PDA

View Full Version : Layers of Reality IC

IamL
2013-06-30, 06:36 AM
As you each enter your respective homes, you all feel a twinge of excitement, a dash of nervousness, and a smattering of jitters. You feel pumped to enter the game for the first time with your friends.
You insert the chip you purchased at the store into the console, strap the two electrodes to your head, and enter the game, crafting your character carefully and precisely whilst chatting with your friends, who will be the rest of your adventuring party.

After that, you find yourself awakening in an apparently desolate town. The town is small, consisting only of two streets, a main street that ends in the town hall and is flanked by shops and an inn, and a second road, branching out about two thirds of the way up main street and leading to the private residences.

It is then that you realize that the town isn't desolate, it's just very early in the morning, roughly two o'clock.

Lexin
2013-06-30, 06:57 AM
Chris just entered the game and looks around excited.
"Well, that's a little underwhelming for now." he says quietly, leaning on the closest wall, waiting for others to show up.
He notices that's it's actually almost the middle of the night and says through the chat (teamspeak?).
"On one part I would like you to hurry, cause I want to check the place... on the other it seems that everyone is still asleep here..."

Was there any intro to the game, so we know where we are?

Thokk_Smash
2013-06-30, 09:38 AM
Dan looks around with awe and excitement at the virtual world around him. He throws a few fast punches, then jumps into a roundhouse kick. He lands gracefully, and is unable to hold in a chuckle.

"This is so awe-er," he cut himself off. This was a roleplaying game, after all. Coughing to clear his throat, he said, "Is there even anything to do this early in the morning? All the humans will be asleep."

I second the question of whether we get any background. Perhaps in the OOC thread?

speeddemon
2013-06-30, 05:28 PM
Gerard had spent a bit of time thinking about his character. The Game had so many different options and rules it was hard to keep track of. Still he was able to find a build that seemed neat, and thus Zakoth was born!

He opened his eyes for the first time in the game world. It was so neat to see and feel it as if Gerard was really in this world. He gave himself a look around with his new body. He hadn't made it much different than his apperance out of the game, but the differences were still there, like his new pointed elven ears. He also felt really strong. He remembered one of his class abilities, and decided to try it out. He let loose a kick forward and watched the air wave from it smash into the wall ten feet away. He jumped a little when he realized the ruckus and noise that was causing, but breathed easier when he realized no one else was around, due to how late it was.

He goes over to talk to the rest of the group that's made it into the game so far. "Wow, this game is really neat. Did anyone catch the name of this town? I know it was mentioned at the begining, but I kinda forgot." He asks sheepishly.

I too would like background. Also, I know it's pretty deserted, but are there any NPC's or other PC's (not from our group) around?

Thokk_Smash
2013-06-30, 05:37 PM
"Nah, I didn't catch it either Ger-er, Zakoth," Dan said. "That was pretty cool what you did just there. Decided on a martial artist kinda class, then? Same here! Good choice.

He slipped into a loose stance, lowering his center of gravity and bringing his fists up in front of his face. "Wanna have a little spar while we wait for the others to join us?"

speeddemon
2013-06-30, 06:42 PM
"Your a martial artist too? Nice." Gerard was still a little worried about making the right choices and didn't want to make any wrong choices in character building, so he was glad that someone else felt it was a good type too. He got a little more nervous, however, when Dan asked to spar against him.

"Wait-what!? I-I'm no-not sure" he pause for a moment to collect himself, as his real world nerves had started to take over. It's just a game, have fun with it he told himself. Besides, this will be a good way to practice your class and how the game works right now, before we have to fight monsters, or anything. He then says in a more confidant tone "Sure, sounds like fun. We're both martial artist types, so we can use the 'non-lethal' damage for this fight, and it shouldn't affect our attacks negatively." He takes his stance too, about thirty feet away from Dan, er, Eanath he mentally corrects himself, looking at the screen name above his head. Man, it's gonna be hard to keep the multiple names straight in this game. He shakes his head clear of such thoughts and tries to focus on the fight, trying to just let the games controls and movements flow with what he wants. "You ready?" He asks, and when Eanath confirms that he is, Zekoth says "Alright... GO!" And bursts in to motion towards him.

Initiative [roll0]

IamL
2013-06-30, 06:51 PM
The name of the town is Görengål. That's all you know, since this is a new version of The Game, which was revamped due to several core glitches involving attack patterns of intelligent creatures like Dragons. (Epic reference, anyone?)
Anyway, you guys are some of the first people enterjng the revamped version of The Game, so you don't know jack about the game world.

