PDA

View Full Version : Force Points (Saga Edition)

Grod_The_Giant
2013-06-29, 09:41 PM
I just was given the core rulebook for SWSE, and I've started reading. It looks like an amazing system-- 4e as it should have been-- but... is it just me, or are Force points way too uncommon for everything that they do? My experience with other benny-using systems is that players tend to hoard such things even when they renew every session-- particularly when (as here) they help you stay alive. I can only imagine how much worse it is when you only get a handful per level.

Mando Knight
2013-06-29, 11:08 PM
Unless you're a Jedi (or Sith), you're not supposed to use Force Points willy-nilly. You don't get many, but you do get enough that when you need one, you should generally be able to use one. You shouldn't need to use them all that frequently, and they exist primarily as a safety net.

Unless you're a Force user, in which case if Force Point Recovery isn't your first Technique, you should be hit on the head with the core book. Even with the update to it preventing you from taking it multiple times, it essentially gives you one free Force Point every encounter. Force Boon is also useful for Force users, since it grants more Force Points (and on top of that, the Master-level Force user PrCs grant the highest base amount of Force Points...).

Waar
2013-06-30, 04:18 AM
You get between 5 and 20 force points per level, and besides you can (remember that destiny point are optional) already have destiny points for hoarding, leaving the spending to force Points.

@Mando Knight: There are other good force techniques too you know... (granted most of these are not in the core, Improved dark rage and Improved cloak I'm looking at you :smalltongue:)

Mando Knight
2013-06-30, 08:41 AM
@Mando Knight: There are other good force techniques too you know... (granted most of these are not in the core, Improved dark rage and Improved cloak I'm looking at you :smalltongue:)
In my opinion, they don't fully compare to getting a free Force Point every encounter, and they tend to work better if you have that free Force Point. Later Force Techniques were designed to try to keep up with Force Point Recovery, but FPR still generally makes them better. (Such as Improved Dark Rage: with FPR, you can activate Dark Rage and then keep it up for the entire encounter without spending any non-renewable resources.)

Alejandro
2013-06-30, 10:53 AM
I have to second Mando Knight, being able to recover used Force points has far reaching and powerful effects. Probably one of the best Force talents. A Jedi in my group has it, and uses it every encounter along with the DR granting Force talent. It's saved him and the group immense totals of damage/healing, and that leaves out all the other applications.

Also, as the GM, I sometimes award a Force Point to a player for excellent play or ideas.

The_Snark
2013-06-30, 05:06 PM
Speaking as the kind of player who hoards Force points and such things, I sympathize with your worries; I almost never take any Talents or abilities that require Force point use, unless my character has Force Point Recovery. Since you have to be level 9 at minimum to get that, it often means skipping out on that kind of ability entirely.

If you don't like the limited resources/level dynamic, there's an alternate rule in one of the books which presents a Force points/day option. Can't recall the details off the top of my head, but I believe you get 1 Force point per day at levels 1-5, 2 per day at levels 6-10, and so on. Typically, you don't have as many Force points available under this system (no spending 5 Force points to carry you through the climactic battle), but you don't have to worry about saving them quite as much.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-06-30, 05:26 PM
Speaking as the kind of player who hoards Force points and such things, I sympathize with your worries; I almost never take any Talents or abilities that require Force point use, unless my character has Force Point Recovery. Since you have to be level 9 at minimum to get that, it often means skipping out on that kind of ability entirely.

If you don't like the limited resources/level dynamic, there's an alternate rule in one of the books which presents a Force points/day option. Can't recall the details off the top of my head, but I believe you get 1 Force point per day at levels 1-5, 2 per day at levels 6-10, and so on. Typically, you don't have as many Force points available under this system (no spending 5 Force points to carry you through the climactic battle), but you don't have to worry about saving them quite as much.
I was thinking about a points/session thing... like, 1+1/3 or 1/5 level or something. Anything that requires a permanent expenditure (I think I saw one or two things) would be 1/level instead.

Beleriphon
2013-06-30, 08:55 PM
On the Force point front I'd suggest one thing if you plan on encouraging players to use them more; let them spend a force point for a one time use of any Dark Side power. This makes the Dark Side much more tempting but you get one point dark side score increase in addition to the usual dark side score effects.

Ailowynn
2013-07-07, 12:35 AM
Force Points are never really an issue, at least in my group. Occasionally, they'll roll low on a skill check and I as the GM will say, "Do you want to spend a Force Point:smallwink:?" Otherwise, they won't use any unless they're bleeding out or using Force Techniques.

The real problem is Destiny Points. You have to encourage the use of them, or all the PCs will save until the boss fight and then crit him into oblivion.

Alejandro
2013-07-07, 05:41 PM
Just last week, I had a pretty cool Destiny Point use. The gunslinger player (dual wield pistols) rolled two natural 20s for both of his pistol attacks on a single target (a tough bounty hunter) and gunned him the frack down with massive damage. On his next turn, he cashed in his Destiny Point to buy a 3rd critical hit on another bounty hunter, seriously injuring him. The enemies decided 'the hell with this, this guy's a monster' and retreated.

Now he's going to have a positive reputation as a gunslinger. :)