missing is the section on Level-Indpendant XP Rewards, but thats still Open Content.