Thokk_Smash
2013-06-30, 07:03 PM
"Awesome!" Dan cried, grinning widely as his friend took up his own stance. He tightened his muscles, feeling them respond like he was used to. Taking a deep breath, he rushed forward to meet Gerard.

Initiative: [roll0]

And thanks for the info, IamL

(Disregard completely the post that I just deleted. I can't believe I screwed up like that.)

speeddemon
2013-06-30, 07:27 PM
Zakoth switches to his Panther Prowls the Night stance as he charges forward, yelling "Ki-Yaa!" And launches a devastating kick towards Eanath. His newness to the Game disorients him however, and he misses him completely.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage (if it hits): [roll]1d8+1d12+5[/rollv]

Thanks for the info (personally I feel the dragon-arrow combo should be completely allowed :smalltongue:). A few more questions: When you say we're some of the first, does that mean we are beta testers (or the equivalent) to this game, like they had in Sword Art Online, or are we just some of the first people to enter and start playing? Also what happened to the people who had really powerful characters in the old Game? Did all the characters (and there progress) get wiped away, did everyones level get wiped away, but money is the same as before, or di eveything get updated with no real change in character standings?

EDIT: Well I still don't no how to get my charge damage to work in one roll, but it hardly matters since the attack missed by a mile.

Thokk_Smash
2013-06-30, 07:35 PM
Eanath sidesteps the kick, brows raised with respect. "Nice move," he says as he sees an opportunity for his own attack. Shifting closer, he sets himself and swings his fist at Zokath's stomach. "Here I come!"

Attack roll [roll0]

Potential damage roll [roll1]

(Edit: Oh, wow, that's not nice, forum roller. Must I really sacrifice more die to you?)

speeddemon
2013-06-30, 07:41 PM
Eanath's fist moves in towards him, but the game must be messing with his moves too, as Zakoth sees the attack coming and manages to step back from it. Zakoth decides to try that wind slash attack again and snaps out a fast kick towards Eanath.

Taking a five foot step back and using the ten foot punch technique to extend my reach.

Potential Damage [roll1]

EDIT: and that'll miss too, but only just barely this time, which is an improvement over our previous rolls of a 3 and a 1 on a d20

Thokk_Smash
2013-06-30, 07:45 PM
Eanath throws himself down onto the ground in order to avoid the blisteringly fast attack Zakoth had just thrown. Despite the close call, he grinned with excitement. Turning the momentum from the dodge into his stride, he closed once more with Zakoth and pressed the attack.

Potential damage: [roll1]

(Oh, and for your charge roll, roll the 1d12 separately perhaps.)

(Grrrrr. This is going nowhere fast, but it is a spar after all.)

speeddemon
2013-06-30, 08:14 PM
Zakoth managed to avoid the attack, but it looked like his hadn't done anything to Eanath either. He focused his energy into one strike, hoping to end this with a quick OHKO roundhouse kick.

Potential Damage [roll1] times 2

(Yeah I think that's the best way to go with charge damage)

(I guess that solves the damage problem, as I believe you just took 22 non-lethal damage)

Thokk_Smash
2013-06-30, 08:23 PM
Eanath saw the kick coming, but was just a hair too slow to dodge. It clocked him square in the forehead, sending him crashing to the ground in a boneless lump. He lay on the ground for a few seconds, letting the pain spread through his body in a familiar but unpleasant manner as his consciousness slipped away.

(Maybe we shouldn't have actually dealt damage, because I am now good and unconscious. Think there's a healer up at this hour?)

speeddemon
2013-06-30, 10:48 PM
His first thought was: alright, I finally landed a hit! His second was: Oh man, is he alright? As he saw Eanath crumple to the ground and he dropped down to check how he was. He was unconscious but otherwise fine. If he remembered the game rules correctly, he would be back on his feet in an hour or so, but he still felt really bad about causing that to be his friend's first experience to the game.

Jötunn
2013-07-01, 08:30 AM
"Wow, you guys really get into it, don't you."

A shape detaches itself from a nearby dark corner, evidently having appeared just in time to witness the final blow.

"I must say, this game is really interesting. The sheer number of character options alone... In any case, it took me a while to settle on this guy. So you're both martial artists, then? Which one are you, Dan or Gerry?"

speeddemon
2013-07-01, 09:20 PM
"Yeah, I got caught up in it a little too much, heh heh." Zakoth says, rather embarrassed by this. "I'm Gerard and that's Dan. I only dealt non-lethal damage to him, so he should be fine, but it'll take him an hour or so to get back up. Hopefully he'll be back up by the time the others have entered. And yeah, there are a lot of options. What did you pick?"

