PDA

View Full Version : 3.P The Gardener

Spuddles
2013-06-29, 10:58 PM
Arcane Hierophant with Plant Domain (Growth), traded wildshape for some monk/ranger abilities (as per unearthed arcana), old man, carries a pet plant around (a 100% normal sapling), and masterwork gardening tools.

Any suggestions/ideas of how to flesh the character out with items, roleplay gimmicks, spells, etc?

Novawurmson
2013-06-29, 11:11 PM
Ever read any Terry Pratchet? He's got a recurring gardener-like sage.

Waker
2013-06-29, 11:14 PM
Even if most people don't use it, you could take a look at Dragon #357, which details having a Plant Companion in place of an Animal. Rather than choosing an existing Plant creature, you actually choose what traits it has as it levels up, somewhat like a Summoner's Eidolon.

Spuddles
2013-06-29, 11:32 PM
Ever read any Terry Pratchet?

Nope.

Even if most people don't use it, you could take a look at Dragon #357, which details having a Plant Companion in place of an Animal. Rather than choosing an existing Plant creature, you actually choose what traits it has as it levels up, somewhat like a Summoner's Eidolon.

Interesting, but I took the plant domain instead of getting an AC. I'll look into it, though.

Novawurmson
2013-06-29, 11:48 PM
Well, on the roleplay side, I would play the character mysterious (occasionally feigning age and senility). A few role-play ideas.

Give everyone you meet a plant of some kind (a flower, leaf, twig).
Speak in riddles and meandering stoies. These Zen Koans (http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/) should get you started.
Similarly, use gardening expressions frequently. You're not "going to go kill some gnolls," you're "pruning a diseased branch."
As stated before, feign senility, especially around strangers and enemies (max Bluff would be a good idea). Walk with a cane (even if you don't need one), pretend to not hear someone, go up to restricted area and insist on planting some begonias, occasionally give a riddle with absolutely no relevance to the present situation.

Waker
2013-06-29, 11:55 PM
You might like the Wedded to History feat from Dragon #354. It effectively makes you an ageless character and grants some other effect based on which background you choose. Your Gardener isn't old, he's old.

Spuddles
2013-06-30, 12:04 AM
Really digging these ideas, so far.