PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted late game thoughts.

S_Grey
2013-06-29, 10:02 PM
So I've got this character in a game that my friends and I are playing (original as hell, right?) and I'm conflicted as to what to do with my character.

I've got this monk7/ninja11, hot as hell, elf who just got away from her oppressive master who controlled every facet of her life and who used her as a (very effective) tool for the majority of her life.

All soul-searching aside, I now need to figure out whether I want to give her more AC or more damage. What I'm looking at now is roughly:

30 AC and 5 attacks at +22/+22/+22/+17/+12 (1d10+7d6+37 13-20x2) or 39 AC and 4 attacks at +23/+23/+18/+13 (1d10+7d6+33 13-20x2); level 18 (monk7/ninja11).

We're playing a mid-OP-ish game, so she's going to be able to do enough damage to effectively kill a whole bunch of things in a single round either way, but I just can't seem to decide on what to do.

What do you think? She's already got the ability to become ethereal, which makes AC partially irrelevant, but she does enough damage too. I'd love some input, but if you're not interested, I'm sure my post will die fast enough.

Waker
2013-06-29, 10:08 PM
30 AC and 5 attacks at +22/+22/+22/+17/+12 (1d10+7d6+37 13-20x2) or 39 AC and 4 attacks at +23/+23/+18/+13 (1d10+7d6+33 13-20x2); level 18 (monk7/ninja11).
What are you using that crits on a 13-20?

Anyways, I would suggest focusing more on offense than defense. Knocking down the enemies before they can do the same to you just generally the better option.

Nettlekid
2013-06-29, 10:12 PM
Second on both counts. I want to know what weapon a Monk/Ninja of all things is using that gets a 13-20 crit range. I think I've only ever heard of Disciple of Dispater getting that.

Also, you know that Monk and Ninja Wis to AC don't stack, right? You only get it once. I think it says so in the Ninja description.

But yeah, offense over defense. At higher levels you get to the point where monsters easily have like +25, +30 to hit, so a few points of AC doesn't tip the scales. Attack bonuses are easier to get than AC, so expect to be hit, but in turn, try to hit as much as you can.

S_Grey
2013-06-29, 10:13 PM
DM came up with some homebrew weapon material made from a golem that fell from the sky (not adamantine, clearly) that adds a static +4 to threat range after keen or imp crit.

I had to call in a favor, find someone that could work it, blow like 50k gold, and find an artifact fire-orb, that was used to create a lesser plane of fire, to power a magical forge, just to get my hands on it.

S_Grey
2013-06-29, 10:18 PM
Also, you know that Monk and Ninja Wis to AC don't stack, right? You only get it once. I think it says so in the Ninja description.

Yeah, I know that, and it does say it right there, you are correct.

But yeah, offense over defense. At higher levels you get to the point where monsters easily have like +25, +30 to hit, so a few points of AC doesn't tip the scales. Attack bonuses are easier to get than AC, so expect to be hit, but in turn, try to hit as much as you can.

One of my main concerns is actually against other built characters(My lil girl didn't exactly make a whole lot of friends while she was doing the robotic "Yes Sir" for her master), which is why I thought the AC would be a worthwhile boost.

Nettlekid
2013-06-29, 10:49 PM
Even for built characters, attack rolls are easier to boost than AC. Just look at the X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) table for all the things that add to AC, versus all the things that add to To Hit. It's so easy to accumulate little +1s and +2s here and there for attack rolls (higher ground, striking while invisible/blinking, flanking) and it's not nearly that easy to get equivalent +1s and +2s for AC. This is especially true at high levels like yours, where martial builds have been getting 1 BAB every level, but you haven't been getting 1 AC every level. And that's not even getting into stuff like touch attacks and Save or Dies, which AC isn't going to help you with (but attack rolls will, if you pummel them first).