PDA

View Full Version : d20 modern aliens

blelliot
2013-06-30, 12:47 AM
I've been picking and choosing alien races for my d20 modern game and this is what I've come up with so far:
Illithids: they are religous zealots, worshipping their god Thoon. They seek to "convert" a;; other races in the universe to their ilk.
Githyanki: this race is warlike, and violent. They seek to conquer in the name of their queen, vlakkith.
Formians: while not as warlike as the githyanki, they still seek to conquer and enslave the entire universe for their queen. They see the universe as a child who doesn't know better, so it must be conquered for its own good.
Saurians (lizardfolk): they live on their homeworld, worshipping their "gods" who are actually dragons. Usually are too busy warring with their subterrainean cousins the troglodytes to worry about other planets.
Slaad: the self proclaimed "chaos of the universe". All they do is screw with everyone else. Sometimes playfully, sometimes not so much.
That's what I've got so far, I would love some feedback on what races you think have been left out, and any other thoughts. Thanks!

Grinner
2013-06-30, 01:02 AM
Illithids: they are religous zealots, worshipping their god Thoon. They seek to "convert" a;; other races in the universe to their ilk.

Why didn't I think of that!

Really, the Mind Flayers of Thoon fit the Lovecraftian invader theme so well.

That's what I've got so far, I would love some feedback on what races you think have been left out, and any other thoughts. Thanks!

I've always liked the Kaorti. The Fiend Folio(?) describes them as invaders from the Far Realms, formerly being elves trapped there from a gating experiment gone wrong. Reality is actually anathema to them, so outside of their hives, they wear these freaky suits made from their slime. They also do genetic experiments.

If you're willing to throw some money at this, I think picking up the Lords of Madness sourcebook would be well worth it too. It details a bunch of aberrations and gives information on playing a human-aberration hybrid. That might go a bit far in the direction of Lovecraft though, if you were looking for more traditional alien plots.

blelliot
2013-06-30, 01:07 AM
I've thought of using the kaorti. They look and sound nasty as hell. Also the kythons sound like a good idea to use as aliens in a "Alien" vein of style.

blelliot
2013-06-30, 01:37 AM
Also a kuo toa race that are slaves of aboleths. That might be a cool idea too.

Gildedragon
2013-06-30, 02:46 PM
In a campaign I am playing the Kytons have gone all Geiger on us. It's freaky as baator.
Though their flesh-grafting inclinations are more "hellraiser" than anything.

Pseudonatural humans as infiltrators, the advance force for the chaos beyond the spheres.

I forget their name, th- something they are LoM. They wear people as costumes, eating them from the inside.

Undead as being generated by an extraterrestrial vital force. Alien radiation has reanimated the dead. Or incorporeal aliens have taken corpses as vehicles by which to interact with the world.

T.G. Oskar
2013-06-30, 03:06 PM
I forget their name, th- something they are LoM. They wear people as costumes, eating them from the inside.

Tsochari. They seek arcane mages as they can retain knowledge of their spells, but they make for a pretty nasty "Body Snatchers" kind of thing.

I'd also include another brutal twist: how about making the Obyrith a kind of alien? Essentially, the Obyrith are to the Tanar'ri what the "little green men" are to humanity: alien (duh!), mysterious, and a potential menace. The key would be how the Obyrith developed their civilization on the Material (or is it Ethereal?) Plane, and are currently seeking to overthrow the Tanar'ri for control of the Abyss. Basically, it plays on the idea of ancestors as aliens (ancient astronauts, anyone?), the unknown as a menace (which would also include the fey), and essentially a race that's a menace to a race that's already a menace to the Multiverse (so: if the Tanar'ri are a menace to the Material Plane, what would happen if the Obyrith crushed them, as the Tanar'ri might be even afraid of them?)

Oh, that also reminds me of the Ethergaunts. They're bizarre enough, and while they don't come from another world per se, they're part of the Ethereal Plane.

inuyasha
2013-06-30, 03:48 PM
what about githzerai and modrons :( I like them alot, and I could see them fitting in quite well (i'll leave the fluff to you though, since its your game)

blelliot
2013-06-30, 04:34 PM
Well what I've got so far:
A watery world home to aboleths, kuo toa, sahuagin, locathah, tritons, and kopru
A reptilian world home to lizardfolk (all types), khaasta, troglodytes, dracotaurs, and dragons, and wyverns
Then the kaorti, illithids, and slaadi each have their own world.
The githyanki and githzerhai each have a world and are in a constant state of war.
A world inhabited by plants like shambling mounds, tendricolous, needlefolk, vine horrors, yellow musk creeptsocers, and night twists
Tsochari would be cool to use as well
A planet of gnolls would also be fun.
And then there's lil old earth and the humans. This btw is by no means a decisive list. More could be added at any time.
Any thoughts on what you see?

Gildedragon
2013-06-30, 07:17 PM
Planet of the Hadozee

Night walkers stride between the stars

Charismatic humanoid or incorporeal aliens create cults

Invisible stalkers, Belkars, Illuriens are all nice mostly amorphous monsters

The mercurion is made from living liquid metal

The Zern and their experiments are more malign mad science and flesh warping

There is this undead thing that looks like an illumian, iirc it has a very alien feel to it and its motivations

And there is a race of mirror creatures, somewhere

Fyermind
2013-07-01, 03:20 AM
Hellwasp Swarms.

Oozes dropping from space are pretty fun.

Grinner
2013-07-01, 03:33 AM
Well what I've got so far:

Any thoughts on what you see?

Why limit them to just a single planet each? I think the Kaorti and Mind Flayers would be more prolific than that. I'm not suggesting that you take the direction of Warhammer 40K, but a small empire each wouldn't be out of the question. The same goes for the other more intelligent creatures.

Of course, if these are all just background details and all of the action is to take place on Earth, then it may not be worth much thought.