PDA

View Full Version : monologue spell 3.5

Blackhawk748
2013-06-30, 12:56 AM
now, im sure i saw this somewhere, where you cast the spell, accurately called Monologue, im pretty sure it let you talk for awhile and not get interrupted.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-30, 01:54 AM
Talking is a free action, why would you ever need this?

Blackhawk748
2013-06-30, 03:03 AM
to stop players from interrupting my villains monologues

eggynack
2013-06-30, 03:15 AM
I dunno. Contingent wall of force? You could always just let your players interrupt the monologue, or mention that talking is a free action, and have him continue the monologue on his next turn. A monologue that takes place during a fight is pretty neat. Alternatively, make all of your major villains half dire tortoise, thus removing the incentive to go for a surprise round.

Flickerdart
2013-06-30, 03:16 AM
to stop players from interrupting my villains monologues
A smart villain would never monologue unless his enemies are already trapped somehow, and ideally also silenced. A stupid villain deserves to be interrupted.

Incidentally, a bard's Fascinate ability is perfect for this.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-30, 03:16 AM
Anyone who's interrupt a monologue isn't someone who's going to acknowledge a spell like that anyway.

CRtwenty
2013-06-30, 04:25 AM
Gah, I absolutely hate it when the PCs attack my NPCs midsentence. It doesn't even have to be a villian either, they've knocked out Innkeepers, Guard Captains, Kings, you name it for talking too much.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-30, 07:31 AM
Bardic Fascinate, particularly backed up by a Suggestion to reinforce it. All able to be done by Bardic Music, not needing any actual spells being cast.

I actually once wrote up a Bard who was focused in such tactics. Basically, he got Celerity on his spell list, became immune to Daze, then started using Fascinate and Mass Hold Person.

His name? Richard of Astley.

PersonMan
2013-06-30, 08:01 AM
Gah, I absolutely hate it when the PCs attack my NPCs midsentence. It doesn't even have to be a villian either, they've knocked out Innkeepers, Guard Captains, Kings, you name it for talking too much.

The appropriate response: "It's not your turn. Wait until it's your turn to move, or I'll start having monsters take their turns when it's your move, too"

If they think you're bluffing, heartlessly rip into them with chained enemy turns during their brief "hey if you go there I can cast this and hit them all" planning thing.

Or just say "hey guys please stop I don't like that".

Alienist
2013-06-30, 08:01 AM
Bardic Fascinate, particularly backed up by a Suggestion to reinforce it. All able to be done by Bardic Music, not needing any actual spells being cast.

I actually once wrote up a Bard who was focused in such tactics. Basically, he got Celerity on his spell list, became immune to Daze, then started using Fascinate and Mass Hold Person.

His name? Richard of Astley.

Needs more immunity to grappling?

Alienist
2013-06-30, 08:07 AM

That's actually pretty funny.

"I? I am Sancho. You? You are no Sancho."

**BOOT TO THE FACE**

Consider it a sign that your players like action. If you have a group split between action/talky-man, make sure that the action players aren't there when missions are being handed out. When they interrupt, just say "you're not there, go back to your corner where you were repeatedly punching the old man you _thought_ was the quest giver in the face".

If it was 4th ed I'd be sure to throw lots of minions at them, so they can get the warm fuzzy feeling of cutting a bloody swathe through the enemies.

Or, as Conan used to say. "Darn! I've cut my bloody swathe!"

Not sure what the equivalent is in 3rd ed. Still, if they're playing a (nominally) heroic RPG, and they want to be the big darn heroes, _let them_.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-30, 08:26 AM
Needs more immunity to grappling?

Freedom of Movement is on the Bard's spell list, if necessary.

Methinks someone failed a Knowledge (Meme) check, though...

JKTrickster
2013-06-30, 08:28 AM
Honestly I feel that a lot of PCs just don't like having to listen to the DM drone on and on....

Unless of course you can actually make it interesting. If they're interested, the PCs won't interrupt the villain.

So maybe you can't hold the interest of your players during speech?

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-30, 08:48 AM
Letting a villain finish his monologue feels like losing the initiative (not mechanically, the real world definition). I would personally, if a villain goes on and on, wait until he is no longer giving any useful information before preempting his finish.

