PDA

View Full Version : Pearl of Speech

Asteron
2013-06-30, 01:29 AM
Does the Pearl of Speech (MIC pg 118) make Natural Spell obsolete, or does it not function in Wild Shape if taking RAI into account?

eggynack
2013-06-30, 01:38 AM
Natural spell duplicates the verbal, somatic, and material components of a spell. Pearl of speech only duplicates verbal.

Edit: Also, focuses.

Asteron
2013-06-30, 01:46 AM
Derp. Forgot about the S/M components...

eggynack
2013-06-30, 01:52 AM
Eyup. Natural spell is the best, and there's just nothing like it. I guess you could take still spell and eschew materials, but that seems like a long way to go for emulating a single feat. It might be possible to toss a wilding clasp onto your material components pouch, and bypass that issue in that manner, but you're still up a spell level for still. It's just one of those things that you can't substitute for.

Glimbur
2013-06-30, 08:39 AM
The funniest thing I have seen done with a Pearl of Speech is giving it to a mule.

Barsoom
2013-06-30, 11:09 PM
It's a matter of DM interpretation, of course, but I'd say Pearl of Speech doesn't even overcome the problem of verbal components. It merely gives you the ability to speak and understand a language, let's say Common, but the verbal component of a spell isn't any specific language. Sure as heck ain't Common.