Jötunn
2013-07-02, 03:12 AM
The figure steps further into the light, and you see the name Levi Strange above his head.
"Ah, right! It's me, Sam. I think I might have mentioned this type of character once or twice - I'm a Beguiler, a kind of sneaky spellcaster. Let me see if I got it... right..." He opens up a menu, and reads out an instruction to the game world while holding out his palm. A set of silver lights appear and rotate, alternating quickly and slowly as Sam concentrates. "Cool, huh? I don't think I'm very good at directly fighting stuff, so I think I'll probably hide behind you two, but I should be able to pull off a few cool tricks to distract opponents for you." His hand curls into a fist, and the lights shut off.

I cast Dancing Lights.

speeddemon
2013-07-02, 09:53 PM
"That's still pretty awesome." Zakoth says, as he watches the lights swirl along Levi's hand. Zakoth raises his hand focuses for a second and calls up a menu too. As he scrolls through it he says "wow, this is really neat. Oh and don't worry I'm sure you'll still contribute plenty in a fight. Let's see , how do I do this..." he says as he starts fiddling around with the menu more. "Aha! Got it." He says as he send a friend and party invite to Sam. "This is what we'd normally do in the game, right?"

Escheton
2013-07-02, 10:23 PM
Loading in a little late an armed and armored giant red frogman quickly dashes to the monk seeking to get more grounded.

"Sorry I'm late, had audio on in the background. Was busy...heh heh.
Hmm, you clocked em pretty good. He should be out for half the day and feeling it for the rest, without aid...
So yeah, no friendly fire. Don't be that guy with the flamethrower or bazooka...
Luckily, I have mad skills, he said with a smile wider than a halfling is tall.

Hao So Serious, Mayhem Medic Appears above his head as he starts fiddling with gameplay options as Dan is recuperating.

Cast extended lesser vigor on the monk. Healing 22hp over 22 rounds.

Thokk_Smash
2013-07-06, 06:39 AM
After about a minute, Eanath groaned in pain as he came back to consciousness.

"Did someone catch the number of that mack truck that just hit me?"he asked groggily. After a few more seconds, he felt even better, and tentatively got to his feet. The fog of pain was lifting from his head, and he remembered that Zakoth had really got him good.

He felt a slight bruising on his pride; after all, he was the one with real life martial arts training. But he quashed that down without a thought and beamed a big grin.

"That was a great kick, Zakoth," he said, giving the other man a slap on the shoulder. Looking around, he counted up the new additions. "I think we're almost set. Just missing one other person, I believe..."

Anyone know where Tezla is?

speeddemon
2013-07-07, 11:47 PM
"Thanks" Zakoth says, glad there are no hard feelings between them. "I think it was just beginner's luck, though. I doubt I'll get that good on you again."

He looks around and says "yeah, we are. Also does anyone here know what to do once we're all in the game? I heard there are quests and stuff we can do, but I don't know much beyond that." Gerard asks tentatively, as he is trying to figure out what to do in this world, but still doesn't want to look like too much of an idiot.

Escheton
2013-07-08, 12:40 AM
"Sidequests can be picked up almost anywhere. But it's a longstanding meme to start quests in the Tavern. Which the developers have honoured. Read it in a preview. Quite nifty if ya ask me"

Thokk_Smash
2013-07-08, 12:48 AM
"Nah, don't sell yourself short," Eanath insisted. "But I'm sure we'll get plenty of chances to test our skills again--though not on each other, of course!"

With one last, boisterous chuckle, he winked at Zakoth before blinking. "Oh, right, we're kinda unrestricted on what we can do, aren't we? I think they call it 'sandbox', like we can do whatever we want. Though it would be nice to have some direction..." Eanath shrugged, and Dan was honestly at a loss. His inexperience with RPGs was coming back to bite him.

A bit slow, he realized that Hao was talking and quickly listened.

"Well, in that case, why not check it out? I guess there's nothing better to do at 2 in the morning, hahaha," he said, laughing at his bad joke.

Ya sniped me, Esch :smallmad::smalltongue:

Lexin
2013-07-08, 12:35 PM
"To the tavern!" says Chris cheerfully "Ah, my in game name is Lanakhad. One of the easiest to remember for this race..." he adds quietly and starts walking, trying to find a tavern.

speeddemon
2013-07-09, 02:06 PM
"O-Ok. Sounds good." Zakoth says as he follows Lanakhad. Zakoth had managed to get a pretty good idea of the numbers and character building concepts before the game, but the rest of it is new to him. He's really glad to have the others who know more about it than him to help, or he would be feeling really lost. He shakes himself out of his thoughts and starts focusing on looking around for a tavern.

