PDA

View Full Version : Boosting craft: alchemy at low levels

Yogibear41
2013-06-30, 02:52 PM
Hello, all for my newest character I'm trying to theme him as an alchemist/apothercary/herbalist type. I've already found a handful of items I would like to make, but I think the craft DCs will be a little to high for me to get to. (I'm working on make these items pre character play so that If I craft them myself I will only have to pay for 1/3 their base price and so will be able to start with more stuff)

I have approximately 1200 gold to spend, and will be starting at level 3.

I'm looking for any items that can give me boosts to my craft skill so I can reliably get dc 25s by taking 10.

I have acces to 1, 1st level ranger spell per day if that can help my case in anyway.

Bakkan
2013-06-30, 06:19 PM
Off the top of my head:

6 ranks
Masterwork Alchemist's Lab (500 gp)
Custom item of +2 Craft[Alchemy] (400 gp)
Specialized (Craft[Alchemy]) trait
All this gives +11. If you have a +4 Int you succeed while taking 10. If you're willing to take Skill Focus, you only need a +1 Int.

Yogibear41
2013-06-30, 06:58 PM
After reading the PHB, I was under the impresison you could get a +2 bonus from an alchemy lab as well as a +2 bonus from Masterwork Artisan tools.

Vaz
2013-06-30, 07:26 PM
You can stack Dodge bonuses and untyped. Circumstance bonuses never stack with other circumstances. Unless both are different bnuses or explicitly state that they stack, then they do not stack.

Note I am AFB so unable to check.

If you are a Cleric, you can cast Guidance of the Avatar for a +20 to the check, and Divine Guidance for a +8 to the check. Stack on top of above for +39, and presumably Int 12 or so for the skill points, that is 40.

Having a few people aiding on the check adds +2 to it.

Yogibear41
2013-06-30, 07:50 PM
"Circumstance Bonuses: Circumstance bonuses stack when they arise from different circumstances. For example, you might get a circumstance bonus to Move Silently checks when you're walking on a soft surface, such as sand or moss. You might also get a circumstance bonus to Move Silently checks when moving in a very noisy environment."

From does it stack part 4.

Seems to me they are 2 different circumstances, one being a lab, and one being masterwork tools to work with it.

But Perhaps I am just desperate for the last +2 bonus I need.

The only spell casting I have access to is one 1st level ranger spell a day.(tried to go for the wizard casting as a ranger feat, but DM said no) I only have 1 level of ranger using the wild defender variant which starts my casting a level 1 instead of 4.

Atm I have Int 12, 6 ranks, Skill Focus, Illiterate Trait giving a +1 to craft alchemy. Giving me a +11 without items.

Invader
2013-06-30, 08:05 PM
I'd rule that in this instance they're the same. It's a circumstance bonus that comes from an item. If you try saying you get one from the tool and one from kit it'd be the same as saying you every bonus from multiple tools because technically different tools are different sources.

Yogibear41
2013-06-30, 10:43 PM
DM told me they don't stack :smallfrown: so no DC 25 items :smallfrown:

Vaz
2013-07-01, 04:15 AM
Then be a Cleric and have GuidNce of the Avatar up.