PDA

View Full Version : Lich Lv21

Elycium
2013-06-29, 11:19 PM
Hi everybody!

This is something new that I haven’t tried till now. I do have some idea of how to do it, but I would like to hear the advice from someone who knows better than me.

How would you build a Sorcerer Lich Lv21 specialized on Necromancy?

Of feats, I was thinking something like this (not necessary in that order):

1) Spell focus (necromancy)
2) Greater spell focus (necromancy)
3) Silent Spell
4) Quicken Spell
5) Unholy toughness
6) Maximize Spell
7) Improved metamagic

Nettlekid
2013-06-29, 11:35 PM
If you want a Sorcerer based in Necromancy, you might like the Dread Necromancer. It gets most of the Sorc/Wiz's best Necromancy spells, and an Expanded Learning feature which allows you to cherry-pick Necromancy spells from other lists such as the few Sorc/Wiz spells you wanted and didn't get, or some Cleric only Necromancy spells, etc. Not only that, but being designed around Necromancy, their class features augment Necromancy in ways that a Sorcerer's spells could not. For example, they get Rebuke Undead, and extra HD of Undead commanded by means of Rebuke or other control. You get some flavorful negative energy abilities which are actually quite helpful in healing your Undead horde, and the capstone at level 20 turns you into a Lich without needing to pay the XP or Gold required for your Phylactery. Most of the time you'd probably prefer to PrC out into a better class, which means you won't get the auto-Lich transformation, but if you like the simplicity of it then Dread Necromancer works well.

A lot of people here will say something like "Just be a Necropolitan and flavor yourself as a Lich" but I know that's not as cool, if you want the real fluff and flavor of the Lich and his Phylactery. Go for broke.

Alternatively, there is the Dry Lich from Sandstorm. The Walker in the Waste Prestige Class is made to be entered by a Divine class, loses two levels of casting, and ends with you becoming a Dry Lich. It's like a regular Lich, but gets a few different abilities (like a Desiccating Touch) and most famously has five Canopic Jars with your organs inside, which function as your Phylactery. You have five Phylacteries. That's pretty nice, right? To be a strong Necromancer you could either start with some Cleric, then go into Master of Shrouds, and then Walker in the Waste. Or maybe Dread Necromancer for a few levels, then Ur-Priest, then Walker in the Waste. If you felt like going a Divine route, which you probably don't. Arcane's cooler than Divine anyway.

Elycium
2013-06-29, 11:58 PM
If you want a Sorcerer based in Necromancy, you might like the Dread Necromancer. It gets most of the Sorc/Wiz's best Necromancy spells, and an Expanded Learning feature which allows you to cherry-pick Necromancy spells from other lists such as the few Sorc/Wiz spells you wanted and didn't get, or some Cleric only Necromancy spells, etc. Not only that, but being designed around Necromancy, their class features augment Necromancy in ways that a Sorcerer's spells could not. For example, they get Rebuke Undead, and extra HD of Undead commanded by means of Rebuke or other control. You get some flavorful negative energy abilities which are actually quite helpful in healing your Undead horde, and the capstone at level 20 turns you into a Lich without needing to pay the XP or Gold required for your Phylactery. Most of the time you'd probably prefer to PrC out into a better class, which means you won't get the auto-Lich transformation, but if you like the simplicity of it then Dread Necromancer works well.

Hmm, that part sounded pretty well!

Will research more of it.

Ok, I did some reasearch and I think that the second option is the best.

What do you think of this?

5 lvs of Dread necromancer, 6 Lvs of Ur-priest and 10 Lvs of Walker in the waste.

Zanos
2013-06-30, 02:39 AM
The typical time to PRC out of DN is 8th level, because you pick up the Undead Mastery class feature which is generally the most attractive feature of a DN, especially if you're into controlling undead. DN's also become liches as their level 20 capstone. The book doesn't specify, but you can probably get your DM to give you a pass on the LA because the lich template isn't exactly great for +4 LA.

If you want to finish out with walker in the wastes, straight clerics do make good necromancers if you pick your domains right.

What are you looking at with necromancy? Debuffs? Minions?

Yora
2013-06-30, 05:57 AM
Is it going to be a 21st level sorcerer who is also a lich, or an ECL 21 character who is a sorcerer 17 and a lich?

Dread Necromancer only qualifies for Urpriest at 9th level.

Elycium
2013-06-30, 10:31 AM
If you want to finish out with walker in the wastes, straight clerics do make good necromancers if you pick your domains right.

Well, pretty much you need to have the Thirst domain to be Walker of the waste.

Is it going to be a 21st level sorcerer who is also a lich, or an ECL 21 character who is a sorcerer 17 and a lich?

The idea was the first one.

Dread Necromancer only qualifies for Urpriest at 9th level.

Yeah, I know xD

I guess that writing a post at such hour didn´t help me a lot. But anyway, thanks for saying it.

Samalpetey
2013-06-30, 10:31 AM
The typical time to PRC out of DN is 8th level, because you pick up the Undead Mastery class feature which is generally the most attractive feature of a DN, especially if you're into controlling undead. DN's also become liches as their level 20 capstone. The book doesn't specify, but you can probably get your DM to give you a pass on the LA because the lich template isn't exactly great for +4 LA.

To note, the Undead Mastery class feature is based off class levels, not character levels, and stops you advancing the amount of undead you can control, so carrying on with DN is advisable for minionmancy