PDA

View Full Version : Taking power from a demon that tried to possess you?

Rossebay
2013-06-30, 12:04 AM
It hasn't happened yet, but it's an interesting idea.

Say a demon tries to possess my NE cleric. He lets it into him; Can he take power from it? Can he force the demon to stay inside of him, or in any way force a will save on the creature to make it empower him?

I know there's the whole 'ally' or 'enemy' thing going on, or even the 'transformer' option (all listed in Fiendish Codex), but is there a way to draw power from a demon that is inside you, but cannot control you?

Waker
2013-06-30, 12:26 AM
Officially I can't think of anything like that. You might see about homebrewing a variant of the Sorcerers Divine Companion or the Rangers Spiritual Guide. Granting a bonus to some skills or letting you burn spells or rebuke undead checks to do something spooky could work.

Nettlekid
2013-06-30, 12:44 AM
The feat Wrest Possession from Faiths of Eberron can do almost exactly that, except instead of letting the fiend possess you you have to make the save three times in a row. It's the closest thing I can find to being like what you described.

Rossebay
2013-06-30, 12:50 AM
Oohoho.

Wrest possession is definitely cool, but it's so short-lived! I can see that it'd be useful, but it's a pretty weak feat for something so niche.

Edit: However, thank you. It's exactly what I asked for.

Anything else anyone knows about?

Crake
2013-06-30, 12:54 AM
Having had characters possessed in games before, I'll let you know, there's nothing smart about letting an evil outsider in your body, whether you think you can control it or not.

Rossebay
2013-06-30, 01:01 AM
What makes you say that?

Nettlekid
2013-06-30, 01:10 AM
Because the whole point of demons and devils and fiends is that the more you interact with them, the higher the percent chance that you end up in a bad place. Quite literally, post-death, but euphemistically too. Dealing with fiends is like playing on a roulette wheel. You might lose a little but nothing too bad, you might win some and even pull ahead at times. But the odds are always against you, even if just by a little bit, and eventually you'll get very unlucky. And it only takes the one bad spin for everything to go south on the roulette wheel. The roulette wheel in this case being the Great Wheel.

Waker
2013-06-30, 01:11 AM
An odd thought, but you could probably establish a contract with an outsider to possess you and get access to his powers with Planar Binding. It would last a decent amount of time.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-30, 03:40 AM
I've given this some thought in the past.

First and foremost never try this with a demon. Even once you've got 'em where you want 'em you can't trust them to work with you, period. Calling and contracting a devil via planar binding/ally isn't a good idea in the long-term but it's infinitely better than trying to work with a demon or some random would-be possessor.

Then you have to have a way to keep the little blighter inside you when things look like they're gonna go south. The spell imprison possessor from BoVD works nicely and is naturally a permanent spell.

Next up is a reliable way of protecting yourself from having him usurp your body. Contingency with protection from evil set to activate if the possessing fiend attempts to take control works but it eats up your contingency if the DM doesn't allow crafted contingent spells. A high-risk alternative is to allow a transformer possession to transform you 3/4ths of the way, then cast impotent possessor, also BoVD, to lock those changes in and prevent the final shift. Be aware that he'll be eagerly awaiting the first successful dispel to remove the effect so he can force that last save immediately.

For an -extreme- situation you could learn the soulbond spell from secrets of sarlona. When cast it cedes control to the possessing creature but also allows it to use all of its supernatural and spell-like abilities while still inside you. Duration is an unusual 1d6 rounds and if you're killed the possessor dies with you. Works nicely as a panic button alongside impotent possessor to insure that the creature -only- gets 1d6 rounds of control when you give it to him.

Fair warning: ultimately this will almost certainly end with your character damned, dead, or both.

Uncle Pine
2013-06-30, 04:14 AM
Fiend of Possession is a PrC from the Fiend Folio for evil outsiders that let them possess creatures and objects. I don't have the book at hand, but I'm pretty sure the fiend of possession can bestow abilities bonuses to the possessed creature.

ShurikVch
2013-07-01, 11:40 PM
Fiend is Fiend of Blasphemy.
Your PC is cultist.
Transfer Spell-Like Ability (Sp)

Alternatively, Ur-priest 10