PDA

View Full Version : Scrying? What even?

Rossebay
2013-06-30, 01:35 PM
We're level 5, but I'm trying to make a level 3 wizard cohort focused on scrying...

Only, I've never even cast a divination spell before. What are good scrying spells of each level? This cohort's basically going to be my mobile intelligence web, so all I need him for is predicting engagements, finding my enemies, and protecting me from teleporting assassins.

Is that a tall order, or are we looking at an easy job? Any good feats or prestige classes to look at? Should I be looking for some early-entry tricks?

GreenETC
2013-06-30, 01:45 PM
Here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871402/Tsuyoshis_Guide_to_Divination_Spells:_G-ds_Eyes) is the Divination spells guide, though it doesn't list a lot of the extremely niche spells, for obvious reasons. My Wizard enjoyed using Chain of Eyes a lot, because if you can get an enemy unconcious, you can slap it onto them and then watch as they head back to report to their leader about the intruders, giving you tons of information.

Rossebay
2013-06-30, 02:09 PM
Thanks, that definitely covers a lot of spells on the divination side.

However, are there any ACF's I should look into? Anyone know of any A+ prestige classes? Any hidden gems in the feats?

Rubik
2013-06-30, 02:21 PM
Definitely look into the spontaneous divination ACF from, I believe, Complete Champion. Then you can be like Milo. (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20)

Amidus Drexel
2013-06-30, 02:24 PM
Thanks, that definitely covers a lot of spells on the divination side.

However, are there any ACF's I should look into? Anyone know of any A+ prestige classes? Any hidden gems in the feats?

Divine Oracle (Cdiv) is an excellent PrC for someone that wants to make a lot of divinations. Hell, you don't even need to be a divine caster.

Oh, and the Insightful Divination feat (Cmag) is pretty good too. It gives you a bonus on initiative (and saves, I think) after you cast a divination spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-06-30, 02:48 PM
There is a Wizard ACF in Complete Champion that trades your 5th level bonus feat for the ability to spontaneously cast divination spells, by RAW you could cast any divination spell, ANY; but Errata changed it to spells in your spellbook, it is still very strong since you can prepare utility/combat spells and just whip scrying when you need it. According to some it also opens up anything that requires spontaneous casting (like versatile spellcaster for example); but it is a rather high OP trick so clear that we your DM first.

Edit: Swordsage'd