If I can eke out a surprise round from interrupting a villain's monologue, I would do it Every. Single. Time.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-30, 08:59 AM
Uh, I don't know of anything official. Years ago, I came up with the Filibuster (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?242438-Humor-New-spells-Filibuster-and-True-Filibuster) (and True Filibuster) spells for exactly this purpose, though.

Blackhawk748
2013-06-30, 02:12 PM
honestly my monologues arent that long, they're like a few sentences, they just like interrupting them. Its usually something like: "So you have made it to my lair, well to bad its to late to stop the (insert main plot point here). NOW YOU DIE!!" combat begins.

However as soon as he starts talking my players yell, "I SHOOT HIM" then theres an argument about him being flatfooted, and it gets stupid fast.

Mnemnosyne
2013-06-30, 02:27 PM
What are you describing his actions as? If you just say he starts talking, darn tootin' they expect him to be flat-footed. If you describe him as readying his weapon and assuming a fighting stance, preparing himself for the inevitable assault, then it's pretty clear he's not flat-footed.

Blackhawk748
2013-06-30, 02:33 PM
him being or not being flatfooted is not the point, i just want him to have his small monologue, considering most of my villains never get to say much. So i invented the DM Cut Scene Button, which they still ignore

Waker
2013-06-30, 02:35 PM
Use Illusions to deliver your monologue, Magic Mouth is a great example.
BBEG: "I apologize for being absent. You'll be happy to know that while you've been listening to this, my minions have moved into flanking positions."
Party: "Wait, what?"

Alternatively you might use Programmed Image, Whispering Wind, Message or any number of other spells that allow recorded messages or speaking at a distance.

137beth
2013-06-30, 03:50 PM
Whispering wind may be your best option. Use it when they are too far away to attack, but know they are close.

Waker
2013-06-30, 03:55 PM
Whispering wind may be your best option. Use it when they are too far away to attack, but know they are close.

Maybe you should turn back. It's dangerous ahead.
Still coming eh? Well, don't say I didn't warn you.

Blackhawk748
2013-06-30, 04:08 PM
ok im doing that, a creepy wind that talks, awesome.

Krobar
2013-06-30, 04:45 PM
I've done that to DMs and had players do it to me. There's nothing wrong with it, and there's nothing in the rules that says the PCs have to stand around and listen to the BBEG's derogatory, self-serving speeches. Just roll with it - that's really the best thing you can do. I know it gets annoying. You can always ambush them instead.

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." -- Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez, known as The Rat.

Blackhawk748
2013-06-30, 04:51 PM
it would be fine, if they didnt do it when the speech had plot significance, i dont interrupt villain speeches, i buff myself while they talk, i let them talk, mainly because i know that my DM puts work into their speeches and id like to hear them. I mean its most villains only time in the spotlight for us

Cheiromancer
2013-06-30, 05:30 PM
Blackhawk, I sympathize. But a spell is probably not the best way to go about it. Tell your players that you need your lovingly created villains to have a moment in the spotlight before they die horribly. And also you have to convey plot information. And so kindly not to interrupt.

PersonMan's suggestion ("It's not your turn...etc") is great advice. But rather than giving the enemy extra turns when they are talking ("hey if you go there I can cast this...") maybe just give a surprise round to your villain if the players interrupt during a monologue. And/or give them a +2 bonus to all their d20 rolls.

If you like, make it a magic item.

Villain's Monocle: If interrupted by an opponent during a monologue (of 25 words or less) the wearer of the villain's monocle gains the following benefits against that opponent: the wearer does not count as flat-footed, can treat that opponents as flat-footed during the wearer's next action and gets a +2 bonus to all d20 rolls against that opponent for the duration of the current encounter. For the wearer to get the benefit the opponent must insist on announcing actions and/or rolling initiative despite a request to allow the monologue to continue.
Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, nerveskitter; Price 50 gp.

(The price is low since it is kind of a metagame item)

nedz
2013-06-30, 05:56 PM
Just have your villain stand behind a pit trap. Once Leroy is in his spider hole the villain can continue being civilised.