IamL
2013-07-12, 10:48 PM
Make Search and Spot checks.

Thokk_Smash
2013-07-12, 10:57 PM
I guess we'll do the rolling in the IC.
Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]

IamL
2013-07-12, 11:10 PM
You pick your way uneventfully through the sleeping town, finding your way to he tavern, The Crimson Bull. It seems to be the only place in town not asleep, so finding it is no trouble at all.

Lexin
2013-07-13, 12:13 PM
"Let's go in." says Lanakhad and enters without hesitation.

speeddemon
2013-07-13, 08:42 PM
"Alright" Zakoth says, a bit nervous and a bit excited as he follows Lanakhad into The Crimson Bull.

Not sure if we'll need a spot or listen for inside the tavern but I'll make them anyways
Listen: [roll1]

Thokk_Smash
2013-07-13, 08:47 PM
"Alright, let's get this show on the road!" Eanath wooted as he pumped his fist into the air. Following his fellows into the Bull, he cast his eyes around eagerly.

I guess I'll also roll spot/listen.

Listen: [roll1]
Aaand, a Sense Motive to feel the attitude of the room: [roll2]

IamL
2013-08-02, 08:23 AM
Really, really sorry; was cleaning out my subscriptions and accidentally deleted this from the list. Here goes again?
As you step inside the warm room from the cold outdoors, a gust of wind blows from your back, as per the law of equilibrium. You can feel a baker's dozen eyes on you, as if you interrupted something. The tavern is sizeable, but not giant, two floors tall. After five seconds or so, it appears that the inhabitants of the tavern have all finished sizing you up, and conversations begin again.
The bar is to your left hand side, in the corner of the room, the stairs upwards are to your right.
The tables seat six, maybe eight if you squished together, and there are several tables open. There are only thirteen people down here at this hour, seven men and six women, not including your party.
What do you do?

Lexin
2013-08-03, 06:11 AM
Lanakhad walks to the bar with a cheerful expression, sits down and talks to the bartender.
"Hello there! Anything interesting going on lately?"

No problem... although a week or so more and I would have deleted mine...

Escheton
2013-08-03, 06:17 AM
"Beer me!", the frogman shouts across the room to the bartender as he stoutly threads towards the bar while it's patrons are buffering. Literally throwing back the ale he pauses a moment to see if he feels any effect.

IamL
2013-08-03, 11:37 PM
Lanakhad: The bartender is sullen, and he mumbles a "not much, as he tosses a beer to your companion. Would you like beer?

Hao: The beer tastes like heaven, but is strong, almost like vodka or moonshine. You feel your brain being intoxicate after a single mug of the stuff. Make a Fortitude save.

Escheton
2013-08-04, 02:30 PM
[roll0]
"Sweet inebriation! Hit me again. Hao said, pleasantly surprised by feeling the effects of his drinks.

speeddemon
2013-08-05, 02:17 AM
Zakoth sees the others settling in quickly, and decides to join them. Alright, we came here to get quests and info right, let's try for that. He goes to the barkeep and asks "Excuse me, but would you happen to need or know anyone who needs the services of an adventuring group?" While he asks this he looks around to see if he can tell if an of the other people are PCs or NPCs.

IamL
2013-08-05, 10:00 PM
Hao: You shake off the drunk feeling, but, going for another, you must make another save, this time, at a -2 penalty. The beer is amazing, though. It feels like it was brewed by Dionyses himself.

Zakoth: The surly bartender shrugs. "Check around yourself. Want a beer?"
Zakoth and Lanakhad, make Sense Motive checks. And Gather Infornation, too, while you're at it.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-05, 10:08 PM
Eanath bounds in behind Zakoth, looking around as the others talk. He doesn't know the first thing to ask, so he just sits down next to Zakoth and listens in.

Possible Sense Motive check, since I'm next to Zakoth: [roll0]

Sorry for not replying earlier.

IamL
2013-08-05, 10:14 PM
No problem. You sense that the bartender is surly because he is a bit of an antisocial genius. His few curt words are said mechanically, almost resignedly. He feels that he should be elsewhere. His eyes glow with intelligence and a passion for something that isn't being here right now.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-05, 10:40 PM
Staring at the bartender a bit intensely, Eanath smiles and says, What're you doing in this kinda place? Sorry to be rude, but you seem a bit...out of place here. As if struck by an idea, he places a gold piece onto the counter and says, Gimme a beer and keep the change.

