PDA

View Full Version : Help Magic up my Jade Phoenix Mage

Keldrin
2013-06-29, 08:51 PM
My Wiz4/SS2/JPM8 is nearing 15th level, and even with martial strikes, my +1 guisarme is starting to lack. My group is ploughing through the Savage Tides AP and pesky outsiders with various DR s are showing up more and more.

I've been thinking a new polearm that can slash and stab (unarmed strike for the blunt), perhaps an exotic material, with Binding and Transmuting, with Fiendslayer and Trudeath crystals perhaps. I like the Hideaway add on (folding polearm) or a variation of the Changeling enhancemet (short/longspear morph) for fun, and because always lugging a long stick, uhh, sticks out. ;)

Any thoughts would be great, plus anything else to survive having pissed off a Demon Prince.

Waker
2013-06-29, 08:59 PM
Hmm, well I'm only vaguely familiar with that adventure module, but I can make a few suggestions.
Metalline- Treat the weapon as being Cold Iron, Silver or Adamantine for the purposes of overcoming DR. Handy when you face a mix of enemies with a metallic-based DR.
Bane- Choose Outsider (Evil). Now your +1 weapon is a +3 Weapon that also deals an extra +2d6 damage whenever you fight an Outsider with the Evil subtype. Not bad for a +1 enhancement.

As for your weapon, a Halberd can pierce or stab and even deal blunt damage if you take a feat. Sadly it lacks reach, but can still be set against a charge.

Keldrin
2013-06-29, 09:02 PM
Addendum, my DM is flexible about enchanting an amulet of mighty fists/natural attacks, at the same price rate of regular weapons ( i think), so i'm pretty sure i'll put Warning on that. My initiative isn't bad, but i've also been toying with putting a wand chamber on the polearm with Nerveskitter, just to irritate another PC. Well secondarily pissing him off :) it's a friendly rivalry.

Keldrin
2013-06-29, 09:07 PM
Thanks Waker, I have used Metaline in the past, but thought Transmuting might be better this time, as it overcomes all DR not just the materials. Bane is a possibility but I think I want more general magic, Binding is pretty darn specific as it is.

Waker
2013-06-29, 09:15 PM
Transmuter is more powerful, I mentioned Metalline since it is a cheaper enhancement. Morphing is a rather handy enhancement, since it would allow you to change your guisarme into any other 2h weapon. Sacred is a bit less specific than Bane, though somewhat less powerful.

Keldrin
2013-06-29, 09:27 PM
They are both +2 in MiC, and I liked not having to good align,although my character is. I should tell my buddy as his is definitely NOT. hmm...

Waker
2013-06-29, 09:38 PM
They are both +2 in MiC, and I liked not having to good align,although my character is. I should tell my buddy as his is definitely NOT. hmm...

Bleh, I misremembered that. Although re-reading the Metalline description, it would allow you to turn your weapon into adamantine to smash objects if you were so inclined.

Keldrin
2013-06-29, 09:48 PM
That's what Mountain Hammer Strike is good for, with the limit it has to be on the ground, it has been a boon for most of his career. :)