IamL
2013-08-05, 10:49 PM
The man's grey eyes flash briefly with a pained look, then return to normal as he re-composes himself.
as you hand him the gold piece, he picks it up, awed. "Are you sure? The change would be nine silvers, more than I make in a day, more than most folk make in half a week."
He turns to fill a mug, realizes he's out of beer, and motions for you to wait a second before disappearing into the back room. He comes back out five minutes later, with fresh-brewed booze. The man was fast, and judging from Hao, he was very good.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-05, 10:58 PM
Eanath shrugs before reconsidering. Weeell, maybe I'll take two silver pieces back, but you can keep the other seven, he says sheepishly. He takes the offered beer and drinks a mouthful, stunned by the exquisite flavor. This is pretty good! Do you make this yourself?

IamL
2013-08-05, 11:08 PM
"Yes. It's fairly simple, nothing like the alchemy I want to-"
He cuts himself off, realizing that he's said more than he feels comfortable saying.
"Yes. Thank you."

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-05, 11:27 PM
Eanath takes another sip of the beer. No, don't clam up, I'm interested. Anyone who can make beer this good, that quickly has to be something special. Certainly fit for more than tending bar in some random pub. He feels he is taking a risk of angering the man, but he knows that the man at least deserves some kind words...however backhanded they might be.

Escheton
2013-08-06, 06:22 AM
[roll0]
"Bachus be praised, man! What are you, some kind of bartending wizard? Another! Hahaha!, Hao exclaims, greatly enjoying himself.

IamL
2013-08-06, 12:35 PM
The bartender shakes his head, lips pursed. "Later. The crowd thins out around nine in the morning. Come back then."
Then, to Hao,
"Not a wizard, Frogman, just very, very good."
You are now drunk. You take a -2 circumstance penalty to all checks tied to Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, and Charisma, except Perform, which you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to.

Escheton
2013-08-06, 01:17 PM
Hoa So Serious jumps on a table and does a drunken rendition of "little teapot", which given his rotund form is actually quite striking.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-06, 07:43 PM
Eanath nods and takes another sip of beer. He continues to make attempts at small talk with the bartender as the man tends to other customers. He chuckles obligingly at Hao's rendition of "I'm a Little Teapot", and whiles away the hours until 9 o'clock.

IamL
2013-08-13, 12:59 PM
The hours pass as you while them away with small talk, counting games, and drinking. Hao recovers from his drunken stupor in just enough time to see the bartender beckoning your group into the back room

Lexin
2013-08-13, 01:18 PM
Lanakhad shrugs and walks in. Dazed look on his face.
'What exactly was I doing all this time?' he thinks as he walks.

IamL
2013-08-13, 01:25 PM
lol.
The back room is filled with all sorts of alchemical equipment and ingredients for beers.
The bartender waits patiently for you to enter.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-13, 01:40 PM
Eanath walks into the back room, giving the bartender a smile.

Thanks for your time, sir, he says as he sits down on an empty seat. I don't think we caught your name. What are you called?

IamL
2013-08-13, 01:46 PM
"My name is Derhak. I have no surname. And it is I who must thank you."
He waits for the others to enter.

IamL
2013-08-18, 02:46 PM
As your group sits down at his worktable, which is filled with sheets of paper, alchemical equations inscribed upon them, his face grows dark and grim.
"Friends, I must have your word that this information, and from where it came, will not, under any circumstances, be divulged. It has rather...weighty political consequences. I am Derhak, and I was prophecied to be the end of the world. My name, given moments before the prophecy, means, lliterally trabslated, "The blade," but the surname I have shed means, translated literally, "That which kills." My grandfather, you see, was a paladin who died holding off a horde of beasts, and our family gained that title. Where I'm from, that title holds great honor. Anyways, my full name, translated, means "the blade that kills," which was seen to be a bad omen and further proof of the Oracle's words. My mother cast me off, but my father followed me, took care of me, and taught me alchemy, mathematics, physics, engineering, and magic. I learned and mastered those easily. He taught me also the ways of martial arts he had studied. He was killed by a sect that follows the Oracle's word without question, and saw him as a vile man who attempted to bring about the end of the world. I found this town, and I holed up here, eventually finding a chance to enter the competition that would enable me to earn my apprenticeship to the world's greatest alchemist, Kista Pulla. However, the assassin's guild here, an influential political group known as The Watchers, found out about my worth to the Oracle's followers, and forced me into this work. If I fail even one of their orders, I will be handed over, and the Watchers would collect substantial bounty for it. The only reason they don't is because I am, indeed, an excellent alchemist and architect, so I hold as much value alive as I do dead. I'm grateful for the fact that they haven't figured out why the Veil, the Oracle's followers, want me so badly. That would ensure my survival, but it would also enable them to use me as an even bigger bargaining chip against the world.